Notices

Routine

Old 06-20-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Routine

I find routine immensely helpful in recovery. I suppose it is so because as a drunk my life hovered on the chaotic for so long.

When I put down that last drink almost four months ago I knew that I would now have many hours to fill. Ridiculous how time consuming drinking is.

I stick to a fairly strict exercise routine before and after work. I also have a late night routine which alternates between reading and writing. The weekends are also very much set on a fixed routine.

It seems to be working so far. Doing the same things at the same time somehow contributes to an overall feeling of calmness I have not experienced in a very long time. I would not call this happiness or even being content. But it is not bad. In fact it is quite ok.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm coming to the end of day 10 and find I'm building a routine. Was always a night owl when drinking but the past 10 days I've discovered how I can get up at 6 am and get loads done. I'm finding that I'm that busy, I really cant stay up anywhere near as late as I did which I think is a good thing.

Personally I'm finding the new routine really positive. Pretty sure my dog loves the multiple, longer walks and I'm feeling better for it too. I don't know what it is about the morning walk but everyday, it just makes me so grateful to get out in the open and relax knowing I'm getting better a day at a time.
Being busy is key for me as well as keeping a diary along with the routine I'm beginning to develop.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I would not call this happiness or even being content. But it is not bad. In fact it is quite ok.
This was helpful to me. I'm still putting together a routine and trying to take long-term view of it and be open to change so that if something's not appealing now it doesn't mean I'm either stuck doing it or I'm doomed to drink.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

100 % with you on routine. It defo works for me , get up same time , meals are same time , I know on most days hour by hour what I'm doing or where I should be at , and when thoughts of drinking come up , I can push them away cos I'm doing such n such in a half an hour etc etc
Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post. You are right, you have to settle on things feeling "okay". Day nine here and just having my apartment not look like it has been hit by a mortar feels okay.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Routines are important to me too. Reminds me of the old saying about idleness which to me is at the other end of the spectrum.

Be wary of idleness, for the old saying, “Idleness is the Devil’s workshop,” is true. Each time your hands are idle, your mind is an open field in which the Devil can plant all kinds of temptations.

For most of us the temptation comes in the form of a bottle.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Callas! Yes!

My life was a disaster, to say the least, and not just because I was deathly ill.

My early to do lists (I've always been a list maker but boy had that disappeared) were things like 1 make the bed 2 shower 3 eat twice. Seriously. They expanded and my day planner is a wild dream compared to that these days

Also, program routine was critical to me. Doing the same things each morning- I've since added a couple- before I do anything else, and no matter how early before somewhere I had to be or such, and out of town and....that consistency and habit became reflexive.

It took me awhile to exercise, but then I began scheduling that too. A 5K each month. Yoga planned certain days of the wk.

Brian- you are so right that getting to feel "ok" and not doomed if you don't do xyz but instead accepting and often/regularly enjoying the habits of a pretty organized life (sidenote: there are always curveballs ) is one of the promises of sobriety I have found.

Great topic!!