Notices

Just ranting in 100 degree weather

Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Funny enough, I'm a new gun owner as well. My family is full of gun enthusiasts (secretly called gun nuts by me) and they managed to convince me to buy one. I'm going to take a class very soon.

No shooting, though. I read somewhere the fish and game dept. isn't too keen on that
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ugh, sorry about the Netflix suggestion WO. Glad you are self aware and didn’t listen to me. About the ice cream, I know what you mean. When I really need something, I have found some great sugar and dairy free alternatives that are pretty good. I love salted caramel. Can’t remember the brand. But I know it’s not good habit to get into because you could wind up trading one unhealthy addiction for another.

Some other things I used to do and have become practice for me even though I rarely have cravings anymore - take a nap with my earbuds and meditation app or a podcast, go for a walk if not too hot (won’t work now) or go for a drive. I like my art projects too. Such a good escape!

From my experience, I just know this craving you are having will pass! Stay strong!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Funny enough, I'm a new gun owner as well. My family is full of gun enthusiasts (secretly called gun nuts by me) and they managed to convince me to buy one. I'm going to take a class very soon.

No shooting, though. I read somewhere the fish and game dept. isn't too keen on that
Once you see how fun target shooting is you'll be a nut too...lol
Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fearless no need for apologies I appreciate your suggestions. I might even try Netflix. I just started the Chernobyl series on amazon/hbo. Five minutes in and I was already terrified.....aka hooked, lol!

I really hope you’re right about the cravings subsiding. I do recall a few months ago when I had some powerful cravings for a few days and they went away. I’m really hoping it’s loke that but I also know the triggers are in full force compared to then.

Jscatt yeah I think I’m going to have fun after a bit of practice....or probably a lot of practice ��
Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Last year, around this time I had on and off cravings that lasted for over a month. I was a year and half sober. I was going through some stressful parenting stuff. I have a friend who had 10 years sobriety when she had month long cravings when she was going through some big life changes - getting married and moving States. We leaned on each other for support, and I came here a lot as well. When you get through a phase like this, it will really strengthen you. I think it’s also a time when you have to go deep and remind yourself why you got sober and how much better you are as a sober person.

Glad you are here, WO!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
100 degrees? I would not be happy...I think it is 65 right now and raining and I have the AC in my room on.

I never enjoyed beer on a hot day...the beer got too warm too quickly and I got drunk too fast....

So that would not be an issue for me..and the Summer is here in my area now and I HATE it so much...I prefer the cold winters and the snow...but I am lucky to live in an area...with 4 very distinct seasons....Winter, Spring, Summer and FALL.

I like all but Summer.

Congratulations on almost 6 months...do not stop now.....keep going....

What do you think has helped you most to stay sober?
My wife and I are visiting Newport, RI for the first time next week.

I hope to go for a run or 2 there.

Our weather here in TN hasn't exactly been brutal at all, though.

On your sobriety question to the OP, for me, my sobriety has been the result of my relationship with God and my daily pursuit of the AA program.

They have given me 100% positive results for a long time.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
Shoot it. If anyone asks, tell 'em it needed killin' (I lived in Texas with my brother for a couple years )
Texas is famous (and rightfully so) for it's "He needed killin'" defense to homicide.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know this feeling. Florida has been brutal.