Notices

Day 48 sober. Why do I feel sad?

Old 07-07-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
It was all about dopamine. I took months to normalize. The whole time, the crave lingers.

It is still there today.

But, I deal with life drug free, minus some supplements. I stay clean by any means necessary.

Thanks.
thanks for your reply. I don’t crave the taste of alcohol, but I sometimes miss the fun of “partying” with it in hand. But for me, it was hard to stop once I started. 😞
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
Welcome to the human race, you are normal. Emotions/feelings are temporary. Values are more important than our feelings. You should value yourself for your actions. Look for other high value behavior in life that will empower you. To each his own but exercise, music, writing, etc. Remember for years your values have centered around the quick fix or mood changer of alcohol. You have probably been on autopilot. It takes months to change.

We need purpose in life to be happy. We need values to find our purpose.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Happy 4th and great job on 48 days! Like Dee and others said, it takes awhile for everything to settle and stabilize- emotions for sure. Learning to deal with blah and "just OK" was one of the hardest things for me. I'd gotten so used to ups and downs, drama and anxiety.....

You're early - keep going - life gets clearer and better, plus we learn how to handle good, bad and in-between without drinking.
Thanks August! Your reply helps. Thanks for the encouragement. Happy summer to you.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Sober people have feelings too.
True 😊
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
things get flat, too. you will go through all kinds of stages....physical and mental....relax, this is normal healing!!
Thank you, sugar bear. I’m impatient, so I want everything perfect right away. Lol
Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
The fact that you are allowing yourself to feel- without alcohol- is in itself a win.

The fact that you are feeling sad- without a specific cause- is better than feeling the emotion due to regret over continuing to drink.

Remember why you chose to lead life alcohol free, keep in mind that you are just beginning to build your “sober muscles”, and continue to look for the beauty, power, and hope in the journey.
Thanks😊
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Because 48 days ago you probably said good bye to one of your best buddies (alcohol). Now that he's been gone for a while, you selectively remember the good times - thus making you feel sad.
That's so true! Thank you for the perspective.😊
Old 07-07-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning and thanks for this topic today.
It’s day 24 for me and have been feeling this odd sadness since yesterday afternoon.
No precipitating event, actually having a pretty good weekend.
Last night I noted that these feelings would have sent me to drink a few weeks ago and that I would have felt worse after.
Not a big leap but important for me.
Coming up on a birthday later this month so really looking at my life and the last six years after a 20 year relationship ended.
Keeping SR close this week as I am attending a work event on a Thursday where there will be alcohol.
Not tempted but I know I will need to manage my anxiety.
Sending light and gratitude to you all.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by melski View Post
Good morning and thanks for this topic today.
It’s day 24 for me and have been feeling this odd sadness since yesterday afternoon.
No precipitating event, actually having a pretty good weekend.
Last night I noted that these feelings would have sent me to drink a few weeks ago and that I would have felt worse after.
Not a big leap but important for me.
Coming up on a birthday later this month so really looking at my life and the last six years after a 20 year relationship ended.
Keeping SR close this week as I am attending a work event on a Thursday where there will be alcohol.
Not tempted but I know I will need to manage my anxiety.
Sending light and gratitude to you all.
Hi Melski! Thanks for posting on this thread! Congratulations on day 24!! I also have a bday later this month. Fellow Leo?🦁
Good luck with the work event! I felt the same way at my first alcohol-event. Wasn’t feeling tempted, but worried about my anxiety bc I always used alcohol as a social crutch at parties...you’ll do great! Just have seltzer or something else non-alcoholic in your gas at all times...it helps! I’m on day 57 and I have an event to attend tonight. 🤞🏻
Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, an early Leo!
Glad to hear things get better.
Happy Sunday!