Notices

Drink driving offence and Security Industry license in UK

Old 06-02-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drink driving offence and Security Industry license in UK

Hi all,
I got a friend in charity works (unpaid workwork) place.He is relaly hopeless with his situation and looking for a help.
As per him he got the following conviction on drunk driving in UK.
1.27 month driving ban.
2.Community order of 120 hours.
3.A court fine of £370…
He never tells his employer and SIA industry and working the same job.He sees SIA website and find no offences updated.
He can't say anyone regarding his offence as I guess he is safe to work because he has given all his employer details and nature of work to police and the court
He believe police would tell SIA and his employer if he was not fit for the work he has been doing .However SIA website says he has to inform a new conviction to themwebsite otherwise license could be revoked and imprisonment could be made.
He worrys he may get another conviction at the time of his license renewed .He also fears that he may get a imprisonment sentence once SIA knows that he is working without informing SIA?
He got advices from solicitors that he may get any punishment while informing or not .No one is sure of the outcome.
Anyone here who have faced the similar situation and shares an experience here would be a huge relief for him .
I will pass this info to him.
Thank you for your support.
regards
Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulsandy View Post
Hi all,
I got a friend in charity works (unpaid workwork) place.He is relaly hopeless with his situation and looking for a help.
As per him he got the following conviction on drunk driving in UK.
1.27 month driving ban.
2.Community order of 120 hours.
3.A court fine of £370…
He never tells his employer and SIA industry and working the same job.He sees SIA website and find no offences updated.
He can't say anyone regarding his offence as I guess he is safe to work because he has given all his employer details and nature of work to police and the court
He believe police would tell SIA and his employer if he was not fit for the work he has been doing .However SIA website says he has to inform a new conviction to themwebsite otherwise license could be revoked and imprisonment could be made.
He worrys he may get another conviction at the time of his license renewed .He also fears that he may get a imprisonment sentence once SIA knows that he is working without informing SIA?
He got advices from solicitors that he may get any punishment while informing or not .No one is sure of the outcome.
Anyone here who have faced the similar situation and shares an experience here would be a huge relief for him .
I will pass this info to him.
Thank you for your support.
regards
Anyone here has had experiences or solicitors please help.!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul

sometimes people won't have experience to share, or sometimes it may take a little while for those who do have relevant experience to read your thread.

I know your DUI (and your friends situation) is important to you - but please try and remember we're a recovery community not a legal advice group

D
Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Paul

sometimes people won't have experience to share, or sometimes it may take a little while for those who do have relevant experience to read your thread.

I know your DUI (and your friends situation) is important to you - but please try and remember we're a recovery community not a legal advice group

D
Thank you Dee for your reply !
You are right that this is a forum for recovery.Anyone's sharing here wouldn't be taken as a legal advice.It will be taken as a peice of real information .Folks share their experiences by heart.And we can relate it with our problem and legal advisor's advices.It would really help to take a decision .You know most of the solicitors just give the plain ideas rather than a experienced one ???
Therefore I think here we are the real victim who has/had been passing through.?
Sometime we get a real information so I thought why not give a try ???...Hope it will help for recovery tooo...
If my thinking is not relevant here we could dismiss the post too .
regards
Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

By law he has to tell his employer about the conviction as in the U.K. drink driving is a criminal offence. His SIA will be invalid and if anything happened at work he could be sued for fraud and his employer could also be sued by their clients for employing someone without a valid SIA. x
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Straight off the SIA website under the section “your license could be revoked if”

If you receive a conviction, caution, warning or any other kind of criminal offence during the holding of your SIA security licence.

If you tell them they can take into consideration other things and not necessarily take the license off you for a DUI but they will absolutely do that if you don’t declare it and they find out. x
Old 06-08-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dee and MantaLady ,
I was out of station however you were my mind at all times.I regret that it took time to say thank you.Now i feel that i have friends here who care me and i feel supported at all time
I know its all about an energy we transfer from one person to another even though we never met or saw each other.A positive and supportive energy means soneone is feeling good.
Hope you all are supported and fullfilled .Take care !
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My personal opinion is to ALWAYS follow the law.

He may still be able to keep his job in some capacity if he at least does what the court has ordered him to do...one of those things being informing his employer.

