Notices

Emotional Train Wreck

Old 06-14-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional Train Wreck

Im sorry to bother everyone here.

I am sober but having massive panic attacks and crying jags. Up all night.

Scared to NOT drink right now, if that makes sense.

Just desperate to talk to anyone who will listen.

Last edited by Dandelion12; 06-14-2019 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had difficulty in the mornings for quite some time in early sobriety.

It's common for a lot of people, even those who aren't newly sober. "Morning cortisol" is partly to blame, so I would get out of bed and do 50 jumping jacks or squats or take a brisk walk right away. Jump rope, do pushups, whatever physical thing you can do - it helped me reset. Physical activity always helped.

Also, if you are struggling with some of your past, maybe some therapy would help? Why were you up all night?

Alcohol caused it, in my experience. It takes time. You're going to be okay.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its been 2.5 months.

Its 8:00 am here and at 9:00 im goung to call the doctor for some benzos.

Im just out of my mind.

I feel for Sweetichick right now because it seems either a benzo or a drink or go crazy.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aw dandelion. We have all been there. you can get through it and it will pass. I don't have lots of experience to offer you much advice but be nice to yourself and try to keep busy x
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know that benzos are a good plan. Benzos are basically booze in pill form, they hit the same brain receptors.

I was prescribed Xanax for anxiety when I had been sober for many years. I firmly believe they were instrumental in my return to drinking. Yeah, they work, maybe too well. I'll never go back to benzos again. There are other meds. Just make sure your doctor knows about your past alcohol problem. Benzo withdrawal is no joke.

I would use extreme caution against benzos.

Do 50 jumping jacks. I'm serious. Try it.

Also here's the Navy Seal breathing thingy:

https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/
Old 06-14-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for talking to me. Dont know whats going to end up happening.

Just goung to try and breathe.

WTF. Im on anti depressents Take my thyroid medication religously. Dr. Even ran an EKG last time.

Im supposed to be FINE.

I have massive panic attacks. So I drink.

Dont want to. Just want to feel OK.

Ty. Will try to breathe
Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did you do the jumping jacks?

Dancing helps, too. So does calm instrumental classical music.

Anxiety always passes, but action is needed. Stop the brain cycle.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dandy,
Just an observation. It seems you’ve created an equivalency...drink=emotional release. If your experience is like mine and so many others, that release is temporary. That’s what leads so many to drink in larger quantities and more frequently, which then leads to the misery in between those fleeting moments of relief.
It is hard to find other ways to deal with the emotional buildup, but it can be done. I second bimini’s exercise recommendation if it is possible for you. It has helped me immensely.
2.5 month is fantastic. I know it feels like things should be ok by now, but think of all the years of substance abuse you are trying to overcome. It takes time. I hope you can be patient with yourself.
In my experience, the peace that comes with sobriety is worth all of the effort.
Best wishes,
-bora
Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Benzos are fine short-term. I toohave massive panic attacks. Try some deep breathing, that always helps.Or chill out with a favourite program on Netflix, Maybe go for a walk. You have been so supportive to me.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Benzos are fine short-term. I toohave massive panic attacks. Try some deep breathing, that always helps.Or chill out with a favourite program on Netflix, Maybe go for a walk. You have been so supportive to me.
I'm going to argue that "short term" for an alcoholic is still a bad idea once past withdrawals. She's 2.5 months sober, that's past the withdrawal need. Please don't start telling an alcoholic that benzos are fine. So wrong, sweeti. How has that worked for you? Look where it's gotten you. There are other less addictive medications.

I had panic attacks, too.

Guess what? I made it through them without drugs. Why add another problem? That's like throwing gasoline on a fire trying to put it out.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't want to get into another argument about benzos but I was only trying to help Dandelion. There are panic attacks and massive panic attacks. It's between her and her doctor
Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've suffered from panic attacks all my life, so I empathise profoundly Dandelion,

I made the choice not to throw meds at it. These are the kinds of non medication based things that have helped me.

Originally Posted by Healthline.com
Panic attacks are sudden, intense surges of fear, panic, or anxiety. They are overwhelming, and they have physical as well as emotional symptoms.

Many people with panic attacks may have difficulty breathing, sweat profusely, tremble, and feel their hearts pounding.

Some people will also experience chest pain and a feeling of detachment from reality or themselves during a panic attack, so they make think they’re having a heart attack. Others have reported feeling like they are having a stroke.

Panic attacks can be scary and may hit you quickly. Here are 11 strategies you can use to try to stop a panic attack when you’re having one or when you feel one coming on:

1. Use deep breathing
While hyperventilating is a symptom of panic attacks that can increase fear, deep breathing can reduce symptoms of panic during an attack.

If you’re able to control your breathing, you’re less likely to experience the hyperventilating that can make other symptoms — and the panic attack itself — worse.

