Notices

New to this I need help

Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this I need help

Idk if this is the right thing to do but for the past 2 years I have struggled with drinking and it is affecting my life in more ways then I can say I drink a half pint every night on my way home and as much as I try I constantly think of it and always find myself at the liquor store I hate myself for it and I really wish I can stop I don’t want to go to aa but I do need help and I am trying but it’s hard to do alone
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Python. If drinking is affecting you in a big way then I definitely think quitting is the right thing to do, glad you've made that decision.

You will find a lot of support here on SR itself and a lot of information on how people have quit - and stayed quit. AA is definitely not the only sobriety method out there, but I wouldn't rule out at least trying it just because you don't want to. You could call your local drug/alcohol resource center ( pretty much every town has one ) and see what other options might be out there for meeting based recovery. You are definitely right as well that it's hard to do alone - that's why you need to seek out support of places like SR and possibly local too.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome, Python.
yes, i too found it hard to do alone. not until i connected with others could i find my way to ongoing sobriety.
AA is not the only path, but my experience was that i definitely had to do some things i didn't want to do.
stick around.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

I am trying but it’s hard to do alone
It was impossible for me to do on my own, but you are not alone if you are here. Instead of stopping at the store, stop at the keyboard and type.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you posted. I agree with the others... having support-- is important. I'm glad you made this decision for yourself. We all have our struggles. I've found this site to be very helpful as I work to stay sober.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Python. You’ll find a lot of support here.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Python. We all know & understand how you're feeling - you'll find encouragement & help here.

I drank 30 yrs. Until I admitted I couldn't control myself - and found SR - I had felt all alone with the struggle. No one among my family or friends had any idea what I was going through. Over the years, I allowed myself to become completely dependent on it - never going a day without it. I missed out on so much by being foggy & numb. This won't happen to you. Congratulations on your decision.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Python! I can only echo what so many other said about AA. But I'd also like to add, because some people are uncomfortable asking a lot of questions face to face at meetings, or some issue may come up they don't know how to address...So many folks on here have experience with AA that you wouldn't really be going to your first meeting alone --- we're all with you in spirit, so to speak.

I bounced a couple questions/issues off folks here and it's helping me with the AA part of my recovery plan, and then the meetings give me the face-to-face sincere interactions that I need in my life (I live alone and word in a spiritually toxic environment). The biggest thing that surprised me about AA and the people in it was it was WAY more laid back than the mental imagery I had conjured up about it. Not preaching it, but wanted you to have some honest, realistic info as well.

Peace and good luck to you!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Welcome python. Sonund like you have realised the hold alcohol has on you. It’s a strong addiction and difficult to put down. Sr has been invaluable to me in my struggle. I also found Aa to be helpful because of the value of face to face meetings with other alcoholics. Make a plan on how you are going to get support to help you get well. Alcoholism is progressive it will get worse if you keep on drinking but it can get better if you quit and find your way into recovery.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Please keep posting with your progress. Everyone here wants to help. Admitedly I am newly sober but I did a long stint a few years back and SR helped me big time
Old 06-12-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not a bad choice to kick that habit now. Like others have said, it will get worse if you keep going. You dont want that.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You reached out...that is always my Step 1.....So...that is a good sign in my opinion.

Sometimes it takes a period of time and some friendly words of support during the difficult times to make us WANT to take the leap into "trying" sobriety.

Just hope you can get to a point where you want to TRY it.

Just tell yourself...you only have to try...if you can't do it...you can drink.

If you can do it...as you can see from reading the boards...many good things and feelings can start to happen for you and to you. Instead of our loathing feelings about ourselves and our habits.

I wish you strength...and everyone here is routing for you.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support yesterday was a better day the. Most because of your kind words and I did grab that half a pint but I had 2 shots and poured the rest out disgusted so idk if that’s a good step but I feel better today then yesterday one day at a time