Notices

Doctor's appointment tomorrow! Outing myself! Advice?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I was always scared to see a doctor because I didn't want to know how serious my issues were...and then it was too late. Props for getting it taken care of, and best of luck!
Can I ask why it was too late?

Doctors see heavy drinkers all the time. Nothing will surprise them, but whatever stage of alcoholism or illness anyone is at, it’s viral to see a doctor if you have concerns.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I suggest no bloods until at least a month sober. Of course if you have bloods now they are going to be all out of whack and not just your liver panels....the red blood counts, white and platelets....I know this from a ton of experience trust me...even talk to your Dr about it.

Be careful about "outing" yourself thou if you are on any medications that are controlled substances because if the Drs feel that you are at "risk" of drinking alcohol with anything they prescribe you...they will start weaning you off the medication that may be helping other serious problems in your life.

The medication "thing" is the only problem I have had with being completely honest...I have fought hard to keep my anxiety med (Ativan) because one psychiatrist as soon as I told her I had a drinking problem just stopped them abruptly...luckily my PCP at the time knew me well enough that I was not on a suicidal mission and that I have a high anxiety "problem" which is why I used alcohol much to calm my symptoms.

So my PCP kept prescribing until I found a new psychiatrist and ever since I have been really "hesitant" about being honest with Drs...because I need my anxiety med.

But it is always GOOD to be honest with your Drs because they really need to know what they are dealing with when they are seeing messed up blood work and such.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

Can I ask why it was too late?

Doctors see heavy drinkers all the time. Nothing will surprise them, but whatever stage of alcoholism or illness anyone is at, it’s viral to see a doctor if you have concerns.
I guess I shouldn't say "too late".....but I just avoided the doctor so long that my medical problems were far worse off than they would've been had I gone sooner.

My physical condition when I first saw the doctor "shocked" him. I know this because the doctor said "I'm surprised that you're alive right now".
Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Chiming in on tests and medication.

From personal experience, then research and now absolute conviction:
Get tests ASAP. Yes, things are "out of whack" but within a few days sober, get . them. done. You simply have to get a baseline for where you are. It was terrifying but absolutely necessary. Then get them done at around 90-100 days to compare. Things like B12 and iron and all kinds of things are truly important along with the liver panels.

Be honest about ALL meds you take, including OTC. I cannot stress this enough - I absolutely believe that any and all meds are everywhere from useless to destructive when we drink on them. We MUST get the substance out to see what, if, which meds will help us.

This is life and death. Honesty is always always always the best policy.

I'd rather have anything on my medical record, even if only the dr and nurses see it than....die because I was worried about anything that pales in comparison.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post

The medication "thing" is the only problem I have had with being completely honest...I have fought hard to keep my anxiety med (Ativan) because one psychiatrist as soon as I told her I had a drinking problem just stopped them abruptly...luckily my PCP at the time knew me well enough that I was not on a suicidal mission and that I have a high anxiety "problem" which is why I used alcohol much to calm my symptoms.
I think the default is for a doc to think a drunk is either asking for benzos to abuse in place of booze, or feels they're at high risk of developing a benzo problem due to having addictive tendencies.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Cowgirlie,

How did the appointment go? Even if you drank since this thread started, let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wondering that too! Let us know.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

me three

D
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

me 4. I am kind of in the same boat. Been drinking heavily for a long time and only just yesterday limited my intake to 4 beers after a fifth a day habit. I am hoping to not drink at all today and I have a dr appointment in 4 days for blood pressure meds. I also have not gone to the dr because afraid on what they will find. My sister in law is a dr and she has been prescribing my meds to me so I have not seen the dr in 4 years now. I am very interested in how this turns out.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

me 5....