Focus on taking deep breaths in and out through your mouth, feeling the air slowly fill your chest and belly and then slowly leave them again. Breathe in for a count of four, hold for a second, and then breathe out for a count of four:

2. Recognize that you’re having a panic attack
By recognizing that you’re having a panic attack instead of a heart attack, you can remind yourself that this is temporary, it will pass, and that you’re OK.

Take away the fear that you may be dying or that impending doom is looming, both symptoms of panic attacks. This can allow you to focus on other techniques to reduce your symptoms.

3. Close your eyes
Some panic attacks come from triggers that overwhelm you. If you’re in a fast-paced environment with a lot of stimuli, this can feed your panic attack.

To reduce the stimuli, close your eyes during your panic attack. This can block out any extra stimuli and make it easier to focus on your breathing.

4. Practice mindfulness
Mindfulness can help ground you in the reality of what’s around you. Since panic attacks can cause a feeling of detachment or separation from reality, this can combat your panic attack as it’s approaching or actually happening.

Focus on the physical sensations you are familiar with, like digging your feet into the ground, or feeling the texture of your jeans on your hands. These specific sensations ground you firmly in reality and give you something objective to focus on.

5. Find a focus object
Some people find it helpful to find a single object to focus all of their attention on during a panic attack. Pick one object in clear sight and consciously note everything about it possible.

For example, you may notice how the hand on the clock jerks when it ticks, and that it’s slightly lopsided. Describe the patterns, color, shapes, and size of the object to yourself. Focus all of your energy on this object, and your panic symptoms may subside.

6. Use muscle relaxation techniques
Much like deep breathing, muscle relaxation techniques can help stop your panic attack in its tracks by controlling your body’s response as much as possible.

Consciously relax one muscle at a time, starting with something simple like the fingers in your hand, and move your way up through your body.

Muscle relaxation techniques will be most effective when you’ve practiced them beforehand.

7. Picture your happy place
What’s the most relaxing place in the world that you can think of? A sunny beach with gently rolling waves? A cabin in the mountains?

Picture yourself there, and try to focus on the details as much as possible. Imagine digging your toes into the warm sand, or smelling the sharp scent of pine trees.

This place should be quiet, calm, and relaxing — no streets of New York or Hong Kong, no matter how much you love the cities in real life.

8. Engage in light exercise
Endorphins keep the blood pumping in exactly the right away. It can help flood our body with endorphins, which can improve our mood. Because you’re stressed, choose light exercise that’s gentle on the body, like walking or swimming.

The exception to this is if you’re hyperventilating or struggling to breathe. Do what you can to catch your breath first.

9. Keep lavender on hand
Lavender is known for being soothing and stress-relieving. It can help your body relax. If you know you’re prone to panic attacks, keep some lavender essential oil on hand and put some on your forearms when you experience a panic attack. Breathe in the scent.

You can also try drinking lavender or chamomile tea. Both are relaxing and soothing.

10. Repeat a mantra internally
Repeating a mantra internally can be relaxing and reassuring, and it can give you something to grasp onto during a panic attack.

Whether it’s simply “This too shall pass,” or a mantra that speaks to you personally, repeat it on loop in your head until you feel the panic attack start to subside.
I hope the rest of your day is better Dandelion

D
Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. So many good ideas in that post.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I couldnt take anymore pain and emotional distress.

Hopefully it will just be the one six pack of bud light with lime.

Im a human being and I ust cant take anymore suffering.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Boreas I think you are 1000% right

Emotional release.

I dont want to be strong anymore.

I just dont know what else to do about it. Rehab, therapy, been there.

Only thing that helps is a drink or a pill

Im tired of fighting this thing
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dandelion,

I’m sorry you’re having a tough time but I don’t think that 6 pack is going to make anything better. IME, it just magnifies everything and makes it worse. Anyway you can dump it out and try one of those 11 techniques Dee shared?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A six-pack will just cause you to have to go through this all again. Booze is never the answer. Dump it and use one or more of Dee's suggestions.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been sober 3 years and my emotions bubble up now more than ever. I think its because I actually have feelings. Could be my age as well. Hang in there and support to you?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Emotional release.

I dont want to be strong anymore.

I just dont know what else to do about it. Rehab, therapy, been there.

Only thing that helps is a drink or a pill
Dandy,

I’m sorry you are suffering. The problem with relying on alcohol for that release, in my experience, is that the price you pay is terribly high. The suffering that came with drinking was as bad or worse than the emotions I was running from. You may find the same.

There are other ways. I didn’t expect it when I got sober, but those strategies have become a defining part of my life and have brought me lots of peace.

Best wishes,
-bora
Old 06-14-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I called a aquaintance of mine who I know is in AA and asked for help and advice.

He was advised I have social anxiety and agoraphorabia.

He accused me of having "sloth", per the bible, so I guess Im just lazy