Notices

My wife told me I need to quit

Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My wife told me I need to quit

Hi all. First post. Male 46 yo, good well ordered life. On the surface at least. I’ve known that I drink too much for some time, but I’ve kept it hidden. I pretend to be a normal drinker when other people are around. I would pretend to drink half a bottle of wine, then say I’m tipsy and time to stop, but in secret I would take big swigs from the whiskey bottle or vodka bottle or any hard liquor really that we happen to have in our liquor cabinet in the kitchen (which I would frequently visit to make little “snacks” each night) when nobody is there to watch.

A few times I also bought bottles that I would hide, but it did make me feel guilty, so I would usually pour them out the day after.

Anyway, my wife is a drinker, but doesn’t seem to have the same issues as I do, she actually doesn’t feel like drinking sometimes, and when she drinks she would more often than not just have one glass of wine. I’ve expressed my concern about my own drinking a couple of times, casually, not in a way that would raise an alarm (or so I thought), so finally today (I’ve been drinking daily for months now, probably a bottle and half of wine, or equivalent thereof) she told me that I need to stop drinking.

She is right, but it makes feel so... embarrassed maybe. The problem is that I feel that my wife resents me for being so weak. She’s not quitting, and she thinks I should be able to just not drink as much. I feel like I’m a failure somehow.

I’m going to try to quit, today. But I know I need help, I don’t think I can do this alone. I don’t think AA is going to work for me, so I’m hoping coming here can help instead. I’m afraid of failing, to be honest. I so want to do this, but it’s so hard when I come back home after work every day. That comfort of a mild buzz is... hard to let go of.

Day 0 today, Day 1 tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll always find support here. We understand how hard this is, even if your wife doesn't. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good. Waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Finallytime View Post
That comfort of a mild buzz is... hard to let go of.
Welcome to the forum! Many of us felt the same as you. I hope you read around and post often! Here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7194885 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 444)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-2-a-6.html

Why do you feel that AA would not be right for you?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really hard for others to understand how difficult it is for us to stop drinking. That's why it's good that you're here because we do get it.

My suggestion would be to change up your routine. Instead of coming home from work looking for the buzz, how about doing something totally different - maybe going to the gym, something like that. You can do this!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I don't think it is fair for your wife to say "you" need to stop drinking.

I would ask her to do it as a team....that you feel you can not do this alone...it doesn't make you WEAK...it makes you a strong husband to be able to say "I need you to do this with me".

If she doesn't want to do it with you..possibly "she" has a problem as well.

I'm not married but I had a life partner and I would do ANYTHING for "us"....So I wouldn't usually say this but in this situation put it back on her.

And then in your own mind...sure...start thinking about how you can slow down...and not make it such a problem even if she doesn't.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You've got a tough one on your hands. I wish I could relate, but I was too drunk to ever get married.
Long term girlfriends called me out on my drinking, though, even if they drank like your wife.
I was a flat out drunk and didn't care who knew, so our situations are quiet different.
I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in wanting to quit drinking.
You'll find a lot of support here. So hang around.
Best to you.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe she doesn't see it as weak so much as she's genuinely worried for you?

In any case what she wants is really secondary to what you want - do you want to quit - for yourself Finallytime?

sounds like you do?

D
Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That evening buzz is difficult to let go. Not impossible, though.

Most of us here also found that the compulsion to drink overcame our good intentions. I certainly didn't intend to join this club, but here I am.

It is so worth it to stop drinking. Everything - E.v.e.r.y. single thing gets better without it. Trust and step into it.

Welcome, I hope to see you around.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the quick response and encouraging words, it’s really inspiring!

least: Thank you, I am hopeful that this site will be the right thing for me. And you make a great point about waking up fresh. So many times have I regretted drinking when I wake up in the middle of night feeling like crap, promising myself that I won’t drink or overdo it next night, but in the end I can never seem to keep my promises. I look forward to waking up feeling good again!

