Notices

New to this

Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gutcheck View Post
Hi,

I am very active, exercise daily, yet am overweight and would like to attempt to stop this for a month and see what happens. The thought of permanence scares me and is too big.
This is where the day at a time thinking comes in real handy during early sobriety. Just think about how you’re not going to drink today. You can worry about tomorrow when that comes. That being said, I recommend quitting for at least two months to anyone because that’s how long it took for me to start seeing the real improvements. Also, it was much easier for me to lose weight after quitting drinking. It’s not the same for everyone though and not something I’d really focus on in the beginning. Tough enough not drinking.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So I just had an hour long talk with my wife about this, and she is going to try to do this too. I had two glasses of wine as did she and am going to bed. I will see what happens tomorrow but I feel ok no physical symptoms except my blood pressure is 140/75, which is high for me....

I’m sorry to be asking for help here. I appreciate all that’s been said. I’ll stay here until I can be the one helping others.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never be sorry to be asking for help GC

D
Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Slept terrible and am sick with a massive head cold. No other signs of withdrawal.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's good.

Sleep will be better in time. I didn't sleep well for a couple weeks and then...ahhhhh.

Do you have a nasal rinse bottle? Miracle for colds, drug free.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How are you fairing GC? Hope you are doing well.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Looked in to see if you are still with us, Gutcheck - 6 days now from your OP. Hope you have taken action steps and are not drinking but whatever you are doing or wherever you are, let us know.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

i see the dr tomorrow but have reduced to the point where I’m almost positive I can just stop safely. I’ve been sick with has helped actually. Sleep has been hard, but I got a new bed and that seems to help a bit.

last night I slept really well, 9 hours so I feel great today.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for tomorrow

D
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope it went well, Gutcheck.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It did but I really didn’t like his “advice”. He says he usually tells people to abstain two nights a week then three then four and so on. Seems kind of stupid. I’m only drinking three drinks a night now for a week.....
Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The Dr.'s tapering plan sounds like torture. It's kind of like when I quit smoking I was using the nicotine lozenges. I read the plan and it said to use them over a 12 week period progressively getting less. I just stopped using them after 4 days and got it over with. Alcohol is a obviously a much different beast and with withdrawals that can cause death... I thought they prescribed meds for people who wanted to detox?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
The Dr.'s tapering plan sounds like torture. It's kind of like when I quit smoking I was using the nicotine lozenges. I read the plan and it said to use them over a 12 week period progressively getting less. I just stopped using them after 4 days and got it over with. Alcohol is a obviously a much different beast and with withdrawals that can cause death... I thought they prescribed meds for people who wanted to detox?
he said I probably don’t need valum or Xanax. I don’t want them. I defeated that deacon years ago.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gutcheck View Post
It did but I really didn’t like his “advice”. He says he usually tells people to abstain two nights a week then three then four and so on. Seems kind of stupid. I’m only drinking three drinks a night now for a week.....
That doesn't sound like any tapering I've ever heard of

It does remind me tho of me trying to keep my drinking to weekends and drinking as much as I could in that Friday afternoon- Sunday night window.

D