Notices

True freedom in not having a choice

Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
Your description of the divided self really spoke to me. I've been noticing that more and more lately, how one moment I'm at ease with the world and my surroundings and the next I'm mulling over some critical comment or situation I disagree with. Suddenly I'm asking, "Who is this person and where did he come from? I was happy a moment ago. How do I get back there?" Sometimes I do and others I don't. It really helps me to hear you all have the same experience, but that drinking simply isn't an option.
It's been my experience that we react to certain things in habitual ways. For me, holding resentments was habitual. Conflict junkies are habitually drawn to conflict and controversy.

You said you have "been noticing that more and more lately" you are triggered from one emotional state to a less desirable one. If this is a habitual response to certain external triggers, you may be closing in on a take action point. You may be able to drop that immediate response and make "blowing off" those situations more a part of your mental makeup.

I only suggest this because my holding of resentments was most definitely a habit. Your situation may or may not be similar.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
It's been my experience that we react to certain things in habitual ways. For me, holding resentments was habitual. Conflict junkies are habitually drawn to conflict and controversy.

You said you have "been noticing that more and more lately" you are triggered from one emotional state to a less desirable one. If this is a habitual response to certain external triggers, you may be closing in on a take action point. You may be able to drop that immediate response and make "blowing off" those situations more a part of your mental makeup.

I only suggest this because my holding of resentments was most definitely a habit. Your situation may or may not be similar.
That is what yesterday felt like for me: a take action point! And this morning I went to a meeting I'd never been to before and just felt like I was in the right place. I was able to appreciate something each person said when they shared, but I also noticed I had to be active about it. I could see myself, for example, focusing on the fact that someone is going on and on. But as soon as I noticed myself wasting energy on that, I figured I'd practice my listening skills and see what I could take from their sharing, and it was almost like my guts shifted to a better place, and I was just glad to be there. And I wasn't the moderator, so I didn't have to worry about how long someone went on. Just enjoy my coffee and being in a room with awesome people
Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Beautifully written post and I can relate very much. I’m 10 months alcohol- free today and I think I’m just getting the hang of not letting those fleeting (or sometimes lingering) thoughts of drinking get me down.