Notices

Robin Williams

Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Robin Williams

Watching a show about the life of the actor Robin Williams. It terrifies me, people with 20 years sober can relapse and go downhill literally immediately. We are never “safe”. This is something we have to fight for the rest of our lives. No amount of success or money, even no amount of time can save us. As someone at 10 weeks who thinks I’m doing great, I’m not safe. Not even close and never will be. Any wise words for how to process this, would really be grateful.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Robin Williams was suffering from depression to my understanding, which to my mind is more serious than alcoholism, although the two often happen together. If you are not suffering from depression, but are an alcoholic, it's the less grim prognosis.

My father suffered from depression, but was not an alcoholic. I was an alcoholic, but did not suffer from depression. My father got the worse end of that bargain, and wouldn't want to trade him for it. I found my way out of my problem. He never did.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What's the title of the show?

The thing that always amazed me with Robin was how someone who suffered so much internally was able to bring joy millions. I'm a big-big fan and student of stand up comedy and "lightning quick" off-the-cuff comedy will probably never again have a Robin :/
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Robin Williams' autopsy showed he had Lewy Body Dementia, which is a disease that causes significant cognitive impairment and interferes with everyday life.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Robin Williams once said his idol was a comedian many years his senior, Jonathan Winters, who also suffered with a similar problem, which he was actually quite open about. Robin mentioned this long before anyone ever knew he suffered so much inside.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
We are never “safe”. This is something we have to fight for the rest of our lives. . Any wise words for how to process this, would really be grateful.
welp, if i had to fight alcoholism/addiction for the rest of my life i dont think i would have bothered getting clean/sober. early on was a serious fight. however, with a crapton of footwork on myself, the problem i had with alcohol/addition has been removed. theres no more fighting.im still an alcoholic/addict but i dont have the problems that led me to drugs/alcohol.
i will stay that way so long as i dont rest on my laurels.
plus i remember where i came from.my past is my most valuable posession. if i were to drink/drug again-with 14+ years clean/sober now- i wouldnt pick up where i left off-id pick up like i never stopped.
i dont want to go back there because i know for a fact it will be worse and life is too good today-even when its rough going.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suffer from depression, anxiety and probably a personality disorder that hasn’t been diagnosed. My mom has dementia. So I’m basically screwed. I almost broke down crying in the pharmacy today because of the documentary. I feel it’s hopeless. Robin looked so sick near the end, I remember I loved Mork and Mindy as a kid. He seemed so lighthearted but had such a dark side. He maybe wasn’t watched well during his illness. They said he had cut himself with his pocket knife before hanging himself. I’m glad the liquor aisle looked dark and dirty in this pharmacy, I was close to a relapse. The documentary was called Robin Williams Inside My Mind.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 things come to mind for me:

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. --- Promise #12
1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He didn't die from a relapse. He had Parkinsons and Lewy Body disease. I watched a man go from working 60 hour weeks, helping us move once, to unable to swallow, using a Walker and essentially killing himself 6 years later. He died because he killed himself, because he was depressed and had dementia. Nothing to do with alcoholism. Infact when he quit coke 3 decades ago, the doctor told him he wasn't an addict, so his drinking too much and relapsing 20 years later is less about picking up after defeating addiction and more not believing he was an addict. Therefore never If you look at the lives of the comedians in the 70s and 80s, they all did coke and booze, some made it, many didn't.

The saddest thing that comes from Robin Williams story has nothing to do with booze, it's the loss of a wonderful man from a crippling disease. Having lost someone to the diseases he was suffering from, my focus is on improving access and support for mental health.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffered from both things - depression and alcoholism - and I don't think it's hopeless by any means.

Some people do relapse - but many don't - and I've seen people here on SR with decades of recovery - some of them posting in this thread.

Some people do take their lives - for all kinds of reasons - but many others, including myself, find a way through to happiness

D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-10-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get that he committed suicide because of the dementia symptoms. He did explain how he picked up after 20 years, it was one little bottle of Jack Daniels then within a week he was hiding bottles. I’m thinking the dementia could have been caused by his addiction. It all hits home with me, how bad will my mom get? What will I watch her go through? Will I pick up a drink years from now and be back in hell? Will my depression and anxiety always hold me back from happiness? Is alcoholism a symptom of my anxiety? I’m overwhelmed right now. Breathe, one day at a time
Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No one really knows why Robin committed suicide. He took that decision to his grave. I wouldn't try to project his reasons for your personal journey.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
welp, if i had to fight alcoholism/addiction for the rest of my life i dont think i would have bothered getting clean/sober. Early on was a serious fight. However, with a crapton of footwork on myself, the problem i had with alcohol/addition has been removed. Theres no more fighting.im still an alcoholic/addict but i dont have the problems that led me to drugs/alcohol.
I will stay that way so long as i dont rest on my laurels.
Plus i remember where i came from.my past is my most valuable posession. If i were to drink/drug again-with 14+ years clean/sober now- i wouldnt pick up where i left off-id pick up like i never stopped.
I dont want to go back there because i know for a fact it will be worse and life is too good today-even when its rough going.
exactly this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That’s super depressing
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can't think about the "future" you really have to keep it one day at a time...and do the best you can for yourself to stay sober.

If you really WANT to stay sober....you will.

One thing I will give advice on....Is if you are an alcoholic....Never, ever, ever think you can drink again in safety....

I had 8 years and thought that LOGICALLY since I had 8 years.....so MUCH time....I could have a few drinks...Nothing bad was going on in my life...well there was bad ...but that is not why I drank....

I just wanted to drink....like a normal person and go back to not drinking...

Don't ever think that is possible because it is not POSSIBLE for a true alcoholic to drink as a normal person EVER.

I have not been able to stop again since 2013.....and I want to....

So if you have ANY sobriety at all...do not let it go.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not helpful
Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for surper discouraging post don't need this in my life
Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lila125 View Post
Thanks for surper discouraging post don't need this in my life

Lila...are you ok? I don't see anything discouraging about any posts here....except you can't drink again if you are an alcoholic...but you know that if you are an alcoholic.

I'm confused by your responses....do you want to clarify?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sure I will
Makes me feel hopeless but I am not. Must be vigilant I agree.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lila

like I said before there are lots of success stories here on SR to be inspired by

Some people do, but I don't count Robin Williams as a death due to alcoholism - as Anna said he had other things going on.

D