SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Two months sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/439732-two-months-sober.html)

Tetrax 06-25-2019 02:38 AM

Two months sober

Thanks SR! Just a quick update, things are going fine. As well as here and AA meetings (plus a CA one), I have additional support at a treatment centre, where I have a two-week outpatient rehab in a couple of weeks - including welfare support (so I can gratefully continue to just focus on this for now) - it should provide me with yet more tools. SMART is okay but I think I'll get more from reading their book, seeing as the group in my city doesn't seem to take it very seriously. At least in AA I feel we're all in it together... I don't have a sponsor and have previously said I am ambivalent about the steps, but I basically shared this very thing last night and I think people could appreciate where I was coming from: basically a place of reading around, and listening to, anything and everything in recovery.

August252015 06-25-2019 03:02 AM

good job on 2 mo! Keep going and being willing to consider options and committing to a program that will work for you.

BrianK 06-25-2019 03:17 AM

Congratulations! And as far as the specifics of your program? Hey, you're being honest with yourself and others...that doesn't come easy to folks like us :)

Resurgence 06-25-2019 03:50 AM

Hey Tetrax,

Amazing achievement - How are you feeling in yourself?

I admire you for compiling so many useful sober tools - I'm noticing that this is the difference for me this time around.

Regarding the 12 steps; I'm currently listening to Russell Brand's Recovery audiobook, in which he applies the program to several aspects of his life. It's worked for him and he's been addicted to everything going. It's funny, too; not to mention poetic and insightful.

Another book I recommend is, The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray.

Both works are free of preachiness and illuminate the sober life in a way I never thought possible.

Congrats again on 2 months - it's an inspiration to the rest of us :)

MarkstheSpot 06-25-2019 05:54 AM

I'd echo Resurgence above re: Catherine Gray's book.

And well done, Tetrax!

dpac414 06-25-2019 06:13 AM

Hey congrats! That's a great accomplishment.

I'm similar to you re the steps and stuff. I think I might need to do them eventually, but I feel like I'm really working hard with my therapist right now and that's enough, paired with meetings and sharing and talking with other sober folks. So I get it, is the point I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the update. It's really good to see that you're doing well.

August252015 06-25-2019 06:15 AM

I've never been big on Russell Brand but his book is irreverently perfect! Applicable to us all, whatever "issues" we have. ;)

Fearlessat50 06-25-2019 06:45 AM

Congrats, T! I was just going to post exactly the same thing August posted. Russell Brands book, Recovery, Freedom from our addictions, is really great. It relies on Twelve Steps for everyone whether you are an alcoholic or not, because we all have issues. It will also make you laugh

least 06-25-2019 06:47 AM

Congrats on two months sober! :hug:

Atlast9999 06-25-2019 07:05 AM

Congrats on 2 months, Tetrax!!

Hawkeye13 06-25-2019 08:27 AM

Well done on your two months Tetrax :flow:

fini 06-25-2019 08:48 AM

way to go, Tetrax!

MantaLady 06-25-2019 10:43 AM

Great news Tetrax! x

Pinky1 06-25-2019 01:58 PM

Congratulations thats great 🙂

Dee74 06-25-2019 02:42 PM

great going Tetrax - congrats :)

D

ReadyAtLast 06-25-2019 02:48 PM

Many congrats on 2 months :) :You_Rock_

Tetrax 06-26-2019 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Resurgence (Post 7214107)
How are you feeling in yourself?

Good thanks! I guess I'm feeling how I presume normal, healthy people feel like. All of the emotions! Though as a general rule of thumb, shame is being replaced with pride, anxiety with confidence and depression with hope. Funny that.

Also I'm realising how THERE IS SO MUCH TO CATCH UP ON. Today I'm going swimming; I haven't done that in years. In the future who knows? Finally learn to drive? Get my out of date passport renewed? Get a job that pays higher than minimum wage? The possibilities are endless. I feel like a teenager again.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

August252015 06-26-2019 04:59 AM

Ha, there really IS so much to catch up on- so much out there! I had forgotten how much, really, in my heavy drinking years. It is such a gift to not only find things, but want to do them- and do them! Keep it up - we can keep growing in just so many ways.

Zighoul 06-26-2019 05:43 AM

Great to hear Tetrax ~ congrats! 👍

DriGuy 06-26-2019 06:08 AM

I get the impression that the last two months are a new approach to your drinking. Diving in with both feet pays big dividends. Congratulations.