Coldfusion: Thank you! I will look at the links. As for AA, it’s a combination of a few thing. The religious aspect is hard for me to overcome. I know that I can try to pretend it’s not about that, it makes me feel uneasy. That aside though, I also feel very uncomfortable in groups in general, I have a bit of a social phobia, so groups of people are stressful to me. I know they are all people who have been in similar situations as I, and that they mean well, but I know I will just want to get out of there as soon as possible. Individual counseling might be a better option if I could afford it.

Anna: Thank you for the encouraging words. Changing routine is a good idea. I’ve never been a gym rat, but I could sure use some exercise. I’m definitely not in great shape, I’m sure the extra 1000+ alcohol calories every night hasn’t been helping.

Missy2: Thank you. Yeah, I think she is making it a bigger problem than it should have to be that I’m quitting. I think she is mourning something, maybe an “idea” of us. She probably doesn’t have a healthy relationship with alcohol, but for some reason that I can’t understand, she only ever drinks moderately. She cares about me though, and I am so very grateful for that. But, in the end, I have to do this for me, not even her. She’s not the one waking up every other morning feeling like crap.

Ghostlight1: Thank you. My drinking was never quite like that, it has gotten worse, and I imagine that at the end of the road I will also be a flat out drunk if I don’t stop. I, happy you managed to stop, I can’t imagine how hard it must have been.

Dee74: Yes, you are right, she is genuinely concerned, and at the same time I think she resents that I can’t control it better. I am happy to have someone who is worried about me, although in the end it doesn’t matter, I have to do this for me.

Thank you all so much again. I will try to make it a habit to check in here every night. I’m not sure I’ll have the energy or motivation to go to the gym (we’ll see), but I will try to think of some new routine or ritual at night.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

biminiblue: Thank you! Yes, that evening buzz is so very warm and welcoming. At the end of the work day I would just look forward to that so much. But I’m sure you are right that everything will be better when I don’t drink. Most of all I look forward to not waking up in the middle of the night feeling crappy every other night.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Finallytime, you are only 46, once you quit drinking you might find you totally have the energy for the gym.

I always knew I had a drinking issue, I used to take little month long breaks, sober January, sober November, sandwich the debauchery of the holidays When I finally quit, I started 1 month, then 6 months, then a year, then a decade... Now I know it is permanent and I have accepted that, I don't pine for my drinking days, I celebrate my sober days and life.
AA has saved a lot of people. I did some meetings, read their book. Not my cup of tea. Fortunately there are as many ways to get sober as there are to get drunk. This site has info on all of them.
Welcome to the sober life, it's a pretty nice place to be.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi FT, I think the hardest part for me was accepting that I had to give up drinking completely. Once I got over that hurdle, there were some other steps that helped, and maybe you could try.
- Even if your wife doesn't want to stop drinking, ask her to help by not drinking in front of you, and not keeping alcohol in the house. It's just for a while, not forever but it's hard to stop with temptation right in front of your nose.
- If you're like most, you look forward to drinking at the end of the day. I made sure I ate straight after work, and didn't hold back on sweet things, which I like. Your urge to drink is a routine your body looks to for relaxation. You can substitute other routines and gradually you'll associate them with relaxation.
- Anything that stresses your body or mind can trigger cravings for alcohol because that's been your go-to up until now. Don't allow yourself to get too hungry, thirsty or tired. If you do have a wave of cravings deep breathe, concentrating on your body. This will help you relax and the cravings will go.
- You'll be much better off with support. I suggest you visit your doctor and be completely frank with him/her about your drinking. It really helps to share.

Good luck and make a plan.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome finallytime. Glad to have you here at SR.

For me, I successfully quit when I reframed my thoughts. I couldn’t think about how I was going to miss that buzz, instead I made myself think about how I was looking forward to waking up clear and rested.

That made me feel less like I was missing out on something or more like I was gaining something.

