Notices

Six Months Sober

Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6 months! Something to be so proud of, mns. Things will continue to get better.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
It’s difficult for me to say what exactly has been “working,” because I don’t have any specific things I do with regards to staying sober. I don’t go to meetings, I only log onto here once or twice a month. I really don’t have a method.
I'm happy to hear this. It wasn't that easy for me. On the other hand, it was a lot easier for me than for many others, but you can't really tell either. To others, it may have looked like I had no struggle at all, but before I started associating with other alcoholics in recovery, there was at least a year on my own, working through denial, trying to moderate, and watching myself get worse by the week. Then I quit and things came together in a hurry, but believe me, I was one miserable pup for a long time before I just walked away.

Your story is inspiring to me. I don't want to believe recovery has to be a struggle for everyone. I don't know if a better understanding of what you have done could be put into a format for others. But whatever you've got, I want. Well, I need to qualify that a bit. I've pretty much got that now, but 25 years ago, it sure could have made things a Hell of a lot easier.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you for your thoughts DriGuy.

I’ve endured more than my fair share of adversity in life. And one of the lessons I’ve learned is to never compare my problems to those of others. I feel like people these days are always trying to one-up each other’s hardships. And it is a recipe for bitterness. I’ve learned to assume that everyone is, has, or has yet to suffer from their own form of tragedy in life, and it’s not up to me to evaluate how easy or difficult it is for them to get through it. And that includes something like addiction. Everyone’s experience is unique.

That being said, there definitely seemed to be a lesser degree of effort required of me at the beginning of the year to avoid drinking compared to past attempts, but I’m not dwelling on it. I struggled for years, and that chapter is closed. I’ll just continue to savor the simple pleasures of sober life.