SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of June Part 1 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438960-class-june-part-1-2019-a.html)

venuscat 06-15-2019 11:12 AM

:) Well, it's a nice time to make some future plans that are possibilities..... :) Maybe you can start a travel savings fund, and watch it happily grow. :)
But first things first and all.....and how awesome is 15 days and a new hairstyle? :hug:

Calitano 06-15-2019 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by peaceful2 (Post 7206908)
If I live life without AL I know that I will build inner strength. My anziety will decrease..I will sleep better...I will learn to deal with problems without having to comatose myself.
How will living sober improve your life?

Hello peaceful, interesting question, really caught my imagination...

I used to be a fairly competitive amateur boxer and kickboxer. The great old trainers and coaches used to say it's not just about fight night or winning, you have to keep learning: get into the process and journey and discipline of continuous commitment and improvement through training. For me learning to be sober is similar: it's about learning to endure and sit with the process.
That's how each day is better lived for me. So the life improvement isn't a destination - as in 1 year "that's it" or 5 years "I'm there now" but more the process of living each day more honestly and building the strength of character to make the right choices - not the easy ones.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but thanks for helping me think that through!

Newbeginning421 06-15-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Calitano (Post 7207088)
Hello peaceful, interesting question, really caught my imagination...

I used to be a fairly competitive amateur boxer and kickboxer. The great old trainers and coaches used to say it's not just about fight night or winning, you have to keep learning: get into the process and journey and discipline of continuous commitment and improvement through training. For me learning to be sober is similar: it's about learning to endure and sit with the process.
That's how each day is better lived for me. So the life improvement isn't a destination - as in 1 year "that's it" or 5 years "I'm there now" but more the process of living each day more honestly and building the strength of character to make the right choices - not the easy ones.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but thanks for helping me think that through!

Great analogy! Makes perfect sense!

Strugglingto 06-15-2019 12:42 PM

Sign me up, now at day four, so hopefully the horrific withdrawals have ended

Zombie79 06-15-2019 02:18 PM

Day 5 and my first sober weekend in a while.

Really productive. Finished one of my craft projects this evening and managed to do bits and bobs to my kitchen. Got rid of a lot of clutter and it's beginning to look more like a kitchen and less like a bomb site!
Enjoying the productive bit even if it means a lot of washing dishes- something I hate.
Hope everyone has a good evening

Petecrab 06-15-2019 02:34 PM

Day 5 complete here. Busy day at work kept my mind occupied. Actually made the gym this evening after work, first time I’ve gone after work in a couple years. Treated myself to a McDonald’s which I haven’t had for about 8 years. Regretting it as I’m feeling full but still better than my old usual Saturday evening antics!

Zombie79 06-15-2019 03:08 PM

Had the same thoughts myself Petecrab.

Was out on an evening stroll with the dog and thought- what a difference from last weekend which was basically getting up in the morning. Realising I'd half a bottle of wine in the fridge. Drank it, went out and bought more alcohol then the weekend was a haze of doing nothing but drinking, falling asleep,repeat. Then going into work on Monday, fuzzy,tired, wondering where my weekend went!

I had a big bar of chocolate today but considered it a treat. Don't want to go down previous routes of just overdoing the sugar. Yes, I may have cravings for sugar but I've other options like fruit:-)

Petecrab 06-15-2019 03:17 PM

I don’t mind the sugar cravings too much at the moment, better than what I was putting in my body before!

Zombie79 06-15-2019 03:23 PM

True

Just most times I try to go sober, I end up really overdoing the sweets. So trying to get more fruit and veg into me. I think my body will thank me in the long run lol

Petecrab 06-15-2019 03:49 PM

For sure! Any exercise? I felt great getting back in the gym today!

Dee74 06-15-2019 06:01 PM

Welcome Seattle :)

D

ReadyAtLast 06-15-2019 06:49 PM

You have a beautiful cat Venuscat. I love cats too and have 2 :)

Feel really in the dark depths of depression. Ive felt like crying several times today. In a pit of despair I just can't get out of. Stupidly I drank just to shut off the feelings and now in the dead of night I'm lying here full of guilt, shame, regret, And fear of actually not having the strength to do this. to get sober.

