Notices

Day 4 begins, work/stress challenges

Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 begins, work/stress challenges

Hi everyone and happy Monday.
Today is the beginning of day four for me.
My withdrawal symptoms are so far keeping to a minimum and I slept pretty well last night.
How are you all coping with work stress?
I know the farther along I get into the work week the more triggers to drink there will be.
I am exercising, meditating and learning a new technique called NLP.
Also helping friends with their horses which is a very good focus/distraction but still even that can trigger a craving.
Also have some new books from the library (yes I know very old school but it's free .
My days start early...
Have a great Monday everyone.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 4. That's a really big deal.

I love the library! Sometimes old school is where it's at. Are you reading any recovery books? They helped me a lot in the beginning. Still do - honestly.

Have a great Monday yourself.

P.S.
Work is not worth taking the stress home. Easy to say, not as easy to do. Keep it in its place - which is not in your head. It is definitely not worth your sobriety.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4 - that's awesome. When I was in very early recovery, four things really helped me: Sleep (as much as I could get, including naps); food (whatever I wanted - I focused on weight loss later); water (tons), and as you've said, books! I went to NY Times bestseller lists from a few years ago and checked out free ebooks from the library, of course the old-fashioned kind work too! Keep it going. You can do this.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I didn't find SR until I was 80 days clean. I thought I was going insane. That is the brain damage from booze or other mind altering substances.

SR always said first off see a Dr. After that, it was time heals.

Lights were too bright, noises were too loud. Shadows on the highway scared me.

Brain damage. My brain may or may not have totally healed, but I am definitely used to it. I am aware of what I unknowingly did to myself and I am aware there may be underlying issues.

Drinking booze medicated those problems and now I deal with them without booze.

I suffered silently for over 2 years with off and on horrible anxiety. I boaught the audio book "From Panic to Power." It helped.

These days I am very calm on the outside. Inside I am pretty calm but still obsess more than I like, but nothing like before.

I did it med free, never going to the Dr. about my drinking. I hoped I could do it with SR and AA etc.

I have some PTSD, but I am better.

The desire to get better, suffering, and education saved me.

The med free suffering hardened me and strengthened my growth as a very proud, born again non drinker.

Booze is poison. I don't believe the hype.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Congrats on day four. It sounds like you are doing the things I do daily. Exercise, meditation and proper eating go a long way to relieve stress that causes one to want to drink. No matter what you incorporate into your "program", don't forget the simple fact that most anything we tell ourselves about drinking just once or "have to" is a lie. As long as we don't drink, we will not get drunk. You are off to a great start.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it sounds like you have some good things in place to help you through some of the stress. It's great that you planned ahead for some of the obstacles that you will face.
Congrats on day 4!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4. Finally some mental clarity returning. Im on day 2. Rooting for you to continue the success.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm currently not working and this is only my second time quitting. It seems like it was alot easier when I was working. For one, I'm home all day by myself or with my 9 year old actually. When working I had all day to not think about drinking. only like 6 hours at home till I crashed. Now its all day and evening and lots of time to think. Its actually why I was drinking a fifth a day instead of a pint. Work is good.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melski View Post
How are you all coping with work stress?
I know the farther along I get into the work week the more triggers to drink there will be.
Hi melski, I'm with you on that for sure. Mid-week work stress always starts to bog me down too. I can't believe how many times during the day I hear that voice inside. It comes at me in the middle of a meeting or during a phone call or just doing paperwork!

When I chose my name I chose it because little daytrips bring me joy, so whenever I find myself stressing out I take a little 5-minute Google break and search out my next little adventure. Even just a quick search reminds me that I can't do anything if I am drunk or hungover or detoxing. Helps me hold on until my next day off.

Also, I have been going to meetings every night. I'm very new so I am trying to get around to all the different meetings in the City until I find one that seems to be the best fit. It may be just a distraction for now or it may be something I pursue for the long haul - too early to say. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

And keep coming here!!
D.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I so appreciate all the great suggestions and support. It's like a lifeline for sure.
Planning to post at least once a day and stay busy and present.
I guess the bottom line is the decision that I simply don't drink.