Notices

Feeling off - could use some strength

Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's definitely where my AA program started to be in play- I went every day and it was at bare minimum a time commitment of at least an hour and a half with travel time. Plus, at a lot of meeting places, people are there before an after and go to multiple meetings. Then all of a sudden, you had 930-1030 covered, then a noon-1 meeting and it's time for lunch!
I began to get a lot more than that out of meetings, but it is one of the easiest ways to start being in a safe place at most times of the day.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Incidentally I have clinical OCD, which is very similar to having the AV in addiction: a 'voice' that always focuses on what is logically speaking very insignificant, but nonetheless very hard to shake, even when you know it's irrational.
That does make it more difficult. I don't know what they do to alleviate it. Are you getting help for that? Is it something you will always deal with, or is there some light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
That does make it more difficult. I don't know what they do to alleviate it. Are you getting help for that? Is it something you will always deal with, or is there some light at the end of the tunnel?
Thanks, yeah I've had it since before drinking. I'm on an SSRI for it and CBT techniques do help for that, certainly.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I began to get a lot more than that out of meetings, but it is one of the easiest ways to start being in a safe place at most times of the day.
I never saw anyone drinking at a meeting, and I can't remember ever wanting a drink at a meeting. It doesn't get much safer than that. I've done more than one meeting a day a couple of times, but one meeting was enough to keep me sober for the rest of the day with maybe a mild craving on rare occasion.

I'm talking about the early days of course. Eventually, the struggle went away, and then all I had to contend with was that fleeting thought that I could get away with one drink, which was silly enough to laugh off. Then that went away too. After that, I was just completely content without alcohol in my life, and happy about it too.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, yeah I've been going to meetings just don't have a sponsor/haven't really started the twelve steps. But yeah I haven't been to a meeting since Wednesday - possibly the longest without one since my second week sober (now tenth) - I think that's got a big part to do with it. I was perhaps taking for granted how important they were for me. I actually can't wait for this one; I need it.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
My heart's pounding for fear of drinking tonight. Seems to have come out of the blue. I'm 99.9% sure I will not drink tonight but that 0.1% scares me.

I'd go running if I wasn't injured. I've done some weights and push-ups and stuff. Not enough. Just watching movies but maybe the violence of this movie is triggering me or something? I don't know. It's nearly over. Maybe a light movie after? A comedy? Zero appetite when heart is pounding like this.

The context is I'm alone at 10:30pm on Sat night; housemates have gone out (will surely come back late, drunk).

Anyways, just thinking out loud right now. I know people out there will understand.
Hi hope you passed through .What I would do is just close my eye sit back or lie down on a bed .Just surf the urging , deep breathing ,scanning thoughts with no judgement ,accepting all good and bad and no action for anything .Just be a witness.
Relaxation with focusing on breathing and noise around.
Initially it is hard but this is the best way to our own friend.Why not try ????