Physically worried too. Got a fit bit last week and my heart is racing. Drinking is making me ill physically, mentally and emotionally. This I know yet still return to it. Will try and get some sleep now and dust myself down and start day 1 when I wake up.

PeteGibbons 06-15-2019 06:54 PM

Day 5 done. It started ok. But i got really anxious and grumpy this evening. Had to leave the house.and family behind for a few hours while i wandered around in town. Took a 1/2 Xanax to try to take the edge off but it did not really help. Oh well. Going to bed warly again. Did not drink and Im happy for that.

Petecrab 06-15-2019 08:13 PM

Readyatlast I’m sorry you are having such a hard time. Hit me up if you want a chat

Dee74 06-15-2019 09:41 PM

I had to have faith that not drinking would work out RAL. You know already that it does :)

I thought I was going mad the first month - lots of depression dread and tears...but it did get better :)

If you can't get through the depression yourself maybe it's time to see your Dr about it?

maybe even think about some face to face support to help you stay sober?

D

timetotry1 06-15-2019 11:44 PM

Hi, can I join this class. Had a slip a month ago and been drinking nearly every day since. Today is day 1

Petecrab 06-15-2019 11:53 PM

Of course timetotry. Welcome. Lots of support here. Put it behind you and go again

ReadyAtLast 06-16-2019 12:48 AM

Thanks Pete & Thanks Dee,
I know Not drinking really does work and works for me so so well. How on earth have I fallen into this pit again and again and again.
Dusting myself off and starting again today, thank you.

Dee74 06-16-2019 01:40 AM

Welcome timetotry :)

D

Zombie79 06-16-2019 01:49 AM

Readyatlast- totally understand. Everytime I relapse, I always think in hindsight- I knew it was a bad idea. But with me it was a habit. Getting alcohol after work, during the weekend to deal with stress.

Today I woke up at 7am, no snoozing, I was ready to get up and make the most of my day which is a total 180 compared to last weekend where I think I managed to just about get up at 10.30. no walking the dog til afternoon, no want to do anything but get drunk. Today I plan to get stuff sorted in my kitch and get meals prepped for lunches next week. Day 6 is starting really well and the dog is already tired from the lovely morning walk we had:-)

timetotry1 06-16-2019 02:01 AM

Thanks everyone. Really feeling at a low today. Feeling a fool for keep repeating the same actions again and again.

bobdrop 06-16-2019 02:10 AM

Day 1 (Again) and hoping to survive the day. 16 hours until bedtime.

Dee74 06-16-2019 02:26 AM

I'm glad you came back Bob- welcome to the thread :)

D

ReadyAtLast 06-16-2019 02:39 AM

Thanks Zombie.
Welcome back time and bob.

bobdrop 06-16-2019 04:28 AM

Thanks Dee and RAL. It's amazing just how stubborn I've been. This has got to be it.

DJ1 06-16-2019 04:38 AM

It’s page 17 on the thread & day 17 for me !
Odd now I’m sleeping again I’m waking up like I’ve been run over by a truck grrr

So many new classmates welcome !! I’m reading everyone’s posts struggles triumphs one thing that is constant we all know we need this

Happy Fathers Day !!

Off to hit the TM because for the first time. In forever I overslept :)
Have a great sober Sunday everyone

Dee74 06-16-2019 04:42 AM

happy fathers day to everyone who celebrates it today :)
D

ReadyAtLast 06-16-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by bobdrop (Post 7207529)
Thanks Dee and RAL. It's amazing just how stubborn I've been. This has got to be it.

Me too Bob. Im just going round and round in this never ending painful cycle of drinking, then saying it's day 1 managing a few days sober if at all then drinking again. and repeat.

Daytrippin 06-16-2019 04:51 AM

Ughhh headache

Good morning all. I've been waking up clear-headed for the past 4 days and loving it but for some reason this morning I have quite a pounder. I'm going to say it is just due to all the time I have been spending outdoors lately.

Going to pop an allergy tab and a couple of Tylenol and get some coffee and get moving. Hopefully it will subside.

Wishing everyone a great Sunday!
D.

Petecrab 06-16-2019 05:02 AM

Feel the same zombie. I’ve done more now by 1pm today than I would have been the entire Sunday before!