Notices

Court Date Tomorrow

Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

probably wont make a difference, but a person that knows about brake systems, how to repair them, and knows a vehicle he is going to work on doesnt have functioning brakes should know not to stand in front of or behind that vehicle when it is moving. he shouldnt have even allowed it to move before being fixed.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I also suspect his attorney wants to drag it out as long as possible because any other health conditions that occur will be blamed on the accident. Say he gets depressed and it affects his sex life...now his wife has a claim for loss of consortium. Of course this will be blamed on the accident. As you said, they can't get blood from a rock, so they'll try to come up with "just enough" injuries to be covered by your liability insurance limit, and juries don't mind giving away the insurance company's money. This is why insurance companies have really good lawyers. But they have to play ball with the plaintiffs' attorneys under the rules of the court and let them present their "full case". (I'm a bit cynical about these situations, in case it wasn't quite obvious
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your input! I did receive a ticket for this one and i believe in Colorado careless driving with injury is a misdemeanor or Class 1 violation. Honestly i believe that the other guys attorney is jerking me around because i basically have no assets and can't get blood from a rock. I didn't hit and run and it was an accident. They guy tried to repair my brake line, it failed, he asked me to get in my truck and pull it around the back of his. When i was doing so he was in between my truck and his. I hit the brake and they weren't working, panicked and hit the gas and hit his leg. That's what happened.
I will have to contact my insurance agency to see what is going on. Thank god it's Friday! What a week. Hope everyone has a good one!
Garrison
See? Glad you made it thru and didn't drink...at least you didn't say you drank....

My feeling is ...if you got thru an alcohol detox and have any time of sobriety with you...you can HANDLE anything.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am not usually "speechless" but this whole thing really has me speechless.

You are a very strong and powerful man and role model....

I am an alcoholic as well...10 days sober...I can understand your wife feeling "broken" and needing to get away.

I don't think you should take that additional pain onto yourself...she will work it out....you probably wish you could jump on a plane right now too....who would really blame you?

So I know your not mad at her...but don't feel like she is doing this to hurt you either...she is doing this possibly to save your marriage..

I'm so sorry this is still going on for the both of you....but you will get thru it...you have to...there really is no choice...

But I know it is hard when you don't know exactly WHAT you have to accept yet....the fines, the classes...typical DUI stuff...but you also know it will never happen again....that is fulfilling and possibly the Judge will go easy since you have been sober....

My sister got thru 3 DUIs and she is a Waitress with 2 kids...your sitting in an "office" I assume you are making more than her...it will be a small sacrafice for the rest of your life..

As far as your status with your wife....thats hard as well cause when we get sober we change..and sometimes the people that have been around don't know the real us...and don't know how to deal....my marriage of 22 years ended when I got sober.....we were 2 different people then.

And we are both alive and happy now.....so no matter what the end result...you will get thru it...just don't drink and make everything worse for yourself.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You said you were worried about going to jail. Isn't this civil court not criminal?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey there SR!
I haven't been on here in awhile and thought i'd post. Wow this year has been a whopper of a year and i'm not talking about the one with lettuce and tomato.
:p It's been challenging but i've been doing what i need to do to stay sober for over 32 months now. My court case continues to drag on although i did get an offer from the DA with my careless driving case. Unsupervised probation, safe driving course and community service. The guy i accidentally hit is coming after me for over 40K in damages (no surprise there!) which my attorney believes we can go to trial and fight. We will see! Anyway, it's been a year of transition and very difficult at times but i pray just about every morning and stay in the middle of the pack. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their sober life!
Take Care
Garrison
Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you man - hope you can get the legal stuff sorted out

D
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The law seems to take forever sometimes, anyway I'm glad that there is no question of jail time and it looks like it is coming down to a tussle over compensation.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
AA Member

Good luck with your battle and God bless!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad for the update, Garrison! What a relief when it's all finally resolved.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to hear from you. I'm glad it looks like the careless driving charge will be taken care of. I'm sorry that the guy is trying to get 40,000. from you and you're having to deal with lawyers, but hopefully your lawyer will get the amount lowered.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Kind of funny, I had my leg broken in the exact same way. A person panicked between which pedal to hit and was pinned between two cars and SNAP! The guy was my friend so I didn’t call the cops or sue though.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm not an attorney but, I'm confident I could beat that suit.. personally I'd take the plea deal for the criminal and then counter sue the 'mechanic' for not doing his job correctly.. that's just me though. I'd make him show prior taxes from jobs he's done, ECT..ya know 99.9% of his stuff is off the books,but from what you describe I place the blame on him.