SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just getting started (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/438957-just-getting-started.html)

Babers1999 05-31-2019 02:23 PM

Just getting started

Day 6 of being sober, tried before with no real seriousness. I started having extremely scary panic, psychosis or some type of something I cannot describe that was happening after I drank. I was literally scared to this point. Been drinking for almost 28 years. I want start living again.

Ghostlight1 05-31-2019 02:54 PM

Hello, welcome and congratulations on six days.
I believe there is alcohol induced psychosis. If there is, I had it. Auditory hallucinations, paranoia and spine chilling anxiety.
I drank for thirty five years.
You may have made it past the worst part, but believe me, things will only get worse if you keep drinking. It's called Kindling.

The good news is you don't have to worry about that if you don't pick up that first drink.
Try with seriousness. Seek out help, whether that be AA, this site or something else.
My last ten years of drinking were going through that cycle. I'm lucky I don't have cognitive problems any worse than they are.
Start living again. Best to you.

least 05-31-2019 03:42 PM

You'll find a lot of support for sobriety here. :) I hope we can help you stay sober for good. :grouphug:

Numblady 05-31-2019 07:00 PM

Welcome and glad you are ready to start living. Can you see anyone about a medically assisted detox?

Misssy2 05-31-2019 07:02 PM

Congratulations on your new "outlook" on life...with your attitude...I feel like you will do well and be able to not drink...I hope so and good luck.

Im on Day 3...and "we never have to feel this way again".

Dee74 06-01-2019 04:04 PM

Welcome to SR Shellybaber :)

6 days is a great start - you'll find a lot of support here :)

D

Hevyn 06-01-2019 06:11 PM

It's great to have you with us, Shelly. SR helped me find the courage to quit and stay sober. Talking things over with those who understand means the world. It feels wonderful to be free of it, no longer numb & foggy. (I drank 30 yrs.)

Congrats on your 6 days - that's fabulous progress.

D122y 06-01-2019 06:16 PM

As I healed from my 40 plus years of off and on drinking I could feel myself getting better.

I suffered paranoia, aches and pains, the inability to stand in one place comfortably for any period of time etc etc etc. I was a dead man walking.

As I continue to heal my addict mind periodically jumps up and says it is time to drink again.

Thanks to SR, I have been educated to know i will continue to feel pulls toward addiction again, even while loving my healthier mind and body.

I have sober role models that I see almost daily and they remind me, without their knowing, how amazing being a non drinker is.

It is like driving a Corvette in a race against folks riding tricycles. It is super super cool!

I suffered like I can't explain getting here and I am so proud to be this clean words can't describe.

I thank God everyday for SR and all of you.

Amen.

Thanks.

Grateful0603 06-01-2019 06:52 PM

Congrats on 6 days... it only gets better from here