Notices

Finally admitting it - I can't do this by myself

Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daytrippin View Post
Hi all,
I'm glad I found this group. I can't do this by myself, I know that now. I've been trying for a few years off and on and my drinking only seems to get progressively worse. I hit the "bottle of wine a day, every day" threshold a few months ago and I'm creeping closer to a bottle and a half and this has to stop. I know that alcoholism is a progressive disease and unfortunately it runs in my family. We are all alcoholics, every last one of us. It has killed a few of us.

Here's my introduction, by way of a list of the current thoughts running around in my head.
  1. I am tired of waking up at 3am with a pounding head-ache and not being able to go back to sleep.
  2. I am tired of sitting in this stupid chair every night drinking until I start to fall asleep or pass out.
  3. I am tired of trying to remember which store I bought my last bottle at so that I can go to a different store tonight
  4. I am tired of being ashamed of my recycle bin
  5. I am tired of wondering if people look at the bags under my eyes and know
  6. I am tired of lying
  7. I am tired of the bloat and weight gain
  8. I am tired of seeing all those debit card transactions at the end of the month that total over $300, sometimes closer to $400

I know that I suffer from anxiety and I self-medicate with wine. Wine helps me slow down my thoughts and chill and I need to find another way. Years ago I quit smoking (a pack and a half a day) using an old internet forum on Usenet called alt.quit.smoking I think. It really worked for me, so I'm hoping that this forum will help me the same way.

Thanks for being here and I look forward to learning from all of you.
Daytrippin
How did you quit smoking? Can you apply those same principles to drinking to excess?