Notices

Day 23 - Flashbacks

Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 23 - Flashbacks

Today is 23 days sober for me. I constantly get flashbacks to stuff (usually embarrassing or regrettable) I did while I was drunk.

But I just tell myself well... that was the old me
If I'm honest, I hope one day I can feel as happy and carefree sober as I thought I felt that first time I got drunk.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations for getting to day 23! I'm at day 17, it's not easy but you're the inspiration I need for the next six days from now on!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I suffered hellish recovery issues for well over 6 months. Thankfully, I could feel myself healing from day 1 clean.

I used to drive to work with 1 hour of sleep, hands sweaty, heart palpitations. I could only drive 60 mph because I had so much anxiety. All of it went away.

I still have some ptsd from those days, but mentally and physically I am a new man.

They say it takes 5 years for our body to fully regenerate every cell. I figure the deepest part of my brain is the last to re generate.

I don't look at not drinking as something I miss, it something I get to do. I get to choose to not drink.

Waking up with a natural melatonin hangover is amazing.

I keep coming here because it is part of my new lifestyle.

Today I was having gastric pain because I ate a protien bar and some potatoe chips. As I drove home from work, the pain subsided and I thanked God for my sobriety.

I thanked him again just now.

Proudly sober. I will never drink again. Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm approaching 5 months sober and during the early days I too was tortured by flashbacks of my drunken behaviour. Things I said, stupid things I did, god I would cringe. There was lots of crying too as I dealt with the loss, shame, guilt and regret.

But just like people here told me at the time, things do get better, one day at a time. I'm learning to forgive myself, love my sober self and look forward not back. The flashbacks will fade away, hold on and be patient with your recovery, and you'll emerge stronger. Congrats on your sobriety
Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestone TWTOM - I hope the past becomes less of an encumbrance the longer you stay in recovery

D
Old 06-05-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Today is 23 days sober for me. I constantly get flashbacks to stuff (usually embarrassing or regrettable) I did while I was drunk.

But I just tell myself well... that was the old me
If I'm honest, I hope one day I can feel as happy and carefree sober as I thought I felt that first time I got drunk.
I had the same thing. I called them the skeletons in my closet. As long as I was distracted with day to day activities I was not troubled by them but, in the night, alone in my bed, these little buggers would come out and start jumping up and down on my stomach, making sleep almost impossible.

It was frustrating to know that having a good day today, and behaving well today, was not sufficient to get me a good night's sleep. In the end I had to do exactly what I swore I would never do, talk to someone specifically about these events I wanted to hide.

Since I did that I have slept like a baby. I can look the world in the eye and be alone at perfect peace and ease. And the little buggers lost their power to put a drink in my hand.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And one day you will feel that happiness...but you can't give up....you have to push thru all this....and come out the other side...It will be hard in the construction business...after a hard day of hard labor....many drink alcohol....

But seriously alcohol is the last thing a tired, dehydrated body needs...keep doing the right things and right things happen is what a very good friend of mine told me over and over until I believed it.