Notices

Help please day 44 and struggling

Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please day 44 and struggling

I don't know how long I can hold out without getting wine.
The cravings are so intense, it's all I can think about. Have a meeting tonight so just trying to hold out. Not been this bad before. I don't want to do anything, have no energy, eating crap and desperately want wine and more wine.
I've no support at home, husband hardly speaks to me. No real friends to talk to. Starting to tell myself what's the point 😥
Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

can you treat yourself to something else before the meeting eg order a very expensive take away or eat some gourmet icecream? Remember. HALT.
You sound as if you are in the L phase of HALT
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read all the day 1 again threads. You dont want to be making one tomorrow morning do you? What do you hate about gettting drunk?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The point is to save yourself. Sometimes you just have to beat the craving second by second. Play the tape through. Visualize what will happen if you drink. Imagine what waking up after drinking looks like, feels like, smells like, etc. Dee once told me to visualize the craving as a toddler in a temper tantrum. You would ignore that toddler and eventually the tantrum stops. That visual still helps me when a craving hits.

You’ll build up your sober muscles each time you win the fight. You’ve got this!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Pinky. Sorry to hear you're struggling. I like Sammy's ideas. Or try to remember your last drink... how you felt then and how desperate you were to quit. I just finished working through withdrawals... they are horrible. You don't want to be back here.

Stay on here and keep reading and posting. We are here to help you fight through this.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And 44 days!!! That's awesome!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Atlast has great ideas too! But I didn't see that post until I had already posted
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
I've no support at home, husband hardly speaks to me. No real friends to talk to. Starting to tell myself what's the point ��
the point is your worth it. youre worth every second of fight ya have to fight the mental obsession.
pick up the big book and start reading it. call someone in recovery. post here. get on your knees and pray to whatever power you believe will help you.
dont drink one second at a time.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I almost really lost it several times. I was definitely at odds with my husband a few weeks ago. Don’t get wine. Get a healthy meal and a walk. Take a nap, a long bath, exercise. Keeping other healthy activities that are the opposite of drinking helps. Mani/pedi. Read a book. That craving will pass I promise.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The point is your health. If you can find a way to sneak it past your liver then go for it.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to post before drinking. Everyone who has gotten and stayed sober has been right where you are now and has gotten through it. So can you!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

help for you

Hello there, I hope I can help you in some way.
When I was down and having a hard time like you are having now I found that doing ANY kind of cardio always pulled me out of the flames.
It never ever failed me.
And I'm not necessarily talking about absolutely running yourself into the ground, but just spend about 15 minutes or so getting your heart rate up.
This technique alone saved my life.
Cardio is also fantastic if you're suffering from depression and anxiety.
Let me know how you do, and if I can help any more then please let me know.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay strong Pinky, you have lots of friends here. You're doing so incredibly well and your AV knows it.... That's why it's upping it's game. But you're stronger than your AV and the longer you stay sober, the easier it becomes to handle the cravings. In fact, the longer you stay sober the easier it becomes to handle everything. We're all here with you, you're not on your own xxx
Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m getting big cravings for wine too pinky (it was my drink of choice), I am on day 16 and you have done amazingly well to reach 44 and should be very proud. I really hope you can keep it going until you get through this tough patch
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

Your cravings are just cravings, nothing more. The only power they have is the power you give them. Let them die from malnutrition.

Starting to tell myself what's the point 😥
The point for me is to help other people. By doing that I receive far more help than I ever give. By coming here, you are doing exactly that!

Your posting today has helped me tremendously. It helped to bring my focus back to my recovery. What I have done in the past that worked. What I need to do now to to maintain my recovery. What I need to do in the future to advance my recovery. Thank you for posting. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your struggle with us! The hardest thing for me to do when I'm down is let anyone else in or even get close to me. I feel like I want to wrap myself in barbed wire just to keep the world away. Now I see you sharing this and I can almost feel just how hard it is. And the harder we fight, sometimes the more intense it seems to get. Like trying to hug a porcupine.

When I was struggling last Friday, I pictured the cravings as the leftover toxic residue of my disease --- the pus left over from the infection. And it has to come to the surface and be dissipated, like any poisonous exhaust. It didn't make it go away, and not much easier, either. But the intensity went from, say, an 8 to a 6, as I was able to feel some purpose to the craving. It wasn't going to pull me back. It was simply a painful symptom of the poison leaving my system, physically/emotionally/spiritually.

But it was still a rough go.

Can you at least come back tomorrow and post Day 45? Then whatever happens after that is tomorrow's problem.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You said you are going to a meeting tonight...so get up like now and go out....I know you said you have no friends...but I know AA gives phone numbers...if you have one....call someone and chat for a while...

I hope you get by this craving and get to a meeting....You said you ate...that usually takes my cravings away....

I'm here for you with everyone else...I really hope you do not drink cause 44 days is so good and you are going to hate yourself afterwards if you do drink.

I'm sorry you feel so horrible...right now....but it will pass...if you don't drink...

If you drink...you are going to crave to drink more and more and you may not get the 44 days again.

Praying for you now.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Pinky - there is always support here.

Can you go to more AA meetings if you need more face to face support?

Remember these tips too :
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
D
Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to you all for your support. I've stayed sober, been to my meeting and now in bed with a hot chocolate.
I will face tomorrow when I wake up. I really appreciate everything. Without everyone here I would have no doubt drank today.
Day 45 tomorrow. So glad I never threw it away
Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So pleased you didn't drink Pinky and props to you for coming here first! This community is awesome stay close