Notices

4th of July Suppport Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I encourage everyone to read through the thread from the start

July 4th sober plan!A lot of people will be faced with difficult situations this weekend

This link is about Thanksgiving but I think it applies equally well to July 4th.

Thanksgiving Survival Guide
  • Thanksgiving is two days away. Holidays can be difficult for sober people, or people struggling to get or stay sober.
  • Now is a good time to prepare.
  • We thought we'd share some tips. You can not only survive Thanksgiving, you can enjoy it. All you need to do is plan ahead. Please add your own in the comments below; this is by no means a comprehensive list.
  • Think ahead. Is it hard for you to be around alcohol? Be honest with yourself. Now is not a time for heroics. Keep your expectations realistic: if it is going to be too difficult, maybe this year is a time to do something different for Thanksgiving. Don't set yourself up to fail. You can spend a quiet time at home watching movies or hanging out with other friends, volunteer at a shelter serving food, or go to a meeting instead.
  • Thanksgiving is usually about family. If there are people in your family who trigger you, be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.
  • Have safe people to call - program their numbers into your phone in advance, and tell them you're going to call if things get tough. If everyone around you is drinking and it starts to bring you down, talking to someone else who is sober helps you remember that you are NOT alone.
  • Bring your own beverages. This is especially important if you're going to be around people who don't know you're sober. If you always have a drink in your hand, people won't hand you alcohol or ask if you want something to drink.
  • You don't have to over explain. If someone is pressuring you to drink, be ready with an answer. A white lie is totally acceptable - tell people you're on antibiotics, or you're watching your calories and so you aren't drinking.
  • Have an escape plan. If you can, bring your own car. Plan to go for a post-turkey walk - fresh air and exercise will get your endorphins flowing and help tamp down cravings.
  • Plan your exit in advance. If everyone is going to settle in to watch football and drink and you don't want to be part of it ... don't. Tell whoever is hosting that you have to leave at a certain time so you don't get drawn in to staying longer than you want to.
  • Remember to be proud of yourself - shame and guilt are huge triggers. Give yourself credit for staying strong.
  • Think about the next morning, when you'll wake up hangover-free and rested. Think about how horribly you felt the morning after drinking, and how sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."
  • Think through the drink. If you start romancing how nice "one drink" would be, remember how many times you told yourself you were only going to have one and failed. Having one is harder than having none, because once alcohol is in your system the obsession comes alive.
  • Remind yourself that Thanksgiving is just one day. A simple 24 hours, just like any other day. Don't put more importance on this day over any other.
  • Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • Believe in yourself. Getting sober and staying sober takes serious guts - you are brave and strong and true. If guilt, shame and remorse start talking to you, remind yourself that it's your disease sneaking in the back door. Let your sober voice ring loud and proud in your head.
  • Forgive yourself for wanting to drink. Don't expect that you won't be hit with a craving; it's natural. Prepare for how you're going to handle the craving instead of berating yourself for having one.
  • Be grateful. Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks.. make a gratitude list and carry it with you. Try to focus on the gifts you have in your life, all the possibilities that lie in front of you, instead of all the things you can't have. Sober, you can do anything.
^Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

Feel free to add any other tips here. Let's make this a sober weekend

D
Old 07-02-2021, 03:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I love being sober on those traditional "drink like a fish" holidays. Here's to another sober 4th. Celebrate it by not drinking.

More special events best celebrated sober:
New Years
Christmas
Thanksgiving
St Patricks Day
Friday Night
Weddings
Birthdays
Week Days
Old 07-02-2021, 04:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Remember the reason for the holiday.
It sure as hell isn't to celebrate alcohol.

Be grateful to live in such a great Country. Have a great meal. See some fireworks. Wake up tomorrow feeling great.

This will be my 2nd sober 4th in a row.

