SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of June Part 1 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438960-class-june-part-1-2019-a.html)

Petecrab 06-18-2019 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Zombie79 (Post 7208858)
Sounds like a plan Pete! I've never done a year sober, I've done just over a month in the pasto but would love to see what I'd be like after a year both physically and mentally!:-)

Start of day 8, morning walk with the dog done, showered, good breakfast and about ready to go get the bus to work.
Hope everyone has a good day

It feels amazing Zombie. I did July 2013 to October 2015 and I was a different person. Just got to keep remembering that. The good feeling we currently feel being sober!!

NorthernLass 06-18-2019 03:28 AM

That's great Pete!! Congrats!!!:c011:

8en 06-18-2019 03:30 AM

I'd like to join. Day 5 today for me after a couple of false-starts in recent weeks. This is it, though. This is the one.

Dee74 06-18-2019 03:32 AM

welcome LoveDD NorthernLass ad Ben :)

D

MovingForward1 06-18-2019 04:29 AM

I'm off to rehab in 24 hours. I'll have no access to digital media while I'm there so I won't be around the forums for at least another month. Thanks for all the support I've gotten from the class and others and please know I'm pulling for every one of us to experience and grow in a new sober life!

Today is going to be hard, packing things up, making decisions on what to keep around, facing the hard truth of the next steps in my life. I'll be busy but plan to stick close to the forums to keep me on track.

Have a great sober day

Newbeginning421 06-18-2019 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by bobdrop (Post 7208932)
New-When you're under the cloud of booze, that's what alcoholism is. I have been so blessed in my life, and am about to be blessed again, but then come the thoughts that maybe I can have a little booze to enjoy this special event and then the alcoholism kicks in. The intention is never to be selfish or to hurt the ones we love. This disease is hard and is why we are all here. Trying not to be selfish or hurt the ones we love, and eventually stop hurting ourselves. Just trying to explain from my own experience.

Day 3 here. Feeling a little better all the time. Eating everything in sight. Getting quite a few people in this class. Welcome all and hoping for best results for all.

I applaud everyone that is here for really trying to make positive change in their lives and the past is the past and as I said I understand 100 percent the mental gymnastics of oh I will only have one or two. Just can't figure out why in the world people would risk destroying innocent bystanders good intentions or not. That brings me back to my original question what is so important about booze? On one end we have a little bit of pleasure and enjoyment on the other side complete destruction and chaos. If you have stuff you really care about and not oh well screw it life is pointless everything is pointless how can one do the cost benefit analysis and decide to even attempt drinking? Again this is not bashing someone for their past more food for thought for the future. This line of thinking has helped me stay sober so far!
Glad you are feeling better Bob and wish you many sober days ahead!

NewDayNewMe 06-18-2019 05:30 AM

Hi, OK if I join the group?

First day sober, hoping to never drink again. Got some time off work and support from my wife, so here I go, one day at a time.

Thanks,

Andy.

MovingForward1 06-18-2019 05:35 AM

Welcome to the class! It's a great thread to just post your thoughts/ cravings/ happenings of the day or ask a bunch of questions or just say hi.

melski 06-18-2019 06:05 AM

Want to join the June starters

Hello, and day five for me.
Happy June everyone.:tyou

venuscat 06-18-2019 06:34 AM

On one end we have a little bit of pleasure and enjoyment on the other side complete destruction and chaos. If you have stuff you really care about and not oh well screw it life is pointless everything is pointless how can one do the cost benefit analysis and decide to even attempt drinking?
:) This is awesome. And I feel the same way: it is one of my tools.

As a sober person, I get to be accountable...instead of causing chaos and destruction. I am not trading that in for anything. :) :hug:

Wonderful to see so many people here.....hello to all of the new peeps and love to everyone. :grouphug:

venuscat 06-18-2019 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by listae (Post 7208810)
I'm joining this class on Day 1. Tomorrow is my Day 1 after drinking on and off again for three weeks.

:hug: s Really glad to see you dear listae....we missed you! :) :hug:

venuscat 06-18-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast (Post 7208865)
Welcome to the newcomers. Some familiar faces :)

Congrats on your week Violets and everyone else on your days.

Day 3. Slept a bit better last night. I have blood sugar issues/verge of Type 2 diabetes. I have to lose weight and if I follow a v strict diet I can control it. Problem is in the early days of sobriety I just want to eat carbs :( I did yesterday and my blood sugar reading is high this morning.

