Notices

Summer

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Summer

Summer’s here. I always struggle, in general, during summer. My schedule changes and I get to rest and relax for 10 weeks. Sounds like it should be great and enjoyable but it isn’t. I thrive on structure and routine so 10 unstructured weeks, left to my own devices, takes a toll on me.

The AV has already kicked up twice since Friday. I’ve had some late night anxiety attacks in the last two weeks.

I think I need to dig deep, guard against complacency, and use my sober tools diligently now. I’m already coming up with daily plans, places to see, chores to do, etc to give a sense of structure to summer.

I will stay sober, no matter what.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have the same issue--I create structure by planning a big project. This year it is creating a big perineal garden and totally purging and painting house interior walls. That way I can be inside or out depending on weather.

It is very satisfying and fills former drinking time nicely
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think Hawkeye13 has a great idea. Productive and an accomplishment. Plus time consuming.
Makes me want to do it myself.
I hope you do find something to use your time on, instead of just sitting around trying to fight off cravings.
It's summer, there's a lot to do. Enjoy!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm the same, I need routine and structure.

Can you maybe do something in the 10 weeks, volunteer work, DIY, take up a new hobby/hobbies, travel. Be a tourist in your own town/city and spend a week there doing what tourists do
Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re thinking ahead. Maybe you can take a class this summer, or volunteer somewhere a few days a week. Getting involved in a project is another good idea.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so weird -- I was just thinking the same thing! Need to find something to do to occupy my time. The accordion seems like such a neat instrument.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I need to first start small: establish a wake up time, eat breakfast daily, take my morning meds, get showered and ready.

I have some big projects planned and some day trips planned. I probably need to make some lists - having a to do list is helpful to creating a sense of structure.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like we share the same profession. It’s that time yes, but this break can be about relaxation. I’m planning kayaking, painting, daily gym time, getting a summer job and anything positive to fill up my free time. It will not be easy, but it’s possible. The saying idle hands are the devil’s playground is very true, fill up the summer with activities that would not go well with alcohol is my plan. Alcohol really has no benefits.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just checking in on this thread in that summer presents such interesting ways in which my demons chatter - not that they are given any time on stage, they are no threat to my sobriety. But even so, I am aware of the pangs and the wistful wants they send my way when I see people outside drinking in the sun etc. What it is. I don't drink.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Summer gets to me sometimes as well. I used to really enjoy some drinks around the pool. It was all fun and games till the next morning then it was hell to pay, but somehow I still think about it and breiflly miss the relaxation of it. These thoughts are dangerous I know but I can't shake them. I am however still sober almost 5 months.