Notices

Alchol is destroying my life

Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't know who said it was a "spiritual" defect or who gave you that opinion of AA...AA is a group of people where you can make healthy new friends and also hear a lot of good stuff that helps to keep you sober.

My belief is that alcoholism is a disease it is also a fact from the Medical Society....I also believe anyone who drinks has some underlying pain or trauma....that stuff needs to be dealt with.

I'm not back in AA yet...but it kept me sober for 8 years..it was like free therapy..plenty of people to talk to....plenty of things to do....fun things...give it a try..nothing to lose.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I struggled for years trying to quit. AA, detox, accupuncture, naltrexone etc etc...nothing stuck. Finally sober now for over a year and a half. No AA no drugs, no counselling. Nothing. Other than a kind of mindswitch in my outlook. On my life snd what was happening. The struggle I had was not to quit drinking at all. The struggle was to continue my alchoholic life. Just getting through every day while drinking was a nightmare. Dealing with ensuring my supply. The horrible insanity. Guilt, insomnia, night sweats. Morning drinking just to begin to function. The sickness every day. The sheer panic that set in when I ran out and the liquor store was closed. That was my struggle which I feel finally free from and no way I want to go back to. For me, the struggle wasn't to quit...it was to continue. It would likely kill me. I hope you too can finally find your way out .
Old 06-01-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi thank you everyone for your support. I have been drinking like this for 3 years now and have had enough. I have tried detox, meds, counseling exercise ect. Can I do the 12 steps here?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information about kindling. A few months ago I was coming off a 3 day bender consisting of around 18 Beers a day. That night I was in a half a sleep half awake state, and experienced something that is hard to describe. It felt like surges of electricity running through my body. The best way I can describe it is like a faulty light flickering on and off. And I rember shaking waking up and being confused by the whole situation. Is it likely I experienced a sezuire?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adam26 View Post
Thanks for the information about kindling. A few months ago I was coming off a 3 day bender consisting of around 18 Beers a day. That night I was in a half a sleep half awake state, and experienced something that is hard to describe. It felt like surges of electricity running through my body. The best way I can describe it is like a faulty light flickering on and off. And I rember shaking waking up and being confused by the whole situation. Is it likely I experienced a sezuire?
No clue if that's a sezuire or not,but I've experienced the exact same thing/feelings a couple times, including the 'feeling' of my teeth being 'twisted' inward after a few 'hard days' of my past drinking style. Hasn't happened once since I've completely taken booze outta the picture. So,for me, it was a direct consequence of my drinking.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you are still drinking, the first thing to do is stop. It really doesn't matter what you have tried before - what will you do now? We can't tell you what your symptoms are or if you had a seizure but we can tell you it will absolutely NOT get better, indeed only worse, if you keep drinking.

Up to you - ER/detox/do it at home/AA....START. It's what we all had to do - hope you choose to quit.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forums. There’s a lot of support here. And support is great, but it won’t make you quit. Only action can make you quit.

That said, what are you willing to do to stop? True, AA is not the only way. Any program where you have to be accountable to yourself and others, take a good hard look at what got you here, and become willing to change from within can get you there. All sober people I know, whatever the method, have done those things and more. In complete honesty.

I’ve heard a lot of folks decline aa because of the god thing, but I have to admit I’d never before seen someone decline aa because they felt they already had the god thing down.

If you are willing to get out of your comfort zone and say yes to things until you find something that works, you have a good chance. I had to do a lot of things I didn’t want to do in order to get sober. If it was easy, there wouldn’t be thousands of us on here talking about it. It’s not easy, but it’s simple. And it’s doabke. If you’re willing.

I’m rooting for you.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have read everyones posts here and thank you for taking the time out to help me. I am currently on day 4 at the moment not much but a start at least
Old 06-02-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Every day is a start! Day 4 is great. You probably don't feel top notch but keep going, and be gentle with yourself. Glad you are here.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Adam, congratulations on deciding to take back your life.

Keep posting, and definitely keep reading. Day Four is so awesome. Keep it going.

Since you are/were an intermittent binge drinker, start making plans for what to do when you get the urge. Take a walk, a hot shower, eat, call a non-drinker friend, don't go to the bar, stay away from other heavy drinkers, etc. ? If someone invites you to go "out" have a reply ready. I stayed away from drinking situations for a very long time after I quit. "No, thanks," works every time.