Notices

anyone been homeless?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone been homeless?

My landlord is kicking everyone out. Someone said I could join a 24 hour fitness and people sleep there temporarily until I get my **** together. My drinking cost my job and multiple other things. Todays day 6. Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been homeless magnum but I'd bet there's a lot of options for emergency accommodation in a city like San Francisco?

https://www.sftu.org/counseling-2/
D
Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have not, but I'm in AA. So many of the friends I know have been homeless .... consequences of this disease.
I'm down in Pasadena, CA. I know that I've heard in shares of folks a gym to take showers, brush their teeth etc. But sleeping? Haven't heard of that ... yet.

The Salvation Army has been a huge help to so many guys , lots in my Sober circle. When I was in my women's only Rehab, a fair share of the ladies living there had Uncle Sam foot the bill. We had Insurance, any insurance available to help you? Pasadena is a great city for getting sober, lots of options!

I imagine San Francisco is also blessed with many resources too. If you head to a meeting, reach out for help. No shame or guilt involved, I promise!

Being of service to a fellow alcoholic/addict is what's it all about.

Let us know your progress,
Bobbi
Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would look up agencies in your area for help in your situation. Surely there must be places you can sleep. I don't know if the gym would let members sleep there. Sounds dodgy to me.

I hope you stay sober. If you stay sober, you can work on getting back what you've lost.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have, but briefly. I wasn’t drinking alcoholically at that point. Actually, not really at all.

I know there’s a full on massive homeless crisis in SF right now. Honestly IMO get out of there. The City isn’t what it used to be; you don’t need me to tell you how difficult it is there to get on your feet. Can’t get a dirty falling down studio apartment in that city for under three grand a month. Or a closet to sleep in for under a grand. My family lives in east bay. Call for help and get on your feet in a place that isn’t economically setting you up to fail. I hate going there now, knowing the people serving food or working in the gas station don’t have a home with walls to go to after work because the housing costs are so high. Stay sober.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been homeless, and I was able to temporarily do stays at the Salvation Army and at another shelter while I was figuring out what to do. If you have a medical condition, sometimes you can stay longer or if you are a veteran, but demand for services is usually high. I cannot imagine what it would be like in SFO to find a bed, but you need to make calls to find out. Availability often varies day to day. If you can get referred by an agency that provides emergency services as their charter, that might be helpful. Consider what, if any, options you have with family to get re-started to house yourself and find work.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't really advise from over here in the UK, but have known people to put out a 'Crowdfunder' on Twitter, to help with a deposit on a new place.
Like others have said though, make some phonecalls.
Good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i hopefully wont have to be homeless... early sobriety i feel like I like at worst possible situations. I just have very limited money for a deposit and rent at a new place. guess I could just find some crappy place for a month or two. Hopefully.

thanks for your replies and support
Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You might also check out Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Ours here helps people out with food and sometimes utility bills. The type of assistance varies from place to place.

This was what my google search turned up for your area: https://www.google.com/search?q=soci...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you have a lease for the apartment? Tenants have rights as well. Your landlord should at least let you find somewhere else to live before kicking you out.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you have some options magnum,

I was nearly homeless a few years back - it was pretty scary, but it all worked out

D
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

According to the news California cities have thousands of homeless camping out in the streets. Disease is rife including typhus due to the unsanitary conditions. They say about 10% have addiction problems. The cities have insufficient resources.

I was homeless for a bit, slept in derelict office buildings and in train carriages in sidings - they were cold, wrapped myself in newspaper. My family cane to my rescue in the end. If you cant get a job, maybe move to another state. I hear there are many jobs in Oregon or Pennsylvania, or Ohio, somewhere like that.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was very close back in 1997 but a miracle saved me. All I can say is it scared the heck out of me.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find somewhere to live, at least, temporarily.

Have faith that you can rebuild your life in your recovery.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
According to the news California cities have thousands of homeless camping out in the streets. Disease is rife including typhus due to the unsanitary conditions. They say about 10% have addiction problems. The cities have insufficient resources.

I was homeless for a bit, slept in derelict office buildings and in train carriages in sidings - they were cold, wrapped myself in newspaper. My family cane to my rescue in the end. If you cant get a job, maybe move to another state. I hear there are many jobs in Oregon or Pennsylvania, or Ohio, somewhere like that.
wow im actually going to a social worker place right now to discuss shelter options... i'm really to blame what happened was i went to work kinda drunk, a co-worker I dont like annoyed me and I just walked out....totally stupid and not something I would have ever done sober. You dont just walk out on your only job without having another job ready to go. Thanks for sharing your story, why didnt you stay in a shelter that sounds horrible.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a job ready to go, but orientation isn't until July 8th... wish it started right now.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would estimate about 90% of America is one bad event away from homelessness. Alcoholism doesn't help, but it's not really your fault.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was

Salvo's helped- recovery, accommodation and looking for long term housing

I am in Australia- but the Salvo's do good stuff where you are too.

Do not let short term suffering influence you to drink, I did and it made everything worse