Notices

I have a sponsor!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Right on August^

About to listen to Lyle P right now

i am super eager right now and almost like who am i!? Lol im loving it though. 4 meetings a day for the last 3 days, 12 meetings in 18 days!! And i just have to say im sharing at almost every mtg, letting ppl know i really want to get plugged in, and made 2 “program calls” today.

i started step 1 with my sponsor, got some writing to do. Found out i met and exchanged numbers with my grand sponsor before i even got my sponsor!

off to miami tomorrow, wont be able to go to any meetings, but will do reading, writing, phone calls, and SR.

*hugs*
Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

LLG - a trip right now is a very early "test." If you do have to go (which I always disagree with as a notion) then I strongly suggest a specific plan. Ie, call or text your sponsor AM and PM. Spend 30 min on SR. Read or listen to a specific podcast. A to do list is a great way to channel all this enthusiasm.

I'd also do something called playing the tape forward, in a way - picture EACH DAY one at a time as you will go thru it, and stay sober.

And listen to your gut and default to leaving a situation, dinner, whatever at the second you get squirrelly.

I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but something tells me that bringing it down a little to a focus, like being on Step one and having your BB with to read over what you and your sponsor have already been discussing- would be really smart and safe-guarding of yourself. It was really important to me rather than an all over the place and program approach.

Let us know how you're doing!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There are a ton of meetings in Miami. Probably right in the hotel.

Miami - I used to live there and it's a party town like no other. Make a plan right now of what you will do when there are opportunities to drink - and there will be.

Have sentences planned out for saying "No," have an escape plan at all times, and keep a credit card with you so you can always call an Uber/cab.

I don't go on the drinking escapades with other people when out of town. It gets too crazy too fast.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I came into the program 10 years ago (I been in and out, 48 hours sober now) I went "all-in." It felt awesome to be comfortable in my own skin when sober for the first time in my life. 90 days in, I hit a wall and wondered "why isn't this working." I had gotten so used to being "up" that "level" or even a little "routine" felt "down." But I don't regret the initial enthusiasm, and I do remember someone pointing out that "when your up, you're way up, but be careful because it can go the other way."

I hope this sharing was helpful in case things start to level off it'll feel more "ok" than disappointing. But nothing wrong with feeling good about doing something positive, either
Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LiveLikeGold6 how are you doing. Day 19 for both us us! Great that you have a sponsor. Hope you're feeling better, I know I do. Just wanted to check in with you x
Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Zamie and everyone!!

I just realized I made it seem like I’m not doing any meetings in Miami LOL but quite to the contrary. I have a phone list from a wonderful group from back home and I have been checking in with those ladies and they suggested i “book end” with them for any things I do out here that will be a temptation of sorts. Book ending is calling the same sober person before and after the activity. Also I have plotted all of the meetings I will be attending at least two per day on my trip. My sister is here and she is a raging alcoholic and even she knows I will not be attending any parties with her we can meet up for lunch and a little bit of walking around but that will be all. I’m going to do dinner and a ball game with a friend that does not drink at all. I am checking in with my sponsor daily. And I’m still making program calls with the other ladies that are newer in their sobriety as well. And of course I’m coming here. I will not fail this trip! I brought my big book and some other books. I am reading power thoughts by Joyce Meyers and I highly recommend it. It is 12 powerful positive thoughts to renew our minds as she puts it. think it goes great with the 12 step recovery! Day 19 over I will check in tomorrow, goodnight everyone

On another note my son told his dad about my drinking and going to the hospital on our last family trip a few weeks ago. His dad was highly upset and told me not to do drugs on this trip. I felt like such a horrible mom and I was breaking down crying on my way to the airport. I was mad at him for talking to me that way but at the same time I don’t blame him because now even my seven-year-old is aware of my drinking and I just cannot continue like this

*hugs*
Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That is a LOT of good planning for the trip !!

I'm sorry about the unfolding with your son...it's true, tho, we do figure it out and earlier than our parent(s) would like. It's seared in my brain that I was 11 when my mom's drinking "first" emerged.

You are sober now and working hard- it WILL only get better the longer you are sober, for you and everyone else.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you August. I have been struggling with the guilt of how bad things have gotten on occasion and I have a feeling I will be fighting the guilt for a long time, but at the same if I indulge in the guilt too much the ENEMY might use that to persuade me to drink and I that's not an option anymore.

I stuck to my plan. Lunch and walking with my sister then I zipped off to a meeting, and then another. I truly have found a new family in AA. I cried a bit during my share tonight and I remember the fear of crying was what held me back from sharing for many many years. But it was okay! The fellow next to me cried too and we hugged. Today I'm a grateful alcoholic and addict. Tomorrow can wait. Day 20 over and out, good night all!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SO proud of you LLG!! And so many people talk about feeling family when they go to AA anywhere. I haven't been to many other city's meetings but have found it "just like home" too

Enjoy Days 20, 21, and more. Glad you are here!!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Thank you August. I have been struggling with the guilt of how bad things have gotten on occasion and I have a feeling I will be fighting the guilt for a long time
thats rather common for many alcoholics. that guilt started the day after my last drunk. for the first time in my life i was lookin at my past, without trying to stuff it, and seeing the wreckage i left, how many people i had hurt and what a mess i had made of my life. i did a LOT of cryin at meetings for a while. typically while sharing that wreckage.
one day during a meeting an old fart, who eventually became my 1st sponsor, nudged me after my share and said,"quit kickin yourself in the ass. your not a bad man just a sick one. bad men dont feel guilt,shame,and remorse for their past. sick men do and theres a solution."
that made sense. i kept bustin my arse on the steps and,just as promised, i stopped regretting the past. no more remorse,guilt, or shame about it. not afraid to look at it either. my past is the most valuable posession i have today.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Tom that gave me chills thank you!!

Day 21 went to a fab new mtg n met new friends. Invited to an AA picnic tomorrow that I’m definitely going to. Thank you all for being here!!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 3 weeks LLG

D
Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ending day 24 with 29 meetings in the bag!