SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of June Part 1 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438960-class-june-part-1-2019-a.html)

ReadyAtLast 06-05-2019 11:47 PM

Thanks Citrus. I know what you mean about well intentions first thing and then midday/afternoon it just hits you. I've started walking as someone recommended on here. I find after a walk I don't want to drink.

You're doing great mariposa - keep at it :)

Welcome back Red. It is so difficult in the heat of the moment isn't it.

Have a good day everyone.

ReadyAtLast 06-05-2019 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 (Post 7199283)
I am doing brisk walking started around half hour now doing like 3 hours since I have a good amount of time on my hands. Also gives me time to think and work through my issues mentally. I want to start weight training soon and will replace walking with elliptical for cardio as well most likely. Just by not drinking should drop a ton. Also have been eating very healthy delicious food. Used to eat so much garbage that would make me feel awful. And by healthy I mean Steaks chicken salmon with vegetables and fruits. So easy to eat healthy and taste so much better and saving a ton by eating in.

Thanks New, yes that sounds just like my diet-steak, chicken, salmon with veg every night. Mr RAL is a lobster fisherman so we have lobster and crab at this time of year which is so good . Iove greek yoghurt with berries too for snacks and loads of eggs!

wow-3 hours is impressive!1/2 hour nearly killed me last night but I suppose I will improve :) It's so good for mental health too, as you say, so hopefully I'll feel better mentally and sleep better too
Thanks for your help and have a great day :) :thanks

Newbeginning421 06-06-2019 12:33 AM

I started slow and worked my way up same way with diet. First week i ate tons of garbage but quit the booze. 2nd week gave up mayonnaise chips and junk foods. 3rd week started eating fruits veggies and such also gave up processed foods like sausage and bacon so it has been baby steps and feel great! Lobster and crab yum! I am jealous!

Red78 06-06-2019 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast (Post 7199509)
Thanks New, yes that sounds just like my diet-steak, chicken, salmon with veg every night. Mr RAL is a lobster fisherman so we have lobster and crab at this time of year which is so good . Iove greek yoghurt with berries too for snacks and loads of eggs!

That sounds sooo delicious, I would love to have lobster, very expensive here in NZ.

ReadyAtLast 06-06-2019 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Linners820 (Post 7199369)
I think that sounds like a good way to start and I'm thinking of doing the same in addition to posting here each day. I'm with you on the weight gain--drinking has caused me to pack on the pounds like crazy. I feel like I'm wearing a fat suit. :(

Linners-that's excatly how I feel :( poor food choices when drinking too :(

Newbeginning421 06-06-2019 05:37 AM

Day 27 The feeling like i am jumping out of my skin and restlessness is worst it has been. Feel kind of out it but still sober so that is good. I see all of this as kind of a game as I have always been a competitive person and very much into games so maybe a way for my brain to adapt. No matter what happens I will not break bring it on!

DJ1 06-06-2019 06:10 AM

Good morning all Day 7 cant believe im still only sleeping an hour or 2 a night :(
today i ran first thing now off to work today is a good day planning ahead each day is really helping how I attack each day! this time it feels different ! changing my routine each day is a big help

have a great day all

DJ1 06-06-2019 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Erratic (Post 7199107)
sry to hear that new x

past few hrs i have been struggling even put myself back to bed but got up as hub said we needed coffee so went with him to get myself out of stupid cycle i go in when im not drinking. So i will be having some dinner shortly instead of sulking in bed. Got work tomo so up early and see if my sludge of a mood improves then.

have a good evening all x

Erratic how you doing ?

Erratic 06-06-2019 07:34 AM

thanks for asking Dj1, still sober but on my few days so trying not to think and cave in. mood was bit better while at work, but now its my problem hrs ahead.

good job on your 7 days hun and yup do what u have to do to keep at it x

i had work this morn and finished at 1-30 then went straight out with my dog and now back. so not sure what to do yet for the evening. i guess i am lucky i can sleep anytime thats one of my probs in hiding from this.

good to see u all posting.

