Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Wasted. Plastered. Stoned. Smashed - Words I used to be - Weekenders 31 May - 03 June 2019

Notices

Wasted. Plastered. Stoned. Smashed - Words I used to be - Weekenders 31 May - 03 June 2019

Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

That cat gif just proves my point that the lioness could easily jump a four foot fence. Electric wire or not.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Kayaking, academia, farmers markets, sausage fry ups, kids little and not so little any more!? This is a crowd i could get used to. Please do count me in for my second sober weekend, im going to make this one count.

my only real responsibilities this weekend are to pack for an upcoming holiday, attend at least 2 meetings, and read and work on building my sober life with intention and action.

Day 14 here we go
Old 05-31-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the new weekenders and the returning weekenders and hi to the regulars.

Roasting hot day here today.
First sunburn of the year I reckon
It was lawnmowers and weed eaters day.
Liked that remark about the AV trying to make me think I'm missing out... It's been that way here too lately. No way I can go back there though. So two fingers to the AV and time to have a great weekend.

Later weekenders.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Mr

Keep going LLG...
14 people connected to the weekender..
Feel free to join and post guests
Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi LiveLikeGold all this food talk is making me hungry!

Bim, that must a be a great sight, all the gorillas. Will we get to see pics?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Mags, gorillas don't really photograph all that well due to their coloring, and they don't pose together. Interestingly, gorillas who are in a family group mostly give each other a wide personal space. Like if you see two of them within 6-8 feet of one another, something is about to happen.

We could learn something there, I'm sure.

I don't take a lot of zoo pics, I just spend time there.

The baby giraffe keeps kicking off his therapeutic shoes. Yesterday they left them off and he was standing on his own. He appeared to me to be in pain, so we'll see what they decide today. He's doing much better than anticipated at not-quite a month old.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

In the UK we have a series called 'Secret Life of the Zoo'. It shows behind the scenes, capturing animal behaviour close up, as well as the relationships the animals share with their keepers.

It has been going on and off since 2006. Sometimes its sad but normally uplifting, stories of courtship, birth and play. Yesterday they showed an old episode, an elephant gave birth - to a baby elephant funnily enough, a rothchilds giraffe was extremely amorous as the females came into season eventually had his wicked way and a clown fish with an abscess was put in a tank with a cleaner shrimp in the hope that it would eat the infection away.

I change the channel when its sad
Old 05-31-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Really emotional day, cried about things but didn’t drink about them. I was very close, but I said just today. Keep it sober just today. I’m going to eat and nap, feeling the emotional drain after my long cry earlier.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mariposa, sorry you had a bad day, I hope having something to eat and your nap helped. ’s

Bim, they’re my kinda people, gorillas! They know to give each other space, I like that when mixing with humans.

Kaily, call me a wimp but I haven’t watched any of the secret life of zoo programmes, it breaks my heart if it’s sad, so I just don’t watch. I used to love nature watch but there was always some heart wrenching moments, I prefer ‘aw’ moments. sounds like you may be like that too!

I’m tired out today, visited family then my friend, white knuckle ride passenger at side of Mr.Mags, (he’s not that bad, it’s me really, I hate travelling nowadays) so nicely weary.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

So - Spotify suggests songs to me. Given the songs, the app must be under the assumption that I'm 'probably a teenage girl from early 2000s'.

Admittedly, I've given it plenty of reasons to assume that

Going to read a couple of pages from the LifeRing book
Old 05-31-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi all I hope everybody is doing well.

I have mentioned in some of my posts in the past that Las Vegas is my favorite place on earth. Tentatively I'm planning on spending a week there after I get my bonus in September. Therefore I'm proud to announce that today is day 777 of my sobriety! I'm definitely lucky to be alive and lucky to be here!

I'm going to get my afternoon workout in and enjoy the rest of this beautiful day. Have a good weekend everybody!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Great to see another lovely weekender thread - Thanks Mags - I'm in!

Spent the day with my sister and her family. We had freshly caught fish and chips on the quayside in the sunshine - probably the best I have ever had. She commented that I was looking well and asked me what my secret was. I replied 'fruit and swimming' not wanting to mention that it's 5 months tomorrow...

Anyway, enjoying the banter and photos here - keep it coming...

