Notices

Day 1 - Again!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 - Again!

I am on day 1 again. Just had a very boozy, wasteful weekend. I have a lot of trouble making it past day 2. Alcohol has a very tight grip on me and I am utterly sick of it. I have an amazing family & job and so much going for me, but I am so dependent on alcohol in the evenings. This weekend, I started 'sipping' in the afternoon. Ugh. I will lean on this site for support and try my hardest, no promises but I really have to put a lot of effort into it if I want to be alcohol-free. I will try to start exercising as I'm afraid my brain chemistry is all messed up now because of my evening drinking habit. Guys; can our brain chemistry go back to normal if we have messed it up? If so, does it take awhile - like weeks, months?
Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank for a lot of years - daily. I was definitely a mess when I quit. Things started to get better right away but it took about a year before I felt normal most of the time.

Do you want to stop drinking completely?
Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no promises but

This may be part of your problem staying sober.

You have to be able to promise yourself, no more suffering.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I have to quit, like most on this site - moderation is just not an option and I'm just feeling myself getting pulled more and more into this addiction. If I can't stop, it will destroy me and my family. They deserve better & so do I. I never would have thought I'd become an alcoholic, I guess nobody wakes up in the morning with that goal haha, but here I am! I can't believe it got to this point. I don't believe there are underlying issues, it seems as though I just loved 'the buzz' of drinking so much it turned me into an alcoholic. I have to learn how to be happy without it again, and I will! Monday morning is a great time to start, I feel motivated, when I'm weak I will come on here and ask for help. <3 Thanks in advance for the support guys, you're all awesome and although I don't post much I spent many many hours reading your valuable insights and comments - this site is truly amazing <3
Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,
I had a hard time making it past day four, so I know what you mean.
It took me awhile, I don't remember how long exactly, to get my body and mind back in order. A couple of months maybe, And I drank for thirty five years. I've been sober for over ten. It was awhile ago.
I did have underlying issues, but I can't use that as an excuse. I drank to the point of becoming alcoholic and I take full responsibility for that.

I also take full responsibility for my recovery. I needed help and I found it here and in AA. I couldn't quit alone.
Yes, come here when you want to drink. That would be a good start.
With me, the important thing came to me that I never had to drink again.
So obvious, not so easily done but so true.
I hope you can make this your last day one.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, GettingReady, I hope this is Day 1 of many for you. I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, just knowing that you're going down a bad path even if you're not at the bottom of it yet.

Day 16 for me, and it's feeling good. A couple of people have complimented me on how good I look in the past couple of days, probably because my skin isn't blotchy, face not bloated, and I'm exercising instead of going to the bar.

Anyway, I hope you are able to expel the poison that is alcohol from your body, mind, and soul forever. Keep checking in here. It helps a lot.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, your brain chemistry will go back to normal. It was actually a struggle when mine returned to normal, because I had so many thoughts and feelings going on up in my brain, and didn't know how to deal with them. That's when I started writing.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GettingReady

I don't know if my brain chemistry is back to normal or not but I do know I don't drink anymore. If I can do it I think anyone can.

Action's the key - you'll get back the effort you put in - guaranteed

D