Notices

Health scare has prompted me to stop drinking.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Health scare has prompted me to stop drinking.

Suspected 3aCKD. No doubt more tests to follow. Stopped after dull aching pain on side. Not kidneys however? It’s been 8 days without a drink. Not struggling but not sure. I read somewhere here that a health scare is enough to stop drinking for some?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBlueMask View Post
Suspected 3aCKD. No doubt more tests to follow. Stopped after dull aching pain on side. Not kidneys however? It’s been 8 days without a drink. Not struggling but not sure. I read somewhere here that a health scare is enough to stop drinking for some?
I'm sorry, what happened? I don't quite follow. Health scares can get some to stop but for many it is not enough. Nice job on 8 days!! A plan of action is still needed for most. Hang in there!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I think a health scare can definitely make most of us stop...staying stopped tho? I'm not so sure.

I think positive reinforcements works a lot better than negative - i.e I prefer not to drink because a b c.... vs I cannot drink became my liver may be shot.

D
Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Heavy drinking for years is probably what happened! Sort of waiting for reason to quit, now I’ve got it.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBlueMask View Post
Heavy drinking for years is probably what happened! Sort of waiting for reason to quit, now I’ve got it.
Good--
What's the plan?
Scares wear off and cravings come back.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Consequences won’t keep an alcoholic sober in my experience. A program of recovery is definitely recommended.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think consequences can kick-start the process and give you the motivation you need to get started. But, you need to develop some sort of program/plan to carry you through the early weeks and beyond into recovery.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Health scares will often cause people to stop, but that will eventually wear off for many people. I remember being in University in 2006 and crying to my boyfriend (now husband) about my terrible smoking and drinking habits. Every now and then whenever I was hungover and depressed I'd cry about my habits as I coughed my lungs up and felt pain in my organs from drinking. I didn't actually fully quit both until July last year. The fear always wore off and care free party mode always kicked in on a Friday.

Last year I finally decided I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit recently due to a health scare but i have been wanting to quit forever now. Just tired of feeling that way. Only 13 days in but I don't ever want to drink again. Like Nerf said i've reached a point where i want to be sober more than I want to drink. Great job on the eight days!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had achy pain in my liver right before I was diagnosed with liver failure. Not to freak you out, but it's the truth. Hope everything works out for you...all you can do is stop drinking!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, TheBlueMask and congratulations on 8 days.

As others have said, a scare is enough to get people to stop, but it takes a plan and action to stay sober. Best of luck developing a plan and sticking to it.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I had a cancer scare in my early 20s that jump started recovery for me. No cancer but it was a wake up call to what I was doing to my body if I kept living that way
Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sure but some people on liver transplant lists can’t stay sober for the required 6 months to get a new liver. I myself watched as more and more things were going wrong with my body and health and each time decided it wasn’t bad enough to quit. Or I convinced myself it’d just go away. Injured myself a few times and scared myself to quit. Lasted max 2 weeks. I had to take action. Like others said I hope you come up with a plan. 8 days is great keep it up!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Last year my husband went into the ER for sepsis and a UTI due to drinking. That was supposed to be the end of his drinking, but as he got better, he went back to it.
He hasn't been feeling well for a few months now. His doctor suspected cirrhosis of the liver. Since then, AH has not had anything to drink (12 days today, I think). Today the definitive word came in - it is cirrhosis. Now we have to find out what stage.
Sometimes it takes something as bad as a health scare to quit. Congratulations on your 8 days! Keep it up - - you can do it!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Blue Mask - couple days since your OP - how are you? Have you quit?

For me, too many health scares and injuries and hospital visits to count didn't "do it." It wasn't til the life or death assessment from the liver dr I was sent to actually clicked and I was DONE.

I quit, and I had to do my part to stay sober, and get in real recovery and live. Yes, I know that I would die in pretty short order if I ever drink again and that day/conversation/etc is seared in my brain - BUT it is not what keeps me sober now. My AA program, the life I have found, and my acceptance that the only thing in life I don't do is drink. that's it. Everything else is on the table.

Hope you choose to quit and get sober. Everything about your body, mind, spirit, on and on will only get better.