Notices

back to rehab

Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

May I ask why are you so isolated? You don't have to be that way unless you want that right? You seem like you want to be connected with others. What about AA is that not for you? To me that would be the perfect support system for you. What about a senior community. We have senior centers here that offer classes and community, There are a lot of Meet Up groups available. What about volunteer work? Not sure where you live but there are opportunities every where to connect. You have to go out and find it them it won't come to you. It may be difficult at first but there a lot of people out there that want to connect. You just have to find them. Wishing you the best.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

My sister lives far away but her phone calls during all this have been so valuable. My husband is an enabler, he drinks and if I said let’s drink he’d not stop me. Other than my sister most of my family is “why can’t you just have 1 or 2?”.

I’ve lived far from family alone. In that time reading books about sobriety, SR, and definitely the YMCA gym has kept me sober. A 10 am Saturday morning yoga class kept me from giving into cravings on Friday nights. I’m now getting counseling. Reach out definitely, free coffee at the ymca and newspapers to read helps a lot.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

From my own experiences and having talked to various friends and people I met in AA... EVERYONE feels they are alone while in active addiction. For me and the recovered friends I've discussed this feeling with, the consensus is that: we did have others reaching out to check on/offer us help,but we pushed them away. We 'knew' what was/is best for us,so they just left us to it. This thread shows that.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
It would be helpful to hear from people that have been able to get sober with absolutely no support from anybody.
John,
I work from home, so have contact with the outside world that way, and a couple of close friends. None of these contacts involve discussions or knowledge of my efforts to remain sober.

Much like your vacation analogy, I view sobriety as a part of my greater effort towards self-improvement. Some aspects of my personality that I did not like were magnified by drinking, so I set out to work to fix the inside and the outside.

Fitness is big for me, both to help my self-esteem and to manage anxiety and other negative feelings and experiences. I do yoga from you tube classes daily, started HIIT running over a year ago, and am currently doing the C25K training. All solo. I read here daily, try to structure my life, and aim to be tired at the end of the day. I sprinkle in you tube docs and online reading on a variety of subjects to keep up with what goes on in the world. It helps my perspective even though my daily world remains small.

For me the key was developing some activities I’m dedicated to, and just due to my nature they are solo. I’m quite the introvert so the gift I give myself is appreciating that trying to “put myself out there” causes its own stress so I must do it in small doses.
-bora
Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Maybe look at it this way. Imagine being stranded on an island by yourself. You have everything you need, food, water, etc, But you also have an endless supply of booze. What would you do? John
SR IS CONNECTION.

Dee has also shared that it is what he created a sober and life in recovery plan around.

It feels to me like you are here but insisting on saying you are alone. So, create a life on here. A consistent plan of checking in at three set times a day- like I did with meetings or another person. Make friends here. Get into the Class of June or July.

Maybe I'm missing something but even when people say they are doing it alone, I feel that if they are here with us, and getting to know and be known by our community, that's not alone.

Up to you. Each of us gets to create our own sober life- or not. So, to one other thing you say, relying on others is different than seeking support. I can rely on folks here to have great things to say and I can learn from- not to keep me sober. That's the support. I still choose not to drink, every time.

And to your specific question and made up scenario here? Note the word made up first of all. I wouldn't torture myself with that in the first place! It isn't real. Playing along tho, I'm an alcoholic so I'd keep dumping the booze as it kept endlessly flowing in. And hope I had sunscreen to enjoy the food and other good stuff.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

How are you doing? I hope all is well.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
How are you doing? I hope all is well.
I'm doing fine. The shaking is real bad, but I'm getting through it. I have checked senior communities. I was surprised to find out there is only one, considering the fact that a lot of retired people here. John

Not working during the summer makes this much more difficult.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I know I've got to do something, or it's gonna be a to s very tough summear. John
Old 07-11-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back John.

D
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you back, John.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
SR IS CONNECTION.
Yes and no. It's an excellent support group, no doubt. And sure, you can chat with people and hopefully alleviate the burden. But do not mistake it for face to face human interaction. Humans are not meant to be solitary creatures, nor limit ourselves to virtual communication. Every single relapse I've had wasn't due to a craving for alcohol, a stressful day at work, or a painful injury. Each one was because I was lonely and I ended up at a bar for that face to face contact that I couldn't get when I needed it.

Though I don't find the 12 steps themselves useful for me, AA itself can be invaluable to those who need some form of contact when they need it.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its different for everyone abgator. For me I was housebound when I found SR due to a disability - it kept me sane and sober - and some of the friendshios I made in those first years still endure and are as real and norishing as m,y real life friendships.

This sounds a little Stepford Wives lol - but you may feel differently after a decade here too

D
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Its different for everyone abgator. For me I was housebound when I found SR due to a disability - it kept me sane and sober - and some of the friendshios I made in those first years still endure and are as real and norishing as m,y real life friendships.

This sounds a little Stepford Wives lol - but you may feel differently after a decade here too

D
I get your point and I didn't disagree with anything you said. Only that human interaction is still very important to most of our needs.

And I get it 100%. I have a message board I've been posting on since 2001 with almost entirely the same people. I've met and tailgated with them in the past and I talk to them on the board every work day. And I occasionally speak of my recovery on there as we all pretty much know the details of each others lives after all these years. And it's still not the same as having a face to face conversation lol...Not for me anyway.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know I've got to do something, or it's gonna be a to s very tough summear. John
How's it going today John? Any progress on making a plan to get through the summer?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
I get your point and I didn't disagree with anything you said. Only that human interaction is still very important to most of our needs.

And I get it 100%. I have a message board I've been posting on since 2001 with almost entirely the same people. I've met and tailgated with them in the past and I talk to them on the board every work day. And I occasionally speak of my recovery on there as we all pretty much know the details of each others lives after all these years. And it's still not the same as having a face to face conversation lol...Not for me anyway.

I was merely pointing out that when people cite "no connection" they are saying that here in a support group.

I don't use SR alone and while it's a regular community place to engage, it's not at the top of my list for recovery support. It is for some folks.