Notices

Humbly asking for help

Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
Also a writer (journalist) in former communist country, also without work, your story mirrors mine
Hi Strugglingto:

Well, what can I say? I can relate. We are teflon. (You're probably a damned good writer).
Cassie
Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the june thread is on part 2 now. they start a new thread when the post count gets to around 500. It is on part two now. You can find it here or there is a link to part 2 at the end of part 1. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html Good luck to ya.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hang in there and dont try to solve all the problems in your first week of sobriety.

I would say try to simplify your week as much as you can and see what you can do to lower your stress level so that you can focus all your attention on just staying clean for this first week.

I will keep you in my prayers, it sounds like you are in a rough patch of life.

I know it is hard to be small in stature like you said (I am also alot smaller than the average person) and have also been pushed around often in life. The alcohol chops us down at the knees as far as our self confidence and ability to stand up for ourself.

You will see with continued abstinence that your fear will reduce and that you will find a much greater capacity for dealing with bullies and gossips and other manipulators.

I know you are going thru alot of negativity but take things in sequence: Make a plan to stop drinking, get some stop drinking books that contain a proven method and plan to follow. And focus all your energy just on earning 1 week of clean time.

Post everyday on the June class thread. Big hugs! Your past is never going to get any better but you still have an opportunity to enjoy a bright future and find true love, success, fame as a writer and everything else.......

But start at step 1: Quit drinking
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CassandraXXX View Post
Thanks, Hodd. No, it's not worth it. I mean, I am dying inside, emotionally. I feel like I am rotting away

I did not drink today, so this is Day #1. Thanks for listening.
Cassie
Hi Cassie

First off, good effort on day 1.

People such as you are very brave to go and live abroad. I’ve been there and done it (with mixed results). You’re a better person as a result.

I was an English teacher amongst other things, and there was a network of teachers and other English-speaking expats. Is this the case where you are? You might as well make a go of it there. If you still don’t like it, you can say you’ve tried your best and move on.

I’m the worst person to advise on stopping drinking as an expat 😕 but maybe if you were happier there, there’d be no need to drink?

Good luck for day 2 and beyond. I sympathise with the drinking and the expat part.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
Yes, I think if you live in a country that doesn't click for you then it's even harder to reach out and get help. Language problems and cultural differences can provide a barrier before you even add to the mix the problems we all face when trying to have the courage to get help.

How are you doing today, Cassandra?
Hey Santi. Doing okay, so far. Just have a headache. Thank you for asking! I hope you're having a good day.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Santi. Doing okay, so far. Just have a headache. Thank you for asking! I hope you're having a good day.
My day's not been a bad one, thanks. I've almost finished work and a bit later am meeting a friend and we're off to a concert. I booked the tickets without knowing anything about the band but I've just Googled them and seen a video on YouTube and I think I'll enjoy it.

You're in a difficult situation in terms of the place you live, your work and the people who are around you. But, despite all of that, yesterday you didn't drink and today you are going to end another day alcohol free. That's pretty amazing considering all the things you are having to deal with.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My day's not been a bad one, thanks. I've almost finished work and a bit later am meeting a friend and we're off to a concert. I booked the tickets without knowing anything about the band but I've just Googled them and seen a video on YouTube and I think I'll enjoy it.

You're in a difficult situation in terms of the place you live, your work and the people who are around you. But, despite all of that, yesterday you didn't drink and today you are going to end another day alcohol free. That's pretty amazing considering all the things you are having to deal with.

Santi: Well, no, I DID drink last night, but not today. It is evening now. So this is Day #1. It will be so nice not to wake up with a headache and that guilty/shameful feeling tomorrow morning.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Santi: Well, no, I DID drink last night, but not today. It is evening now. So this is Day #1. It will be so nice not to wake up with a headache and that guilty/shameful feeling tomorrow morning.
Sorry, I forgot that today you were starting today.

Well, I still think that you've done well and a headache free Friday morning will feel great.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Strugglingto:

Well, what can I say? I can relate. We are teflon. (You're probably a damned good writer).
Cassie
Award winning. I fell a very long way
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cassandra,
Keep fighting. You posting here shows a strong desire to succeed. We are here to help.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Cassandra, I still don't know which country you are in. I am in Ukraine and, trust me I know how EVERYTHING involves alcohol.
You don't buy popcorn and cola at the movies. You buy beer and popcorn. KFC burger combos are sold with beer as the drink if you want it. It is nothing to have beer at breakfast.
I know the struggle. And I know the hardest part is saying "no" because people get offended.
it is custom to keep alcohol at home in case you have guests. Guests ALWAYS bring alcohol because it is considered rude not to. Please feel free to message me privately if you wish.
I just want to know how you are doing and want to help you formulate some sort of plan
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Fun fact for anyone following this thread. When someone buys something even as simple as a new phone it must be celebrated with, of course, alcohol. My second day at work here eight years ago it was a Tuesday. The whole office got obliterated on vodka that evening because one colleague had bought a new car
Old 06-21-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the more sober time we have the more sober people become apparent to us - I say this as an Australian

D
Old 06-21-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the more sober time we have the more sober people become apparent to us - I say this as an Australian

D
I'm an expat Kiwi, so gidday neighbour
Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

g'day!

D
Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Yes, that happens with everything! Years ago I had my arm in a sling and suddenly it felt like Madrid was full of of people with broken arms.

Thanks for the re-welcome!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today, Cassie?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Early Evening of Day #2

How are you feeling today, Cassie?
Hi Everybody. Thanks for asking about me, Santi.

This is Day #2. So far so good. But I have to say, if I didn't have this forum, I might be at the store right now. I don't have any physical symptoms, but I just have this feeling of deprivation. Can you relate?

It's 7 pm now, and I still have not done any meal prep. I intended to chop up a salad, but I feel lazy and unmotivated. I want to eat something naughty (meaning something that someone on a diet would not eat).

Do you have any recommendations for what to eat for the first 7 days??

Hey, Runningaway....Thanks for the PM. Apparently I cannot PM until I have more posts. Do replies count as posts?

Hey, Strugglingto.....I can SO relate! My birthday was this past Monday, and the owner of this sauna I go to had a big bottle of wine and box of Roshen candies (Poroshenko's company) on the table waiting for me. I hugged her and kissed both cheeks (as they do here), but I haven't touched either. I'm going to give them to my Hungarian tutor in August.

Thank you all for being there. Let's all stay strong and positive!
Cassie
Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

This is probably the worst and unhealthiest reply, but here goes 😀

Eat what you like this week within reason. Spoil yourself as you’ll be wanting alcohol so replace it with food instead.

Diet? You’re already saving a load of calories by not drinking. I eat way more now I don’t drink, and I don’t put any weight on at all.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

CassandraXXX, rootin for ya.