Notices

Just ranting in 100 degree weather

Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just ranting in 100 degree weather

It’s been 100 the past two days and I feel like an inert slug, devoid of motivation and completely apathetic.

Not going to lie, it’s times like this where a cold beer sounds wonderful. What better a compliment to an already sedintary miserable lifestyle than a cold glass of alcohol. Lol

Kidding not kidding. Writing that out is helpful for me to spot the irony.

Anyhow, as mentioned, this is just a rant. I’m just a few weeks away from my record six months sober. It was exactly around this time last year that I relapsed so I feel I need to take precautions, even if it is making a gratuitous post about the weather lol

Thanks for reading 🙃
Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My goodness, rant away if it helps!

We are cold and rainy right now. Been a tense few weeks, everything is so wet, we had to plant grain uninsured. We just couldn't seed in time. Other crops have received insurance extensions. More blasted rain too. Even my home garden got a poop kicking this year. I have some seedlings still, but I lost 8 of 12 tomato plants in the ground and 5 of 6 peppers. I had to re-sow cucumbers.

I will join you in whining, and raise a glass of diet cola to you. (no name pop because unless this weather turns, it will be a winter of Kraft dinner and hotdogs. If my little mare ticks me off again, she will be the hotdogs lol)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi myliftlehorsie....love that name lol

Where are you located? Personally I would love to trade with you. I love the rain. This hear make me miserable 😭
Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing beats water - sparkling if you prefer

D
Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ontario Canada, Water Ox.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey bro!

What's up? You have been doing great, so keep it up. I'm always here so you can rant about anything. In a weird way, talking in here always makes me happy and peaceful to some extent.

Side note: You can move to Toronto. I heard the environment is rather nice lately.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weather extremes are trigger for me. Sudden rainy, stormy day: good reason to grab some beer and stay in and clean the basement (my mouth just started watering a little....shut up brain!!!) Finally nice and warm out after all that rain: good reason to grab some beer and work in the yard! Weather's been unpredictable between rain and sun: better grab the big case of beer so I'll be covered either way!

BTW, the basement still needs organized and the yard still looks like crap. Amazing that I tried that plan for over 2 years since getting my house!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

100 degrees? I would not be happy...I think it is 65 right now and raining and I have the AC in my room on.

I never enjoyed beer on a hot day...the beer got too warm too quickly and I got drunk too fast....

So that would not be an issue for me..and the Summer is here in my area now and I HATE it so much...I prefer the cold winters and the snow...but I am lucky to live in an area...with 4 very distinct seasons....Winter, Spring, Summer and FALL.

I like all but Summer.

Congratulations on almost 6 months...do not stop now.....keep going....

What do you think has helped you most to stay sober?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi WO! I’m right there with you about this heat. I do feel lucky to have AC though. I know what you mean. Last year I remember craving a glass of cold Chardonnay out on the patio. Interesting that it was into my second year of sobriety and the year before that I had no temptation or thought of drinking. Last year I was going through some other stuff too, so I guess the craving made sense. I remember taking naps and listening to my meditation app when the craving would hit. Now I am back to not having any thought of drinking, even when I have a situation that used to trigger me. Yesterday, I drank an iced coffee out on the patio. That’s what I was craving . It was wonderful. I think you are off coffee though? Maybe another substitute would be good. There’s so many healthy drinks out there. What about making a frozen fruit smoothie?

I think with more time, these old triggers will be less and less of an issue for you.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mylittlehorsie that sounds really stressful to have your livelihood tethered to the weather. Really hope it turns in your favor soon.

And WaterOx as a Texan, I can relate, though we’re actually in a mild patch thankfully. Good on you to come post and be honest about it. May you break the 6 month mark and keep going.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
Mylittlehorsie that sounds really stressful to have your livelihood tethered to the weather. Really hope it turns in your favor soon.
Actually, we are fortunate, our livelihood isn't - just our barn's. Dh and I both have good jobs, our farm is a separate business/venture. Honestly, it's a vanity project. However, if we don't get the yield we need, then we have to buy. Between hay and grain, it's $100 a week to buy.
However, today is a new day, there is a beautiful drying wind, the sun is out and I am in my office working on a year end for a new client.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there, friends. Thanks for responding. It's helpful.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In all this demotivated state I am trying to cut myself some slack and remind myself that (basically) any activity without drinking is good, even if it's just watching stupid crap on YouTube, which is what I am currently doing.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is always good Water Ox. I made this horrid, runny, fruity pudding on the weekend, I couldn't get it to set up, so I put chia seeds in it. One of my kids took the abomination to school and one of her little classmates asked if on their next playdate, if I could teach them to make it. She and my daughter found it delicious. (Take that, got ur crap together and your kids wear matching socks and remember to brush their hair moms) Sure it is hot as balls and miserable, but there must be something good.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Brew up some peach iced tea. Mmmmmmmmmm, perfect on a hot day! I could sit in the pool all day and drink tea and water.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’ve always found sparkling water, a bit of tart cherry concentrate, and a squeeze of lime, served over ice, to be refreshing on a hot day.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My personal favorite is sparkling water (can be flavored if you want for extra pizzazz) muddled with herbs and fruit. Been on a big basil and strawberry kick recently. Top with some ice and it’s better than anything.

i also love a good cold iced tea.

Hang in there WaterOx! I hate the heat, so I’m glad I live in the NE. Good for posting to head off any possible thoughts of relapse.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of good stupid stuff on YouTube! What about Netflix? There’s some great series. I’m going to get some gelato. I know I shouldn’t but whatev
Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Netflix is great but triggering as I used to binge watch and binge drink Netflix in the afternoons. I ate lots of ice cream but trying not to do that as much this time around. I gained over ten pounds last year after my first quitting. Plus too much sugar inflames my joints and prevents me from exercising which is a definite deal breaker.

I wish I could say today was easier but it in fact feels harder. Two days in a row of 103 degrees with no end in sight. All I can think of is “just one cold beer would be awesome”. Bleh.

I’m going for a swim after work. Thank goodness. Then maybe fish a little bit on the river. Fishing is a new hobby I’ve been dabbling in. I’m very inexperienced. I almost don’t want to catch one because I wouldn’t know what to do with it. LOL

Sorry about so much whining. I figure if I don’t do it here where else can I??
Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I almost don’t want to catch one because I wouldn’t know what to do with it. LOL
Shoot it. If anyone asks, tell 'em it needed killin' (I lived in Texas with my brother for a couple years )