Notices

Excuses vs Reasons

Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excuses vs Reasons

I’m discovering my reasons for drinking not excuses but circumstances in my life I allowed that then make me want to drink. My responsibility to fix
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey..one of my therapists said that to me.....she said to think of "reasons" not to drink....instead of "reasons" to drink.

I liked that she used "reasons" vs. "excuses" .....cause a person can only take so much and normal people can have a drink when they are stressed.....we just take it SO far...that we end up sick.....

But we all have plenty of "reasons" we want to take the edge off....I had about 10 reasons today....hard life stuff.....BUT I didn't drink....

Because I had reasons NOT to.....
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

My reason for drinking was because I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. Recovery resolved that for me. I am finally comfortable in my own skin, which is all I wanted in the first place. I am good with just being me, and I am becoming a better me as time goes on.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to forget I existed. So it took a leap of faith for me to stay sober long enough to start feeling better. It took a few months for the alcohol-induced depression to lift but once it did, I felt so much better.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My reasons for drinking were mostly contrived. There was no problem in my life that was big enough to drink over. The big problem in my life was my drinking. I drank because I was addicted, not because my life sucked. I'm not saying it's like that for everyone, although I think it's true for many.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a great topic Lila - and, truthfully, figuring out "reasons" (ie the "why") I drank kept me drinking for a loooong time. I was so set on having to "get that" before I could quit - which I found was exactly backwards.

In the beginning, I had to set aside "reasons." Because indeed, there were some- for me, I believe most of all, I'm just an alcoholic; yes, I do have a genetic component and I believe in the disease model...and I believe things like anxiety, coping mechanisms, and so on certainly contributed to my drinking.

BUT. I believe we always, always have a choice to drink, so truthfully once we get sober, ANY "reason" is indeed an excuse. I agree with DriGuy that once we get sober in particular, there is no good reason to drink. Not a divorce, not a job loss, not a bad day, not Tuesday, not......nothin'.

Glad you are here.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Before I got sober, I had reasons to drink and excuses for why I didn't want quit.

Now that I'm sober the paradigm has shifted...I had excuses for my drinking and have reasons to stay sober.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for feedback helps
Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had plenty of reasons, excuses, explanations, rationalizations, justifications, etc. for my drinking and behaviour when I drank.

Since I have become sober, I fear them, because any one of them, because my believing them or relying on them can lead me back to the bottle.

Today, there are no reasons or excuses for aberrant conduct on my part (including, of course, drinking) that I can safely entertain.

Very good topic.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Lila?

D