Notices

Hello

Old 05-31-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
8en

Hello

New here. 5 days sober. Taking each hour as it comes, and currently working on avoiding calling at the shop for booze on the way home from work. I drank heavily for the best part of 20 years, since my late teens. I've tried to give up before, but this time feels different. I'm giving up because I truly want a sober life. I want all my arrows pointing in the same direction. Anyway, thanks in advance for any support that folks can give, and I hope in time I can offer some support to others, when I get some proper sober time under my belt.

Also, I don't really know waht I'm doing in terms of how this all works, so apologies in advance! All the best, everyone.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Five days sober is a good start. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. Using this website everyday has been critical to my recovery. The June class should start today. I suggest enrolling in it. Also, not drinking will get much easier over time.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Yes, you're in the right spot. You'll find a lot of support here.
Like you, I started drinking in my early teens, and I was an alcoholic from the first drink. I drank for thirty five more years. All of them heavy drinking. I'm lucky to even be alive.

I've been sober now for over ten years.
After many, many failed attempts at quitting I finally prayed to the God of my understanding, and it was all different.
I thought maybe I could do this, and I was a very bad drunk the last ten years of my drinking.
It was different. I rang up AA and met a man who drank like I did and had successfully quit. I went to meetings and found rooms of people there for the same reason. Solving our common problem with drink.
I came here and found support.

Congratulations on five days, that's a great start, and yes, take it hour by hour if need be.
And please keep in mind, you never have to drink again.
Best to you, and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ben - you'll find a lot of support here
you posted just fine - thats all there is to it

Read around - see what other people are doing - and ask as many questions as you want

Good to have you aboard

We're just starting this months support thread - might be worth being a part of that?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-1-2019-a.html (Class of June Part 1 2019)

All you need to join is post

D
Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome 8en! Please keep it up, and keep coming back. It sounds like you're on the right track.

I'm early in too, coming up on two weeks. It just feels better every day. Let's do this!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you with us, 8en. This is the best place ever for encouragement & understanding. I was able to quit after 30 yrs., thanks to the support & friendship I found here. It meant everything to know I was no longer alone. You can do it! Life will be so much better.

Congratulations on your 5 days!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The best "hope" I heard in your post is its different this time...that really means you might have this! Best of luck. Keep going and keep posting...love to hear it.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
8en

Thanks for everyone's kind words and support. I've taken some more positive steps since I first posted this, and have a firm foundation in place for recovery. I hope to be back here regularly.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome 8en.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 8en View Post
I want all my arrows pointing in the same direction.
This really spoke to me! I feel like that's what's different for me this time, too. Day 16 today, but it's been a pretty awesome 16 days. Not all "fun", but still "good."

Hi 8en!

If I may suggest, please don't feel you need some magic number of "proper sober time." While humility is a good thing for folks like us to work on, I'm learning sometimes we need to get ourselves out there a little bit more than we're used to just to practice what it's like interacting in and with the world without alcohol. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome!!!