There were about 30 plus drunk ones in a row before that.
I'm liking the sober ones Much better. Especially on the 5th of July.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My fourth's used to be Booze, BBQ and Bombs (fireworks).....Not anymore this year it's just BBQ and Bombs!!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bumping this for 2022

Old 07-01-2022, 01:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This year I took the pledge that for July 4th instead of buying fireworks, which I don't get anyway, I would make a contribution to my local Humane Society. This is the one back in Ohio the one where I got Billie. I found their wish list on their website and ordered 60 cans of cat food to be delivered to them next week.

it's a small token of my gratitude for having found my girl Billie there over six years ago.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

I remember when I first joined in 2016, I couldn’t believe I made it 4 months without drinking….so Fourth of July was my excuse to crack open the wine…

Thanks for the reminder that even though I may not have any immediate temptation, I need to stay close and focused!
Old 07-01-2022, 03:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's awesome least!
My daughter helps a rescue and I do a little repair work time to time for them and see the poor animals.
Anything we can do to make their lives better makes you feel better too.

This will be my 3rd sober 4th. Next year will be my 4th 4th.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dee - Thanks always for these support threads. I can't imagine picking up again, but there can never be too many reminders.

Least & Fish - how kind to do that for the animals.

I remember my first 4th. It was early days, & I was still occasionally feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't 'celebrate' as I normally did. I look back & realize how ridiculous it was to get numb & stupid - only to be filled with regret afterwards.

Enjoy yourselves.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a safe, sober and enjoyable 4th of July tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2023, 03:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bumpity Bump

also some old timer advice here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...emptation.html (Any 4th of July tips to avoid temptation?)
Old 07-02-2023, 12:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bump again...

D
Old 07-02-2023, 12:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Nice thread! Alcohol just spoiled my holidays until a while ago. No more - everyday is a positive day.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear Calmself
Old 07-02-2023, 12:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish I could do this year what I did last year, and take the money I would have spent on fireworks (I don't) and make a donation to an animal shelter. Make a difference, not a noise. . Last year I ordered 60 cans of cat food for my humane society in Ohio where I got Billie. Kind of a way to thank them for the dog I adopted from there back in 2016.

She doesn't seem to be bothered by the noise tho, certainly not like my sweet old man Jack was. He would hide under my desk and tremble and shake. Poor old man.

But I'm so glad I don't drink. And drinking holiday is a bad time to be out, due to the drunk drivers all over the roads. I'd just as soon stay home.
Old 07-02-2023, 03:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It was said here recently. Remember why you’re doing this. I use a one sentence reminder. “To get back to who I was”. Positive energy, active, creative.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The 4th of July can be tough to get through sober. For many years I was usually drunk by the end of the day. Thankfully, those days are over for me.

Back when I was attending AA, it was not unusual to see someone show up to their first AA meeting after the 4th of July. The usual scenario was someone filled with remorse and shame, who got very drunk and made a fool out of themselves in some way. Don't let this be you.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Zebra
D
Old 07-04-2023, 12:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tips to stay sober on July Fourth

“For anyone newly sober, it takes some planning. This does not mean you stop having fun; it just means planning ahead not to compromise your sobriety,” said Marcel Gemme of Addicted.org.

https://www.standard.net/opinion/gue...n-july-fourth/
Old 07-04-2023, 06:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks for bumping this one up Dee

As I promised last year this is my 4th 4th sober.
I remember my last drunk 4th. Drinking all day and night. Feeling miserable but trying like heck to convince myself I was having fun. I also remember the next day. What a truly disgusting, miserable day it was.

This year, like the last 3, I will actually be having fun. I gots chicken on the smoker now then heading to daughter's for a good meal, snacks and watch the neighborhood break every firework law on the books. Lol
You didn't hear that from me. I'm sure many will be drinking so it's absolutely important someone stay sober in case. I will be at least one of those sober folks.

I hope everyone has a great day and if you don't stay sober today I hope you come back tomorrow.
I'm sure there will be millions waking with pain and regret tomorrow.