SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello, I just joined. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/439646-hello-i-just-joined.html)

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 09:18 AM

Hello, I just joined.

Hi there-
i was referred to this website by a friend who used it to help stay sober. I stopped drinking on May 11, 2019. It was a long time coming...I put if off forever. (I’ll just drink on weekends or “I’ll just drink at parties”)...that didn’t work! I found myself drinking vodka or wine every single day and in excess. My teenage children started to notice their mom slurring often, and it was affecting my marriage. I had to do something. I knew I had a genetic disposition to alcoholism. My dad’s parents were alcoholics, so my dad rarely drank and warned me about my “genetics”.
So here I am, age 48 and finally admitting that I’m an alcoholic. I started going to AA meetings, and have found them very helpful. Unfortunately, everyone at the meetings has been sober for a long long time. While I appreciate their words of wisdom, and have learned so much from them already, I still wish I could talk to someone “newly sober” like myself. So that is why I’m here. Nice to meet you all :-)

least 06-22-2019 09:26 AM

Welcome to the family. :hug:

Anna 06-22-2019 09:35 AM

Welcome, you will find lots of support here.

BrianK 06-22-2019 09:41 AM

Welcome! I also find sharing with newly sober people helps me focus on the present part of this journey better, especially in this newcomers forum. There's always a lot of recent comments, if not whole threads, on any topic you can think of. Plus, if we're having an issue at any moment we don't have to wait to go to a meeting or open up and share if we're not yet comfortable doing that.

Plus, this is just about the most enjoyable, positive corner of the internet I've ever seen! We drunks aren't such bad folks once the booze dries out of us :) :grouphug:

Mags1 06-22-2019 10:25 AM

Hi Ismilealot, welcome! So much support here.

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7212275)
Welcome to the family. :hug:

thank you!

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 7212281)
Welcome, you will find lots of support here.

thank you

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BrianK (Post 7212287)
Welcome! I also find sharing with newly sober people helps me focus on the present part of this journey better, especially in this newcomers forum. There's always a lot of recent comments, if not whole threads, on any topic you can think of. Plus, if we're having an issue at any moment we don't have to wait to go to a meeting or open up and share if we're not yet comfortable doing that.

Plus, this is just about the most enjoyable, positive corner of the internet I've ever seen! We drunks aren't such bad folks once the booze dries out of us :) :grouphug:

:tyou

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mags1 (Post 7212306)
Hi Ismilealot, welcome! So much support here.

thank you!

CincyFin 06-22-2019 10:54 AM

I started trying to get sober at age 48 too. I am now 50 and have 6 months sober. You can do this.

ReadyAtLast 06-22-2019 11:02 AM

Hello and welcome to SR. Come and join our June class for newly sober people :)

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast (Post 7212325)
Hello and welcome to SR. Come and join our June class for newly sober people :)

Thank you! How do I join a Class? And should I join May 2019 since I started getting sober on May 11, 2019?

ReadyAtLast 06-22-2019 11:16 AM

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-2-a-5.html

Just post in the class to join :)

It's up to you, post in either or both :)

Personally I'd post in the most recent one as new people joining all the time but it's entirely up to you :)

Hevyn 06-22-2019 12:00 PM

It's so good to have you with us, Ismilealot. It's great that you've made the decision to lead a sober life. I went on far too long trying to control the amounts I drank. It led to chaos. This won't happen to you. :) Welcome!

Gettingcloser 06-22-2019 12:07 PM

Hi Smile
How are things going so far with your sobriety? It is definitely a life changing decision and effects all aspects of your life. I was a year sober in May 2018 and things are going great! I am so lucky to be one of the ones that escaped the horror.
The reason that I ask how you are doing is because I stopped drinking because alcohol was becoming so abusive to me that it was completely over riding any pleasure.
I know people that are around my age (44) that drink an unhealthy amount. They pretty much start as soon the weekend starts and don't quit until late Sunday night. It would be very hard for them to quit because they have become so addicted to escaping into an alcohol induced haze all weekend. They live for this escape.
How did you find quitting? Do you miss what alcohol brought you or do you feel that this is a much needed change in your life that you will be able to stick too?

Abraham 06-22-2019 12:37 PM

Welcome again smile. I am a couple weeks away from 48 years old and have just quit for the first time. 13 days in now. I look forward to your posts.

Ultramarathoner 06-22-2019 12:58 PM

I stopped in my 40s too- take advantage of the generosity of spirit and community on the board.

And congratulations on your powerful decision to live your best life!

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 7212352)
It's so good to have you with us, Ismilealot. It's great that you've made the decision to lead a sober life. I went on far too long trying to control the amounts I drank. It led to chaos. This won't happen to you. :) Welcome!

Thank you, Hevyn. I like your username. :-)

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Abraham (Post 7212365)
Welcome again smile. I am a couple weeks away from 48 years old and have just quit for the first time. 13 days in now. I look forward to your posts.

Hi Abraham!
We are the same age and on the same journey towards a sober life! Best of luck to you! 13 days is great!

Ismilealot 06-22-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser (Post 7212355)
Hi Smile
How are things going so far with your sobriety? It is definitely a life changing decision and effects all aspects of your life. I was a year sober in May 2018 and things are going great! I am so lucky to be one of the ones that escaped the horror.
The reason that I ask how you are doing is because I stopped drinking because alcohol was becoming so abusive to me that it was completely over riding any pleasure.
I know people that are around my age (44) that drink an unhealthy amount. They pretty much start as soon the weekend starts and don't quit until late Sunday night. It would be very hard for them to quit because they have become so addicted to escaping into an alcohol induced haze all weekend. They live for this escape.
How did you find quitting? Do you miss what alcohol brought you or do you feel that this is a much needed change in your life that you will be able to stick too?

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome. So far, at 42 days I’m feeling strong. My only REALLY tough time was when I hosted a huge graduation party for my daughter. We had alcohol available and I had a hard time for sure, but didn’t drink!!