Notices

Sober and determined

Old 06-30-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and determined

I didn't drink last night. I know I can't drink again.
I was determined to stay sober.

It was an eye opener as to how loud they were drunk, including my husband who spoke down to me etc after a good few drinks. I thought, is he always like this in their company and I've just not noticed because I've been drunk too?
Then he fell asleep outside, I tried to wake him and he just hit out at me and told me to leave him alone. I would have left him outside but our friends husband got him in.

This morning I got up to a clean house, feeling fresh. When he emerged no apology, said he can't remember so got nothing to apoligise for.

Now I've been terrible drunk and will put my hands up to it and would apoligise profusely the next day and grovel, but no not my husband so I'm having a nice day, just me and may go to a meeting later if I get bored. But I know I won't drink.
There's half a bottle in the fridge. May tip it away in a minute out of the way.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad to hear this Pinky!! You decided to have a plan for the night and did it.

It is indeed shocking (at first) to see drunk people when we are sober. Brings up a lot of "stuff" along the way. I'm not around many drinkers these days (def not abusers) but spending my first yr sober back serving in a restaurant, and working in the industry still, boy do I see and hear about it.

Making plans for the next few days and a little extra thought as to what you are doing in your sober days, etc is always a good plan when we've had a victory like this!

Take care.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It's rediculous that people drink themselves into stupor. The sneaky part of booze is that it doesn't take much initially.

My wife used to drink half a wine cooler and be done. She is up to 2 white Russians. She was half beligerant last week. I have been warning her. I can see she at least has a clue she was drunk.

You are nice to offer to bring your hubby inside. After the way he acted to you, next time you could let him sleep it off outside.

Until he decides enough, you will get the horror show again and again in ever escalating fashion. My wife used to leave me to my self and go out and have fun.

After a while, I started to envy her energy levels.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I’ve been there with my own husband. I loathe him when he’s drinking. I definitely would have let him sleep outside!

I echo August - take care of yourself in the next few days. IME, after attending a drinking event with my husband, I spent the few days after in an emotionally fragile state. Best to stay vigilant.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
I've kept busy today, been shopping and treated myself to a pair of linen trousers.
Just painted my toe nails, now for my fingernails. He's suffering with a bad hangover so left him to it.

I will keep viligant. I won't drink.

My girls get back off holiday Wednesday afternoon and I'm going to pick them up.
I want to look fresh and nice for them, not a hungover mess. I know it's small steps to rebuilding a relationship with them but I hope I'm heading in the right direction
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good JOB!

I'm rarely around drunk people. But the thing that smacked me across the face is how much people repeat themselves. Haha! Its hilarious. "Yeah, you said that. Uhhuh you just said that. And again".....and they all do it. Now ya gotta be at least a few drinks in, and it seems the boozers do it the most cause they have the tolerance to really way over drink and still be standing. Pretty entertaining....and I think "did I do that?". Yeah, I'm sure I did. And worse.....
Old 06-30-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on staying sober when those around you weren't.

I have also been in that position where I've been sober (because I was a child at the time) and witnessed nasty things family members said to each other. It's horrible.

Even just in general the states some people end up in. Yesterday morning I was out walking the dog so just before 7am and I witnessed a man staggering across the road, shouting and clearly drunk. I looked at it as strengthening my resolve to remain sober.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job, Pinky, glad you made it!

I can't imagine living with a drinker and trying to get sober. Must be terrible.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pinky, this is great to hear. Congratulations on your sober weekend.

I know in your last thread I mentioned I do live with someone who still drinks, however I must say he has NEVER been belligerent or negative towards me when drunk (Sadly I can't say the same about my own behaviour) I'm a bit concerned about him talking down to you, then deciding not to apologize because he 'couldn't remember' the next day. Sounds like he may have a drinking problem himself.
I can easily live with my husband because he isn't cruel when drunk, but I feel I'd personally be at risk of relapse in the early stages of sobriety had he been the way you are describing.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As a recent and new recovering alcoholic (4 months) I do not deem it appropriate to critisize other people’s drunk behaviour. I have been there many times and forgiven by many many times. I hope to do the same.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
As a recent and new recovering alcoholic (4 months) I do not deem it appropriate to critisize other people’s drunk behaviour. I have been there many times and forgiven by many many times. I hope to do the same.
I don't criticize people's drunk behaviour, however I do not condone people talking down or being unjustifiably rude to others whether drunk or not (esp as the OP is in early recovery). There's no point excusing someone for being nasty just because I was once a drinker myself. People can't just get a free ticket to insult others because they are drunk.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I find it increasingly difficult to be around people when they're drinking. Not because I want to join them. I find them annoying. My friends and I went out to dinner for my birthday after Rocketman (SEE IT, btw, really the story of how Elton John found himself and got sober than a traditional music biopic). One friend had two beers over the course of 2+ hours. Three of the others split two bottles of wine, and the other guy had 5 beers. They got louder and louder until I couldn't stand it anymore!