Notices

Reading listening reading...

Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading listening reading...

Day 2 here. I didn't sleep well last night. Well, that isn't quite true. I slept deeply but I felt like I didn't know what to do with my arms and shoulders, wth? And my legs wouldn't find a good position. I just could not get my body comfortable. Strange.

Anyhow so I recently commented that I am afraid to walk into a meeting. Social anxiety, shame, fear are all factors. And the thing about meetings being in churches - lapsed Catholic guilt is also playing into it. Being new here I hadn't fully explored the boards and strangely enough last night I found a whole bunch of posts about that very topic. Turns out I am not special LOL. It is perfectly normal to feel anxious about walking into a meeting for the first time.

I also just discovered the Sober Cast podcast series and randomly clicked on an old episode - and the speaker talked about that very thing.

Strange how things come together like that. I don't know if I'll be able to do it tonight or tomorrow night or the night after, but I am getting closer to summoning the courage.

I'd love to hear from other newcomers about your first meeting.
Just focusing on the next 24 hours for now.
Hope everyone has a great day.
D.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not a Newcomer but hope it's ok to chime in! Your thread title piqued my interest.

My first mtg? I was sick and I was angry and uncomfortable and...I had to be there. I myself knew that. Actually, this is about my first mtg when I had truly decided to quit. Before that any I had to go to I was just mad to be there.
Sounds like others have really chimed in on that apprehension you describe-
I do love when something or someone hits on just the thing on our minds.

I had to keep going back to meetings. That physical uncomfortable- ness with limbs you mention - I don't think it's weird unless you and I both are! I can totally relate to allll kinds of being uncomfortable with my body at the start.

Glad you are here- and yep, 24 hr or even smaller increments within that...keep going.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whats up daytrippin. Nice to meet you. I'm on my day 2 also. Only the second time I tried to quit. the first one was kind of cuz I had to. This time its cuz I want to. I got kind of slammed on my first post back so I'm not going to create any posts but I do look forward to following this one. Not sure about your name but I am a red hot chili peppers fan and the song daytrippin is a great tune. thanks for reminding me. Cant help much on the aa thing. I had to go for a drunk driving probably 25 years ago. I did not want to be there but it was a court order. I was never a big fan for various reasons but I do see how it can help now that I am more wise. Anyway, good luck to you. We are both on day 2, lets see if you can keep up with me. lol. I'm 47 and have been drinking since 14 and probably daily since 19. Got worse when I switched to rum to "save calories". Then it was a pint of rum after work for 10-15 years and I really felt pretty good. then being in construction, after sever long term layoffs it got worse. ofcourse with all day off home alone its tough. I was up to a fifth a day. Start drinking about 7:30am and drank till I was ready for bed at 6-9pm. Just so you know where I am coming from. Hope to see you around lots. Just dont drink, its way better. You never see anyone on here or anywhere saying I wish I was still drinking.