Notices

21 days thankful but terrified

Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days thankful but terrified

I am so very grateful to have made it 3 weeks. It was a really rough weekend. I was so close to throwing it all away. My desire to drink was so strong. I am so aware that I have been here before, and even stayed sober for over 2 months. It has taken me a year and a half of daily drinking to stop again. That scares me so bad. I am so afraid I will fall. I almost did this weekend. I need help with this. I haven’t been to a meeting yet. Which probably sounds stupid to everyone. I’m scared to show my face, to let people ‘see me’ and know that I struggle with this.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on your days. In my case I was just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am now on day 58 you can do it. One day at a time. It gets greater later
Old 07-01-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Soberrican, it is inspiring how many days you have and to hear it gets better. I feel great this morning and I am so thankful I stayed sober. Just can’t believe how close I came
Old 07-01-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it does sound like you could benefit from a meeting. I would understand not wanting folks to see you struggling if it were not an AA meeting. They are all in the same boat and love to see a new face. It might be just the thing you need. Its just a bunch of partyers who are trying not to drink.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Abraham. There is a meeting in 3 hours I’m going to go. I’m crying thinking about it but I know I need more help. Thank you for the encouragement. I guess your right. I don’t know why I’m thinking I’m walking into a room full of people that are goi g to judge me. That was really stupid. I attribute that to what everyone calls the AV which I think means alcoholic voice. I like what you said, I fit right in with a room full of party people. That is not scary
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not scary at all. Enjoy.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

24Violets- great job on 2 wks and your feelings sounds like normal stuff we relate to indeed! I'm glad you are going to the meeting. I had to realize that people are most often there for themselves (and plenty, to just be present for others) and not paying attention to me

One step and decision and day at a time. Glad you are here.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Violets
The insanity of the cravings does fade. I know in the moment it feels so real but a lot of us here have experienced the awful discomfort of cravings and made it through without drinking. I just got up and started moving. Get in the car and drive. In my early sobriety I came so close a few times to throwing it all away as well.
I am here to tell you it does get easier. I am over a year sober and although I spend time on this site alcohol is a fading memory for me. The cravings are non existent now.
There is life after addiction and it is so worth living.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks. I’m glad that you made it through the weekend sober.

What happened that you came close? Is there something you can add to your recovery plan for the next time you are in that situation? Perhaps attending a meeting would be a great tool for you to add?

Stay strong and stay close to SR today.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on not drinking. Ya never regret not drinking the next morning, huh?

The way you are feeling is normal. But try to see it as thinking that is part of your addiction. It is trying to separate you from the herd by making you feel ashamed and embarrassed. That is total crapola....tell you addiction to **** off.

Go that meeting. Know that most people in there have been right where you are. It does not matter what others think anyway. Remember, you are being of service when you are brave and hold your head high and say 'yep, I relapsed but I'm back'. That is inspiring to all. And you have 3 weeks! That is huge.

By coming here, you have helped me. Your honesty reminds me to never ever forget that a drink is never far away.

You are no less than, no more than anyone else. And neither am I. Hold your head high. Don't let your addiction make you believe a bunch of bs about yourself. You're doing it!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stopping and staying off booze are not easy. It’s a battle. Just keep fighting.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
24Violets- great job on 2 wks and your feelings sounds like normal stuff we relate to indeed! I'm glad you are going to the meeting. I had to realize that people are most often there for themselves (and plenty, to just be present for others) and not paying attention to me

One step and decision and day at a time. Glad you are here.
I went to the meeting at noon. It was very small so hard to slid in unnoticed. They were very kind. It was helpful talking about how we are each going to try to stay sober through this holiday
Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gettingcloser it helps to hear your cravings have lessened. I have felt shakey, like I am jumping out of my skin, with a very bad headache all day. This is how I felt over the weekend when I really wanted to drink. I want to get where you are so badly
Old 07-01-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Atlast9999 I struggled with all the triggers I am surrounded by. The weekend, the smell of wine on husbands breath, watching him have a beer after we worked hard in the yard. I had a bad headache that ibuprofen won’t work on, and pain has always been a trigger. New tools to fight this: I stopped and got some books at the library about addiction, went to a meeting, learned there finding hobbies that bring me joy will help
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Entropy1964 and Callas thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I held my head up and marched in that meeting. I have been through so much **** in my life. I am trying to be proud of my battle scars instead of feeling ashamed. Because I am still STANDING
Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink, you'll be able to stay sober.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you went to the meeting 24violets - sounds like a great step forward - congrats on 3 weeks!

D
Old 07-01-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've seen so many people over the years in and out and in and out of AA. I never saw anyone come back and get chastised, insulted, or looked upon unfavorably. If AA works for you, go back. Go tonight. You will be welcomed and people will be happy to see you.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
As long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink, you'll be able to stay sober.
I’m hanging on to this Least