Newbeginning421 06-06-2019 07:36 AM

Ha I just ran into someone I know from bar on street. To be fair have not had my cell for a month cause did not really want to talk to anyone from that scene. He said everyone assumes I am dead. Am i really that bad that the first assumption of everyone that I have died. Not even jail just dead!

Linners820 06-06-2019 07:46 AM

Good morning everyone. Day 2 here. Feeling a little rough this morning but I had a good sleep last night and glad to have woken up knowing I didn't drink.

Newbeginning--I know that feeling of restlessness. I use natural supplements to help with that like magnesium for example.

RAL--yes the poor food choices when drinking are also a huge part of it. All the empty calories from alcohol plus the lowered inhibitions to eat other junk have been terrible for me. I had purchased a juicer this winter and was using it pretty regularly for a while there. Now that summer's here with all the farmer's markets and fresh produce around Im looking forward to bringing it out again!

Newbeginning421 06-06-2019 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Linners820 (Post 7199888)

Newbeginning--I know that feeling of restlessness. I use natural supplements to help with that like magnesium for example.

Thanks if this continues will definitely give magnesium a try. Have a great sober day!

Calitano 06-06-2019 02:52 PM

Hi all, nice to catch up and read all your posts. Day 6 down for me.
Went to an exercise class and on the drive home deliberately took a really long roundabout route to get out of habit of gym --> car --> store --> wine --> drinking alone on the sofa. Whatever works right?
Sleep still bad for me, woke up this morning with that panic that I'd been drinking nigh before. I'll take it as a good sign - that sobriety means so much to me,

ReadyAtLast I had crab today too: white crab meat in avocado with a little chilli and balsamic. Sooo good, but an expensive treat for me. (*which I've just realised was a really dumb thing to type / have in my mindset as a big portion about the same $$$ as a bottle of white). Enjoy your fresh lobster and crab!

Red78 06-06-2019 03:39 PM

The best thing about not drinking for me at this stage is waking up sober, although I find that the morning of day 2 I am so dead in my bed I just can't drag myself up, I sleep well which I know a lot of people don't but I feel like lead for the 1st week.
Now that I'm at work though i feel very happy which is great.

Linners820 06-06-2019 06:03 PM

Just checking in on the eve of day 2. Had a decent day, took my dog on an hour long walk earlier. One of the positives about not drinking is being able to take her out--I'm often feeling too lethargic after drinking to even consider it. Felt good to watch her splash around in the bay for a bit enjoying herself and knowing I got some good exercise in was nice.

No real urges to drink yet. Hope you're all doing well!

Finallytime 06-06-2019 06:36 PM

Hello class! Day 7 coming to an end here, and I’m quite proud of myself if I may say so! I’m home alone, and that used to be my favorite occasion to get drunk (I.e. I don’t have to pretend in front of anyone that I drink like normal people), but my plan held strong, and I’m now in bed looking forward to another morning where I don’t hate myself. It’s just the best feeling in the world.

Goodnight to everyone in this part of the world, good morning to everyone on the other side!

jess1804 06-06-2019 06:59 PM

Day 1 for me and joining the class!

Dee74 06-06-2019 07:22 PM

Welcome Jess :)
congrats on the week FT :)

D

Calitano 06-07-2019 03:16 AM

Mid-morning check-in, day 7

Need to be very careful over the weekend and plan some "what to do when..." strategies!
Cancelled a few late meetings today and arranged to go for a run with a friend, should keep me focussed on myself for a bit. Early sobriety is a very selfish time. Has to be I suppose. A bit like grief.

And with that thought for the day - hope you all have a good one :-)

Dee74 06-07-2019 03:23 AM

Congrats Caitano :)
yeah - do some planning...be prepared :)

D

Finallytime 06-07-2019 03:47 AM

Good morning everyone, Day 8 starting now! This is by far the longest stretch I’ve had in years.

