Notices

Day 11 update - I am a pickle

Old 06-22-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 update - I am a pickle

I spent the day at home it was extremely hot. And took the opportunity to drink water, maybe a glass or two every 30 minutes. Which of course led to multiple trips to the bathroom.
What concerns me is I can still smell alcohol every time I go. I suppose I'm not being colloquial when I say pickled. I am genuinely pickled in vodka and it is still leaving my system.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not trying to undermine your concern by any means but are you sure this is not psychological? I have extreme health anxiety and general anxiety, I easily create symptoms that are really not there. My husband has heard me say, at least 200 times when I think something is wrong, "no but THIS time, I know (insert any symptom of a disease) is really happening. THIS time it is real". Then in a few days or so, I am back to normal or dying of something else.
It 100% feels real in the moment though. Especially when coming off alcohol and anxiety is still running so high.
Again, I am not trying to blow off your concerns and it very well could be happening. It's not my body and I am not there. Just giving you my experience.
Regardless, awesome job on 11 days!!!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 days.

I'm not a doctor but sure from reading on here that by 11 days the physical stuff should be out of our systems.

I think you should see your doctor. I know thirst is normal in early sobriety but extreme extreme thirst and using loo a lot plus alcohol/sweet type smell can be a symptom of diabetes.I say this from personal experience, not giving medical advice of course.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Congrats on 11 days.

I'm not a doctor but sure from reading on here that by 11 days the physical stuff should be out of our systems.

I think you should see your doctor. I know thirst is normal in early sobriety but extreme extreme thirst and using loo a lot plus alcohol/sweet type smell can be a symptom of diabetes.I say this from personal experience, not giving medical advice of course.
Can alcohol induce diabetes? It wasn't extreme thirst. I was forcing myself to drink as water as possible because I wasn't going anywhere and so it seemed an easy thing to manage and an opportunity to try and flush myself out properly. If I had to be somewhere I wouldn't have.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It can from what I have read. You can ***** it for more info. You do not have extreme thirst though.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I see, sorry I thought you meant you had extreme thirst. I can only speak from my own experience. Although alcohol is full of sugar and bad diet, high sugar, being overweight are all risk factors for Type 2 in later life. Do see your doctor -even just to get a check up and give you peace of mind

The other thing is I've noticed how much better my sense of smell is in early sobriety.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post

The other thing is I've noticed how much better my sense of smell is in early sobriety.
I am finding this also even though I did not notice anything when I quit smoking 20 years ago. I always heard that increased your sense of smell(quitting smoking). Maybe it was because I was still drinking heavily.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

At 11 days the alcohol will be well out of your system so I would very much doubt it is that. Also drinking too much water can be as bad for you as not drinking enough. Too much and you dilute the electrolytes and natural salts in your body and can make you unwell. Best to drink water when you need to, everything in balance is the way to go xx
Old 06-22-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I am not trying to undermine your concern by any means but are you sure this is not psychological? I have extreme health anxiety and general anxiety, I easily create symptoms that are really not there. My husband has heard me say, at least 200 times when I think something is wrong, "no but THIS time, I know (insert any symptom of a disease) is really happening. THIS time it is real". Then in a few days or so, I am back to normal or dying of something else.
It 100% feels real in the moment though. Especially when coming off alcohol and anxiety is still running so high.
Again, I am not trying to blow off your concerns and it very well could be happening. It's not my body and I am not there. Just giving you my experience.
Regardless, awesome job on 11 days!!!
Thank you. It isn't every time, just several times I noticed it. I wish it was psychosomatic, but it isn't. Anxiety hasn't really been an an issue (yet at least) I feel relief more than anything and despite all the issues I now have to confront, that I pushed aside by starting the day with vodka for breakfast and then drinking all day I feel less anxious about them than when I was drinking. I was drinking at least a full bottle of vodka every day, sometimes two. I was so bad I would go into full-scale withdrawal after not having any in as short a time as three hours. I don't feel breaking up with vodka has left a huge gap in my life, my routine hasn't changed much. It is just I'm not doing things drunk. First five days were the sickest I have ever been in my life.

Last edited by Strugglingto; 06-22-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
At 11 days the alcohol will be well out of your system so I would very much doubt it is that. Also drinking too much water can be as bad for you as not drinking enough. Too much and you dilute the electrolytes and natural salts in your body and can make you unwell. Best to drink water when you need to, everything in balance is the way to go xx
It also struck me that maybe I have things backwards here. At least a bottle of vodka per day for just over five years. Total days without drinking in that time span amount to just over 100.