Notices

I have a sponsor!

Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I have a sponsor!

I’m on day 16 I was going to check out a celebrate recovery meeting which is supposed to be more religiously themed. That meeting is no longer being held so I decided to go to the next AA mtg. Long story short I have opened my eyes again to how AA can definitely be a major tool for my Sobriety. The speaker offered to be my sponsor. I have a big book and I’m ready to do this all the way. With SR an AA and continually Praying for the willingness and desperation needed to be fed up with Being complacent about my recovery I know I can do this.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you! I know you can do this too...

You sound really well and on a track that works for YOU.....

Sounds like you got a gift tonight....and you may be one of the lucky ones that makes it....Fingers crossed...but keep up the good work.....
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you have found a sponsor and that you feel positive.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you to both of you *big hugs*
Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations LLG

D
Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Finding a sponsor is a great start. Keep going to meetings with lots of reading and posting here.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow amazing stuff! Good for you m sounds like you are taking the action to save your life!

AA has saved mine. I am just over 13 months sober now because of God and the fellowship and SR. The steps are changing me as a person.

Well done I am so happy for you. Keep going it really is true that it works if you work it and it gets better and better!!

🙏❤🙏❤
Old 06-02-2019, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Update: Today was a huge success. I went to FOUR meetings! I have never even went to two meetings in one day let alone four. I shared at two of them and I got to know 4 ladies that want to help me stay sober through my vacation next week. Amazing day and looking forward to more meetings tomorrow. I definitely want to keep this momentum going and build up a sober life to fall back on when things aren’t going so well.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good stuff
Old 06-03-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Update: Today was a huge success. I went to FOUR meetings! I have never even went to two meetings in one day let alone four. I shared at two of them and I got to know 4 ladies that want to help me stay sober through my vacation next week. Amazing day and looking forward to more meetings tomorrow. I definitely want to keep this momentum going and build up a sober life to fall back on when things aren’t going so well.
Amazing! Go you!

I have just got back from a sober vacation and it was my best holiday ever.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As you grow and change in recovery never
let go of your lifelines using them as a guideline
on a continuous daily bases to achieve health,
happiness, honesty and many more of life
wonderful gifts.

Each day build your recovery foundation
strong and solid with one step at a time
to become successful in your own recovery
life.

Good Job..!!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is great to hear!

I'd add that deepening and adjusting my intial idea of how a program would work have been important- for example, yes, having a program to "fall back on" is a good perspective in many ways - yet it can become, more importantly, a way to view life all the time. Learning that the promises are very possible and real is truly amazing. Living free of fear (and leaving that feeling of desperation behind) is beautiful.

Listen to your sponsor and hopefully she'll be a good guide for the Steps. Meetings + working the program are a great recipe for me.

Keep going, one day at a time.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Four meetings in one day! I admire your enthusiasm.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read the Drs Opinion and Bills story. I meet with my sponsor to start step work tomorrow. I have time to fit in 2 meetings today. Also, I’ve been listening to shares on youtube and its all incredible. Im glad i just randomly started working harder on my sobriety. 2 impactful statements I’ve heard so far are:

dont leave before the miracle happens

and

sober people drink, people in sobriety dont

on another note i know we need to be of service and help other alcoholics, i met a girl who is homeless last night, I could offer her to stay a night at my place, but since im leaving on vacation in 2 days i dont feel sure about extending this offer. Also, i just met her. How do u guys “be of service” while still protecting yourself in a way?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you found a sponsor.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, LiveLike.

I've been around AA for a long time. I could share numerous very bad experiences with homeless women, women fresh out of jail, rehabs, runaways, etc., in my early recovery. When I finally found a very sober lady to sponsor me, she had me step back and stop giving rides, money, and meals to everybody. She taught me I was doing 12 step work by just showing up at a meeting. Not everyone coming to AA meetings are there to get sober. You need to be cautious. Not everyone in there has good intentions.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And congratulations on 16 days. That's great. And for reading the Big Book and listening to those awesome tapes.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I am seriously so happy that I have SR to balance out AA. I finished another meeting where i shared and got two phone numbers. I feel so active right now in my sobriety it feels great. I am still uber uncomfortable just sitting there in the chairs but its better than a nasty anxiety ridden hangover!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post

on another note i know we need to be of service and help other alcoholics, i met a girl who is homeless last night, I could offer her to stay a night at my place, but since im leaving on vacation in 2 days i dont feel sure about extending this offer. Also, i just met her. How do u guys “be of service” while still protecting yourself in a way?[/left]
LLG,it is awesome to read the actions being put in for recovery!
your instinct told ya what ya have to do. maybe it was even yer HP
i dont feel sure about extending this offer. Also, i just met her.

listening to whats goin on inside and learning its ok to say NO is a good thing.
being of service isnt limited to AA.
Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us.
not just alcoholics.
i am of service at this time by volunteering at a dog rescue and starting next week will be watchin my nieces 5 year old 3 days/wk for the summer;a legit reason to act 5-WHOHOOO!!!
thats 2 ways to be of service.

look up lyle p aa speaker.1st commercial airline pilot convicted of flying drunk.amazing story.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Quick note - being of service can indeed mean all kinds of stuff- BUT there is a reason it's step 12. You're just getting started so it was wise to listen to those who told me that my sobriety had to be #1 priority. And you'll read in the BB where it talks about good and not good ways to help other alcoholics- two ways that need to be approached w caution are giving them money and letting them stay with us.

This is about you right now- and that is the good kind of selfish. Glad you are starting the work, and in my experience, progressing thru the steps at a pace, but not rushing, and with a lot of listening and reading, made the most solid foundation possible. I do think we can be a little too eager and find that not sustainable if we get ahead of ourselves or get frustrated if all the things we are doing don't produce immediate results.