Notices

Don’t know or how again

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don’t know or how again

I’m an alcoholic...I’ve said this to this forum in two of my attempts this year. We’re now mid June. Yes, I fell into the I can do things moderately. I have done it moderately, but I’m so isolated. I cry all the time and I know it’s because I’m SUPER stressed, but I haven’t allowed myself to heal cold turkey. I’m a little lost, and I know my emotions are so out of whack from drinking. I’ve limited myself to four miniatures of Tito’s vodka a night. I can’t give it up. I know my red eyes are a combination of things...but really we all know the underlying cause. Hmmmmpppfff. I just want to be a sober healthy person.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You absolutely can give up Takeaction. The clues right there in your user name and in what you said in your last thread:

Alcohol proved it’s the devil again...it doesn’t belong in my life.
you know it, you believe it - now you have to act like it

You can do this. Find the right support, make the changes you need to make, and go for it

D
Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You want to be a sober healthy person? Take sober healthy actions. Stop drinking, first of all. You can stop, you just haven't yet.

Get thru the awful first few days of detox, and remind yourself, if you never drink again, you'll never have to feel that badly again.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Someone pointed out to me that the desire to be sober and healthy is a good thing in itself. There's millions of people out there who don't care one way or the other. Drinking and the chaos that comes with it is all they know. You at least want a better life, and recognize where a lot of the problems are coming from.

I hope you'll stick around and keep posting on these threads! It sounds like you've only identified as an alcoholic for a couple months. I've known for 20 years that alcohol was a problem in my life and am still only 16 days sober this time. So you're not exactly "behind schedule" because you're struggling to stay sober after a couple months. (I'm not suggesting you mess around with it for another 20 years, btw )

For me using SR daily has helped me to have a different "type" of sobriety. There's a progressive sense each day that things are going to keep getting better, versus past attempts to simply "not drink".
Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I really think Brians post was right on. You can do this, it takes what it takes. Like Dee said find the support needed and take action. We’re all here for you!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It’s perfectly possible to quit alcohol and live a wonderful enriched life. There is a solution if you’re honest, open-minded and willing.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I finally stopped drinking all together, I was not drinking that much, but I found it so unsatisfying, I was completely disillusioned with the booze and tired. You're not that far away from quitting completely, and it sounds like you are going through distress at the idea of even limiting yourself. Why struggle with the notion of controlling your drink, when it really still has you in its grip? It's not worth the feelings you're having, and you can take the next step by eliminating it from your life.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Commit yourself to today. Just today. No yesterday, no tomorrow. No next week, no last month. Today, don’t drink. Use the resources here to put together a plan. Many of us did it and you definitely can, too.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Four Tito's miniatures is eight units of alcohol every night. That's not moderate.

I just want to be a sober healthy person.
Then be that person!

Takeaction, I think you know what you need to do: take action. Give it up for good. What do you get out of drinking? What do you lose? What do you gain by not drinking? What do you lose by not drinking?