Notices

1 week sober today.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week sober today.

Today is my 1st week sober. Yesterday, I had almost been in a car wreck because a woman just decided to come into my lane without notice (which would have sucked, as I just bought this 2019). I had to swerve slightly and slam on my brakes. Anyways, THAT was a huge trigger. I could almost see myself coming home, drinking and going off about it, drinking more, and ending up rolling that all up into a blowout with my other half.... but I didn't.

It's something I've discussed with my girl, I need to learn how to deal with up's & down's sober. I can no longer have a stressful day & use alcohol to cope (if you can call it that, alcohol always snowballed the effect of a stressful day.. atleast to me).

Sleep has been so-so. Some nights I awake and I have a feeling I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep, maybe anxiety. This past week I have been very jumpy as well. I have knocked things over, and dropped things. I have had times responding to a question and I start to stumble over words. I walk out of my door on a beautiful morning headed to work, and it's almost overwhelming in an uncomfortable way. Sobriety in itself has seemed intoxicating to me this week.

Anyways, just wanted to come and let you guys know that a week is in the books, with the journey forward still in front of me.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and glad you have one week under your belt. The shaky, lack of sleep, hard to respond, etc sounds pretty typical for the first week. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on surviving one week...it all gets better...

My thought process is alcoholism is a "behavior" problem...I don't know how to deal with my thoughts, feelings, events of the day so I run to alcohol to cope....and then bad behavior leads to bad consequences.

The longer i stay sober the more I learn how to cope with all the "firsts".

You DID it...your "first" road issue...and didn't go home and indulge over it....milestones along the way.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations on one week.
We are all different and on our own journeys.
It's early days still so keep racking up days and weeks and you will find some inner peace.
Stay posting join a few recurrent threads.
V.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Job well done one day at a time you're going to have to deal with the Good Bad and The Ugly at least with a clear mind you can get through this
Old 06-29-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I completely understand where you're coming from. Learning to deal with situations that we used to confront with alcohol takes time. We have to learn to retrain ourselves and our way if thinking-- not easy.

Congrats on a week! You're off to a great start!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeroNowhere570 View Post
I need to learn how to deal with up's & down's sober. I can no longer have a stressful day & use alcohol to cope
Wow that's massive progress in the first week: not only realising this, but actually PRACTICING this. Keep it up!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations ZeroNo!

This totally spoke to my experience in early recovery.
Originally Posted by ZeroNowhere570 View Post
I have knocked things over, and dropped things. I have had times responding to a question and I start to stumble over words. I walk out of my door on a beautiful morning headed to work, and it's almost overwhelming in an uncomfortable way.
Your self-awareness is strong, and it's great that you have the support of your girlfriend. You can do this!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first few weeks of my sobriety were incredibly tough. I was bored, fidgety and like you I couldn’t sleep. Every evening at 7 o’clock, the wine clock would chime, but I somehow ignored it. You need to be super strong to ignore that urge when stressful events occur. Well done to you - really - for one week and avoiding alcohol after a stressful event.

The next one will be easier.

i had to take my mum to a hospital on my day 51. I really really wanted a drink then, but I held off. A few more minor events happened, but things get easier.

Six months on, I wouldn’t even think of alcohol when things are going wrong.

You’ll be fine if you do whatever it takes to steer clear of alcohol (and those bad drivers) for a few weeks more, and then it becomes the norm not to drink.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good on you for one week, ZN! It sounds a cliche, but things will get better, and quitting drink is a wise decision that you will never regret. Sobriety itself seeming intoxicating is a good way to put that odd, overwhelming feeling of early discomfort. It will pass. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and racking up those sober days. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A whole week - that's wonderful, Zero. You're doing great - be proud.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad no one was hurt ZN. Congrats on your week - it only gets better from here

D
Old 06-29-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week. Onto the next 🙂