Otherwise he is putting himself in a worse position...with more worries and legal consequences ahead.

He has to suck it up and take what is coming and he will get thru it...especially with a good friend like you,

There is something I repeat to myself: Do the RIGHT things and the RIGHT things happen.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
My personal opinion is to ALWAYS follow the law.

He may still be able to keep his job in some capacity if he at least does what the court has ordered him to do...one of those things being informing his employer.

Otherwise he is putting himself in a worse position...with more worries and legal consequences ahead.

He has to suck it up and take what is coming and he will get thru it...especially with a good friend like you,

There is something I repeat to myself: Do the RIGHT things and the RIGHT things happen.
Yes Missy2,
Tgank you for joining your hands on this battle .I will let him know your opinion.Yes we have to be sincere to everyone and ourselves .However sometimes it makes the situation worse if we disclose the things
Court doesn't say anything that he has to report to his employer though.
In this case he would save his job for 2 years at least as his license is expiring at the begining of 21 .
He ia thinking he can do something in 2021 to save his job and license if they don't become to hard.At the sametime he worries for the term "Could be a six month imprisonment and upto £5000 penalty if not disclose of the conviction" .The law is vague in this situation and a pratice of law in this regard is a experience of someone of this kind.So wanted to know someones experience here.However if not anyone here lets see what he think further
Our aim is to find more information .You.know a small problem is considered a big at this situation.Lets hope he will find a way out ....take care

Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The court won’t tell you you have to disclose it to your employer. That’s not what they do as lying to an employer is a civil offence and not a criminal offence. They are there to hand out the legal punishment in the eyes of the law regarding criminal offences and nothing else. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to tell the SIA. By the SIA rules he MUST tell them if he is convicted of any criminal offence. x
Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Paulsanndy,

As a person with a legal background in UK/Irish Law I can tell you that a person whom is driving a vehicle that is insured they are obliged to inform there insurance company of any change in there circumstances during there policy and this is know as the doctrine in Insurance law as umbea fides[/I]-** of the upmost good faith**.If your friend where to be involved in a road traffic accident and he did not inform the insurance company our his employer his insurance policy would be invalid and then if I where a solicitor against him I would sue them both under the tort of negligence for any result that was created by a road accident then where would your friend be no job, financial ruin, and further criminal charges.However, as this is a alcohol forum sometimes we need to face up to our mistakes due to alcohol in order for us to recover.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
The court won’t tell you you have to disclose it to your employer. That’s not what they do as lying to an employer is a civil offence and not a criminal offence. They are there to hand out the legal punishment in the eyes of the law regarding criminal offences and nothing else. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to tell the SIA. By the SIA rules he MUST tell them if he is convicted of any criminal offence. x
Hi Manta lady,
You are so much helpful in this regard .I will tell him your message that definitely help him to be decisive .I know a drink driving convction only is not a sufficient reason to disquality a SIA license however SIA may seek few character references .He is reluctant to disclose this to community people .He shames a lot.In this case are there anyway to.prove him he is not a bad person.May be a health report ?
Any idea please share
.Really grateful to you.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jhonnyspa View Post
Hi Paulsanndy,

As a person with a legal background in UK/Irish Law I can tell you that a person whom is driving a vehicle that is insured they are obliged to inform there insurance company of any change in there circumstances during there policy and this is know as the doctrine in Insurance law as umbea fides-** of the upmost good faith**.If your friend where to be involved in a road traffic accident and he did not inform the insurance company our his employer his insurance policy would be invalid and then if I where a solicitor against him I would sue them both under the tort of negligence for any result that was created by a road accident then where would your friend be no job, financial ruin, and further criminal charges.However, as this is a alcohol forum sometimes we need to face up to our mistakes due to alcohol in order for us to recover.
Hi honeyspa,
Thank you for joining with us.
Worried about character references as i wrote to Mantalady and and how to deal with work place if he inform his employer ?
People will think him he is a mess !..He worrys a lot how to deal with them ?.He shames a lor.
Insurance company has known already and working on third party damage .He must pay back that amount as well and he needs the job to be saved.
At the sametime he feels not good working at same place disclosing theis mess.Any idea who faced this already get recovered through this situation.
Haveca great day !!!