Warm wishes to everyone. Forwards.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

prayers mari

a solid number wtn
Old 05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on not drinking Mariposa, you can be proud of yourself for getting through.

Congratulations on 3 sevens WeThinkNot!

In a couple of minutes it will be June here which, according to the Meteorological Office is the first day of Summer in the top half of the planet. (no longer the 21st) Woot Woot! 9

It is also World Milk Day as i'm sure you knew already. Moo!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi - I'm a bit late to the party, but very glad to be here. I can't believe it is Friday night already but it was a short work week.

I've had a really emotional day (I was crying right there with you earlier, Mariposa, and hope you are feeling better now) and based on my past history, that is when I start to backslide into the drinking abyss. I have been feeling vulnerable the past few weekends and today was the tipping point. Thankfully, I am aware of the feelings that have precipitated such a backslide in the past and the feelings are out in full force. That said, I didn't drink over it and I won't drink over it.

From what I have been able to quickly read over in the last few minutes, it looks like a lot of busy weekend plans are out there. I am going to a show on Sunday afternoon, so I am looking forward to that. Going with a sober friend, so no chance of being around anyone who may have an enticing drink at brunch. I need to stay far far away from anything like that right now.

Hope you all have a good evening and/or start to your day.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Back from the zoo, beautiful day, packed with people who apparently heard it's summer now.

I just had dinner of sausage and spaghetti with added sauteed zucchini to cut the calories so I have room for popcorn later.

I've been watching "Designated Survivor" on U.S. Netflix. It kind of reminds me of some of the formulaic stuff they used consistently in "The West Wing" - which I liked. Kiefer Sutherland is making me cringe with his whispering voice in every scene, but other than that it's good! He is playing the President. What kind of President whispers everything? (Well, he is an Independent and I suppose an independent does as they want.)

No drinking for me tonight. Doesn't even come up on my radar.

See you tomorrow Weekenders.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I hope you’re feeling better, Mariposa.

I’m feeling less shaky in my sobriety right now. I think posting about it here helped.

Oh, and this happened a few minutes ago: I am at the water slides, and I saw some people I know. One of the guys had a big cooler full of beers, and when he saw me he said, “Hey, come have a drink! I’ve got your Diet Coke!” Yeah, people have gotten used to my non-drinking ways. So im over here drinking a frosty cold Diet Coke, about to go another round in the lazy river.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Checking in for the evening. I went to a new Friday meeting that I think I might like. Can’t really tell yet since it was a speaker tonight (last meeting of the month) but there were younger people there which I liked. 7pm may be inconvenient tho, so we’ll see. I’m just so awkward sometimes and have trouble talking to people after the meeting so I usually just leave. I always feel like I’m annoying or weird idk. Love that social anxiety. ✌️✌️

I forgot to report back on the farmer’s market!! I got some nice fresh veggies and some strawberries on Thursday. However there is a new pickled vegetable vendor that I need to check out next week and I wanna see if I can pick up some fresh pasta and/or smoked sausage and salmon. The only problem is that I have to bring all the stuff back to my office afterwards and then haul it all home on the bus, so I’m a little limited on how much I can buy. I can’t wait for peaches and summer squashes tho. One of my favorites is to get a bunch of carrots or radishes and then sauté the greens.

Otherwise, not much else. I’m interviewing for a small promotion for the cash office at the zoo next week which I’m excited for. I feel confident I’ll get it, but only if the manager accepts I can only work weekends. Two whole dollar raise, haha. But every bit counts. Also! I emailed a local animal shelter about volunteering and applied for a new job at my city’s planned parenthood. So I’ll see if anything pans out.

Mariposa, I hope you feel better! Crying can be therapeutic so hopefully after you’ve rested you’ll feel a bit more positive. Good on you for not drinking today. <3

Bonnie, sounds like you’re enjoying your weekend!

Bim, I expect tomorrow will be a busy day at my zoo too. Supposed to be nice. Glad the baby giraffe is doing well! We have a baby gorilla who just celebrated his first birthday recently.

Good night everyone!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I also finally uploaded an avatar picture of my cat, ironically named Mimosa. Mim for short.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
I also finally uploaded an avatar picture of my cat, ironically named Mimosa. Mim for short.
Aw, pretty kitty. I like the name Mimosa for a cat. When I was a kid, we had a gorgeous mimosa tree in our yard.