Hope me to see you around the boards.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Those closest to us often make quiet observations and mention things as if they are not big deals. I had this happen with my wife, and one former girlfriend. I could have paid closer attention. I wish I would have, but I really didn't stop until I made the observation on my own. But the positive was that those outsider observations got filed away in the back of my mind, and helped me see the problem a little clearer, albeit many years later.

From your description of yourself, it seems to me that your wife's observation is probably spot on.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Finallytime, welcome. I'm still early in sobriety and not really in a position to give advice, but I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. AA doesn't work for me either, but I know this because I've tried it. Have you tried it? The first step, "We admitted that we were powerless and that our lives had become unmanageable" trips me up. Like you, my life never became unmanageable, and I don't feel that I am powerless -- as long as I don't pick up that first drink.

For others, all the steps ring true, and it works for them. You might want to give it a shot.

What's been working for me lately is AVRT. It just made perfect sense to me. Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT

Anyway, you do start to feel a lot better after even a couple weeks. The first few days are tough so you might want to consult with your doctor. Therapy helps a lot too once you get over that initial hump, and you'll find that you get much stronger at the gym.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I'm sorry I don't think it is fair for your wife to say "you" need to stop drinking.

I would ask her to do it as a team....

If she doesn't want to do it with you..possibly "she" has a problem as well.
I wouldn't say this really a fair thing to make someone else do. I think it's reasonable to request that someone don't drink in front of you, but you can't force someone to quit with you just because you are the one with the problem. I also definitely don't think it's fair for the OP's wife to demand he stop drinking. It's really up to the individual to make that decision. When I decided I needed to quit (I decided this, not my husband) I definitely didn't tell him he had to do the same. he is a normal drinker, so I'm not going to force him to stop drinking just because I'm not normal.

Finallytime: Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of support and information here. Many of us have used these boards alone to quit. I do think if you need more help with giving up you should give things like AA a go. I noticed you said you're socially uncomfortable. I am exactly the same, however I noticed that when I gave up alcohol I actually started to struggle a lot less with being around people. I'd been using booze to ease into social situations, but it was causing me to forget what it's like to handle said situations sober. The more sober time I had, the more I adjusted to being around people as my normal self. Basically everything gets easier when you give up!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My situation is a little different in that I decided to stop drinking on my own, my wife did not suggest it. However, my wife still drinks and I do not. I do not let her drinking affect my sobriety.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Did you stop? If so, congrats.

"Trying to quit today" doesn't cut it. "I will not drink again" or "I'm no longer a drinker" is better language to your Addictive Voice.

There are many different methods to get and stay sober, AA is but one of them. It didn't work for me in the end, but I did try a lot of different meetings in the first 3 months, got a sponsor, started working the steps, and realized that the religious overtones were just too much for me. But I really tried to make it work, and it was very valuable in the beginning. AND it works brilliant for many people.

This forum is a HUGE help, especially where you are now. Join the "Class of May (or June) 2019 thread with others who are giving it a go. Explore. Definitely check out the secular recovery forums for information on other non-12-Step/higher power methods.

I used many many things to get sober, and the combination worked to keep me there. The point isn't the method, the best sobriety plans and methods are ultimately what helps to keep you from drinking/using.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Finallytime - I'm really glad you decided to take action. I waited many more years, causing chaos & destruction in all areas of my life. This won't happen to you. Remember, we all understand what you're going through, & you're never alone.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im about 10 years younger than you, but went through just about the same scenario. I will this, I was right where you were before my last 6-8 months of drinking, and then things got horrendous. Where you are at now, I knew my drinking was a problem, but had no insight that i could live a rich and happy life without it. Thought once I made a few changes and slowed down my drinking a bit, everything would go back to how it was a few years prior. Your at a challenging point, but trust me a way better point to where the progression goes next. There a lot of helpful options and a lot of people going through similar circumstances. Just be cognizant that alcohal can be a beast to come off of, so please try to do things as safely as possible. Welcome and please keep us up to date when comfortable.