Calitano, sounds like we are in a similar place, I had to make some plans last night, I had my favorite drinking opportunity (home alone), but the plan worked! I didn’t drink. Your plan sounds good, I think breaking the routine and interrupting the brain paths for drinking is the important thing.

DJ1, how are you doing?

FT

Newbeginning421 06-07-2019 04:48 AM

Day 28 while I am stronger than ever in my commitment to not drink PAWS is beyond annoying. Want to fight my way to the life I want to live but I am all over the place mentally and physically. HALT is one of the most important things I have been told in recovery not only in regards to not drinking or using but life decisions in general. Last night before sleeping I was hungry, angry, lonely and tired of coarse. Also was full of hatred so double H! If feeling any of those emotions think extra carefully about the decision you are about to make whether it is messing a friend or whatever. Amazing how much a goodnight sleep can do. I feel like drinking and drug use when stopping is like getting a credit card bill that you have ignored and the interest has snowballed into something absurd. I feel like Atlas right now with everything that is going on but have no choice to remain strong! Have a great day everyone!

creativespirit9 06-07-2019 05:02 AM

Good Morning All

Starting day 7 and struggling to overcome depression. I have to work all day and then drive an hour and a half to celebrate my boyfriend's father's bday. Its going to be about 40 people most of whom I dont know and everyone will be drinking.
I am not looking forward to it but I have to go as BF and I are probably getting married and I care about his parents. Its going to be tough not to have a beer or 10 esp since I feel fat and have nothing to wear and oh yea- BF is 15 years younger than me so Im dealing with some self consciousness there too.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts. It helps to read what other people are going through as well as the wonderful advice from others who have already been through similar experiences.

My plan for tonight is to hold on to water at all times ..I am hoping I can do this.

DJ1 06-07-2019 05:33 AM

Morning Day 8 lets do this but i have to be honest if i don't sleep soon im going to go crazy :( may have to go to the DR
Finallytime new beginning i have made a sticky note for HALT will use that from now on thanks
well time to start work I have a list of things to do each night to keep me away from my bad habits so far so good day at a time
Happy Sober Friday everyone !!

JulySeaCoast 06-07-2019 06:40 AM

Hello class, I’m late to the June class but want to join you. I have been reading along for a few years, I was originally in Jan 2016 class.
I’ve had no alcohol since Sunday night :) Thank you for being here, SR

DJ1 06-07-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JulySeaCoast (Post 7200524)
Hello class, I’m late to the June class but want to join you. I have been reading along for a few years, I was originally in Jan 2016 class.
I’ve had no alcohol since Sunday night :) Thank you for being here, SR

Hi better late than never :) have a great day

GreenDog 06-07-2019 07:35 AM

Today is another day 1 for me and I’d like to join your class. Unfortunately I have had many day 1s over the past decade but am determined to make this my last day 1. All of my previous failures have at least helped me to develop a solid plan of action this go round though.

DJ1 06-07-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by GreenDog (Post 7200551)
Today is another day 1 for me and I’d like to join your class. Unfortunately I have had many day 1s over the past decade but am determined to make this my last day 1. All of my previous failures have at least helped me to develop a solid plan of action this go round though.

GreenDog glad you joined we can all help each other along on this journey ! June is a great month :) :You_Rock_

GreenDog 06-07-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DJ1 (Post 7200568)
GreenDog glad you joined we can all help each other along on this journey ! June is a great month :) :You_Rock_

Thanks DJ1! I’m about to be done for the day at work so the weekend (and the real test) begins soon. Instead of stopping for beer on the way home, I plan to head straight to the gym and run a couple miles. Then I plan to get some much needed yard work done to round out the evening.

Hope you get some sleep soon!

nadt 06-07-2019 12:05 PM

Working on day 3

Hello everyone. I'm working on day 3... again. I've been a heavy drinker through my 30s. I've stopped many times, and each time came back drinking even more than before. Today is rough. I'm dizzy and with any activity other than walking through the room, my heart races.

I'm not sure how this site works, but I'm glad to have a group that can support each other. I'm going to need it.