Notices

Finally clean but it hurts to much to feel

Old 05-27-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally clean but it hurts to much to feel

Im just under two weeks clean but the sadness im feeling is incredible, its actually hurting and making it hard for me to do anything. I just want to lay in bed, and im still suffering a little from the withdrawl physically.

I want to go back to work but im just so weak, how can i numb the sadness without substances? Thanks for your time
Old 05-27-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey IWalk,

i’m one month sober and I’m still not sure how to deal with feelings without using (in my case) alcohol, but what I can say for sure is that the feelings get a lot less intense pretty fast without substances! All the guilt and self-loathing and shame and anxiety are still there, in the back of my head, but they don’t completely overwhelm me and make me totally miserable the way they did a few weeks ago. So be patient! It will get more manageable.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

Well done for getting to nearly two weeks, great going.

This may sound odd but I say embrace the sadness rather than thinking about numbing it.

In early sobriety the emotions can be raw but that rawness is the person within making itself visible again. When feelings have been blocked by substances this can be hard but things balance out and settle down before long.

Be sad, cry, let it all out and start getting to know the sober you.

Hang on in there, things will get better
Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's so much that you go through in initial sobriety. Pain, frustration, emptiness. The truth is is that all that was there the whole time when we were drinking. It's just the drinking allowed us to run and hide, chasing after something that was never there to begin with.

Things get better as others have said in this site. I came to learn that that is the God honest truth. The clarity and calm that you'll get as you enter deeper into sobriety will sustain you. Just stay strong and keep pushing through. You're not alone, so many of us have been there. There is light, beautiful light, at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

IWalkTheLine

Each and every day without picking up a drink is a gift. Getting and staying sober is hard. The good news is with every day of not running back to the bottle, the flood of intense feelings won't come as often and they won't last as long. Hang in there. One day at a time.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks. It's still very early on for you but it will get better and better. Maybe work will help. I know for me getting back into a routine tends to give me more energy and focus. I get more tired staying at home than working.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
...how can i numb the sadness without substances?
You don't. Recovery is learning that sadness isn't something we need to escape from. It's to be experienced, suffered through, and finally, in its own time, moved through.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been sober since May 12, so 16 days.
I can tell you that my thoughts every single day are not fun. They're depressing and I'm down on myself a lot.

But I'm proud of myself for one thing - I didn't give up on getting and staying sober. No matter what, you should be proud of yourself for that too.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a little while to get used to feeling things again - but I did. It's like learning to walk again.

Carl's right - resist the urge to numb it out - it mightn't feel like it exactly now but it's good to feel. It's what normal folks do

This is not the best it's going to get - hang in there IWTL

D
Old 05-27-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's normal to feel that way in early sobriety. I sought out therapist who told me that it's okay to have feelings of regret/shame etc. It won't last forever. Just lay in bed if you need to. I am not sober very long and I didn't leave my apartment for almost a week when I detoxed from the booze. Felt like I was going.crazy. I improved quickly and went on anitdepresssion medication. Outlook has changed remarkably.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes - feeling things hurts and it's one of the hardest parts of getting sober IMHO. Having said that, we are supposed to "feel" things - both good and bad. Wanting to numb out the bad is an addictive/avoidance maneuver.

One thing I can tell you is that once you are able to face things and see them through - the long term satisfaction you get is far greater than anything a bottle or pill can provide.