Notices

Ready to try for real

Old 06-08-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome! I totally relate to the mental block that minimizes the consequences as we remember them the farther we get away from our last drunk. Something I've noticed, though, is the new sense of safety and security in sobriety. This evening, for example, would be my normal drinking trigger. No plans, no friends around, and the day off tomorrow... BUT, if I stay sober, I know for a fact I'll wake up tomorrow with a clean conscience! If I try to have the 3 to 5 beers I always tell myself I'm going to try, I'll drink 10 to 15 (because, hey, I'm off work tomorrow and gonna feel awful, so may as well maximize enjoyment now!)

This has taught me to be kinder to myself. Would you let anyone else do to you what you've done to yourself? Me neither. We paid our dues of pain. And for me SR has helped fill in the gap when there's no meetings or anyone to talk to at the moment. And there's always a few folks within a few days' sobriety of each other (Day 5 here ) so it's easy to relate. And some regulars with more time and awesome spirits with tons of real, straightforward, down-to-earth sharing.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you Least and Brian!
Really excited to start this life change with you all
And I can definitely relate with the just 2 turning into 12 phenomenon.
Honestly I don’t think I ever liked moderate drinking very much. I don’t expect I’ll regret not being able to drink like a normal person
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevinmalone View Post
Thank you Least and Brian!
Really excited to start this life change with you all
And I can definitely relate with the just 2 turning into 12 phenomenon.
Honestly I don’t think I ever liked moderate drinking very much. I don’t expect I’ll regret not being able to drink like a normal person
I hate moderate drinking worse than going without! ALL I can think of is whether it's been long enough to order another one...will these people start drinking faster? Maybe I can convince them to get an Uber home so they'll pick up the pace. If I space 8 beers out over 4 hours is that "moderate"?

Gosh, some of those things sound irrational when I'm sober
Old 06-08-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yep! That was me too
Old 06-08-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Kevin

D
Old 06-08-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hope your day has gone well, Kevin. Way to make the decision to stop. It's hard. It's nice having people who understand our stories. We can vent when needed and celebrate each day of success!

Glad you're here!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you guys both
D I like that Felix profile!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Kevin! I think waking up after NOT drinking is the best part of being sober.
I love The Office but which one is Kevin?? Guess I'll go hit up Netflix to figure it out.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Great job posting Kevin, welcome welcome! One day at a time!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevinmalone View Post
You’re right Brighterday1234, of all the pain I’ve endured because of my addiction, I have been spared a lot of it by sheer luck. Seeing posts on SR (I’ve visited the site and others like it many times before making this account), RAs often seem to have a deeper appreciation and understanding of life than those who haven’t gone through this difficult process.

I’m not going to pretend like the only thing I have to do is not drink - I find that a binge is often decided by my actions 3 or 4 days before I take the first sip. I am committing myself to a lifestyle change

Glad you are here and good shares, Kevin!

I highlighted those two pieces of your posts in particular bc YES, we work to and indeed can have that perspective and gratitude and empathy. It is a gift of recovery.

And - you are so right about a relapse/drinking not being about that first drink. In AA you often hear a version of being in your last 90 days of sobriety - what are you doing to prevent getting to that actual drink, what are you not doing...

So that leads me to the ubiquitous question: what's your plan?

That is indeed what pretty much every recovering alcoholic I know decides on. Action and follow thru in the new way of living, every day.

Lots of ideas for those and hopefully Dee or another will chime in with the thread of options I never seem to post!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey. Kevin! Just checking in with you. Wishing you well.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I too wish you well Kevin
I relate to your words about craving attention when drunk. I have so far learnt It is better to have real connections sober than fantasy ones when drunk. Yes it somehow feels good in the moment but the guilt and shame afterwards is not worth it. Long may your sobriety continue.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words
August, my plan is to start going to meetings after work during the week - I’ll be going to my first on Monday