Notices

What are cravings, exactly?

Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Remembering the good times is so common in craving that someone came up with the term "chasing the high." To me it describes chasing that thing which after years of drinking becomes but a momentary buzz, if at all. We want how it used to be, but not what it has become.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Remembering the good times is so common in craving that someone came up with the term "chasing the high." To me it describes chasing that thing which after years of drinking becomes but a momentary buzz, if at all. We want how it used to be, but not what it has become.
This just captures it for me! I remember a moment of realization that the best part of a binge was putting all the beers in the fridge and cracking the first one. As soon as I took the first sip, I knew where it was going to lead, and spent the next few hours trying to find anything I could to distract myself from the inevitable, till I passed out
Old 06-15-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

However they are defined they fade with time. I remember being so overwhelmed with the desire to drink when I first quit (and for years before I quit of course).

Then it was the thinking about drinking, even though I wasn't drinking. I remember posting on this forum about the obsessive thoughts that felt like they consumed me. I remember that people here would counsel that it would get better and things will change in time.

And now here I am counselling the same. I barely think about drinking at all anymore. And if I do it's worth absolute clarity and certainty that I don't drink anymore and I will never drink again. The deep physical and psychological cravings and desires I used to have and then that just circular obsessive thoughts that came, both of those are gone. Just totally gone. Time and discipline and some work was all that was required. And now I'm free.