Notices

Turned Down for Rehab?

Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turned Down for Rehab?

I met with my lawyer today who is guiding me through my divorce and custody case. He suggested that with my last relapse and the fact I’m going through a huge emotional change with the above that I should consider a rehab or an intense full day IOP for as long as my job will allow without getting fired. I have a solid 2 weeks I can take off in a row. I called a rehab and they said I don’t qualify because I don’t drink enough! Can that be true? I don’t need the detox portion. I thought anyone can check themselves into rehab? I also checked into some IOPs and most have a month waiting list. Any advice on if there is a true difference?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should also specify that this year, I’ve had had two drinking days. One on March 13 where I drank entirely too much white wine and last Monday where I had two glasses of wine. Last year, I had been sober beginning Christmas 2017.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I can understand why you wouldn't be accepted into rehab. You drank only twice in the last year and a half. Do you think you have a problem.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i too agree that with your very limited consumption of alcohol compared to those on a waiting list who can't go more than 6 hours without a drink, you probably don't qualify.

what was your motive in wanting to get IN to rehab?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess I’m being too hard on myself. I need additional help than what I’ve done in the past. I just started to go to AA again which is helping me stay accountable. Perhaps I need to focus on going to those coupled with individual therapy.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. Well insurance may not cover someone who doesn't fit the qualifications for rehab. So that might be it. But I'm guessing a nice rehab will take anyone with money...you got the cash they will probably take you. I know some of the posh ones in Cali don't have huge waiting lists and you could probably get in.

But, if you don't need detox, maybe consider something more along the lines of a retreat? Something with group therapy, yoga, hiking etc.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe outpatient or an addiction counselor. If you feel a relapse coming on, you know what to do. It’s good that you are taking preventive measures.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treesofgreen View Post
I guess I’m being too hard on myself. I need additional help than what I’ve done in the past. I just started to go to AA again which is helping me stay accountable. Perhaps I need to focus on going to those coupled with individual therapy.
you could add working the steps. meetings dont do crap for treating alcoholism.
do you have a copy of the big book and have you read it?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can't get into rehab, you might be better off going to AA all day every day for two weeks straight as that can be continued when you go back to work and you don't have to jump through hoops. Just show up.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and I'm sorry for the hugely painful process of divorce, whatever the circumstances.

My guess would also be the qualifications for insurance aren't met - which absolutely does NOT mean you are being "too hard on yourself" or aren't an alcoholic, or a problem drinker. I'm also somewhat familiar with distinctions between places that accept people in need of detox first only, then care, and other variations. I know here, there are places with IOP programs (that many can fit around a work schedule) that might have more broad requirements for entry- payment being a separate matter.

IMO, and lots of observation - anything you can do to demonstrate commitment to sobriety is positive for all legal situations. I'm an AA person and that is something you can start TODAY - many times, people get a sheet signed by a meeting leader, for lots of reasons.

But, and this might sound counterintuitive - your sobriety is MORE important than anything else. Yes, there are concerns about divorce, work, etc - but if you are an alcoholic then ultimately saving your own life by quitting is the most important thing.

Take care.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trees,
From how you describe your drinking, I understand why you don't qualify, and IMO, you don't need it. In your case, it would be like paying thousands of dollars for less than a month of AA meetings.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd say if you want to do the IOP, get on that month waiting list.

In the meantime do everything within your power to stay away from drinking and situations that may lead to drinking.

I can see why you may have been refused rehab - especially if you were going to use insurance and/or sick time.

Lots of people use this site as a touchstone for daily commitment to sobriety, me included. I'm sober over five years, it worked for me after a few months of AA meetings. There are a lot of online resources too...one of the podcasts I like is, "This Naked Mind." Sober Recovery also has a book section, if you like to read self-help things.

You can stay quit. Stick with us, keep posting and keep reading. Welcome (back) to the site.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It also just occurred to me- I'm betting your lawyer is not an expert on addiction., so the advice is probably based on practical experience w cases. Help on that specific issue is available in lots of other places, like a psych or counselor, or other things "short" of rehab.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. I’ve been on the phone all morning trying to sort this out. I’ve been accepted with my insurance to a 14 day IOP where I will stay at the facility. After that, my plan is to continue to go to AA as well as finding a new (certified) counselor in addition to a sponsor. I love this site for allowing me to be honest and hold myself accountable. It helps. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's great news!!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good news - best wishes to you treesofgreen