Today I'm going to make some healthier food choices. though difficult when I just want to eat cheese on toast and Haagen Daaz :(

How about a chicken and avocado salad? With whatever greens you like....it is so yummy and avocado is kind of substantive if you know what I mean....and it does stop me going for the cheese. :)

Loooooooooooooooooooove cheese....I get New Zealand cheddar cheese online because it is the best!!!

I am sure that every day you will get better at making good food choices. And it's addictive, because you start to feel wonderful. And then there is just no going back. :) :hug: s

venuscat 06-18-2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 (Post 7208920)
Day 39 here!Hope everyone is having a good sober morning afternoon or night depending on where you are on the globe. Just had a question for the class. Why is alcohol so important? I 100 percent understand the mental gymnastics of hey maybe I can have just a few and things go steeply down hill from there as I have done that more times than Gilligan has attempts getting off the island! But in the past I personally have been wandering aimless through life with no real family or significant other, frankly did not give a crap about anything. Recently I have found purpose in life was kind of hard before with my BPD as often felt empty. Can't one make their purpose being the best father/mother they can be for their kids just as an example as I often hear stories about alcoholics losing their families. If ones kids and family are so important how is drinking even a consideration. Lets say you can moderate somehow you won't be the best parents possible as even non alcoholic parents who drink i have found are often off doing dumb things. I think it is comparing apples to apples but not 100 percent, I grew up in a hoarder household which seriously screwed me up as the newspapers and clutter were more important than me. If one does have significant others and people that depend on them how in the world can one be so selfish. Not attacking anyone here but why is drinking so important that one chooses that over their kids and family. I for the life of me could never understand that. If you want to drink your own life away I could understand that at least but to take the ones you love down around you just seems awful to me!

I have an answer, if you don't mind. :hug:

Because for many of us (alcoholics) we come to a point where we lose the choice. We come to a point where alcohol becomes as necessary as air and water....our hierarchy of needs gets messed up. We know we are destroying ourselves, but we become so physically and mentally addicted that booze comes first. A drink to steady, or calm the nerves, or to get the brain working, or to stop the shakes, or a million other reasons that become imperative....and we are stuck. Stuck in a horrendous cycle that we can no longer escape from.

We have lost the choice to be human....to know as you do that nothing is more important than being a good husband/partner and dad....than being a good man, a good human. I too believe that that is the purpose of life. :hug: xx

Daytrippin 06-18-2019 08:27 AM

Feeling good this morning

I've been trying to submit my morning update and I keep getting interrupted. Darn job! :-)

Anyhow, I'm about a week in and I am finally starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms subside. No more pounding headache or foggy brain. I think my stress/anxiety level is even down today. Fingers crossed that this is a trend and not just a hiccup.

I went to a very interesting meeting last night. It was a small group but the conversation was pretty lively and the topic was Step 2. I am way to early in the process to start the steps but I love hearing everyone's different perspectives. I discovered that I am not the only one who has trouble with the concept of a higher power. Won't keep me from searching for one though.

Going for a walk on my lunch hour - beautiful day today but rain coming tomorrow so I have to enjoy it while I can.

Hope everyone has a great day!
D.

venuscat 06-18-2019 08:37 AM

I struggled with that too....the higher power part.
And then I heard other people in meetings use the term "Good Orderly Direction". Now that worked for me, big time. :)

And the power greater than myself became the group....so Step 2 just clicked for me after that. :hug:

Erratic 06-18-2019 10:08 AM

sry to say on day 1 again, good note i was sober for wedding and sunday and did do 6 days stint i think on the craving med i was on.

venuscat 06-18-2019 10:12 AM

Very glad you are back dear Erratic. :hug: s

NorthernLass 06-18-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7209092)
I get New Zealand cheddar cheese online because it is the best!!!

Really venuscat?? New Zealand cheddar? Maybe I am just being picky as we can only get mild NZ cheddar here. IMHO Mature English cheddar is far superior to NZ cheddar! :D :D

venuscat 06-18-2019 10:47 AM

Hmmmm......where are you love? As in what country? :)
I am getting sharp NZ cheddar, I don't like the mild ones, and I didn't know about English cheddar as such....off to see what I can get here. :) Thank you xx :hug:

nadt 06-18-2019 10:48 AM

Hello and welcome Andy, Love and Northern!

I'm always glad to catch up on the posts in our June class. I'm doing and feeling well. I've been sober 2 weeks now, and the difference from week one is amazing!

Hoping everyone has a day filled with strength and feelings of support.