Notices

Fear of returning to the abyss

Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of returning to the abyss

I'm scared.

I can't. I shan't. Go back in time.

If someone offered me a time machine to go back, coupled with a billion dollars. I'd still decline.

I'd rather not live at all, than live like that.

I get chills just thinking about it.

Your support means a lot to me!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you keep making the right choices there's no way you'll go back Pippo

D
Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don’t drink or take drugs and live honestly and with integrity following a program of recovery such as AA’s 12 steps and all will be OK. This site and 1000’s of people not on this site are testament to that.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic 🙏
Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no clue how I've reached this point in my sobriety where being sane is more important to me than taking the edge off, but I'm here- somehow. I've had shorter spells before, but the pros of drinking always seemed to eventually outweigh the cons in the end.

My life didn't evolve into a fairytale the day I quit drinking. But that's okay. Rome was not built in a day.

Grateful. So very grateful. I'm free.

Happy to be a part of this community, and now posting regularly as I feel it helps me greatly!

Thanks for talking with me, it means a lot.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Don’t drink or take drugs and live honestly and with integrity following a program of recovery such as AA’s 12 steps and all will be OK. This site and 1000’s of people not on this site are testament to that.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic 🙏
I have no experience with recovery programs, but in my view, they are some of the most noble organizations in the world- helping countless individuals reclaim their lives, one step at a time, for free no less. Incredible.

It's very hard for me to open up about my alcoholism to my own family members, let alone a group of strangers. Which is why I never pursued that route. I guess I am just wired to be reserved, especially given the sensitivity of this subject.

I'm doing the best I can to tackle this enigma in my life, without causing much of a drama. But I do acknowledge that this could backfire as well. Having someone to talk to is very important. Sharing my thoughts on SR helps me quite a bit. Maybe as I progress in my recovery, I'll become more vocal about my journey on other platforms as well. It's certainly on the cards.

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We all have that fear. The difference is we’re avoiding going there and doing well at it 😀
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pippo View Post
I have no experience with recovery programs, but in my view, they are some of the most noble organizations in the world- helping countless individuals reclaim their lives, one step at a time, for free no less. Incredible.

It's very hard for me to open up about my alcoholism to my own family members, let alone a group of strangers. Which is why I never pursued that route. I guess I am just wired to be reserved, especially given the sensitivity of this subject.

I'm doing the best I can to tackle this enigma in my life, without causing much of a drama. But I do acknowledge that this could backfire as well. Having someone to talk to is very important. Sharing my thoughts on SR helps me quite a bit. Maybe as I progress in my recovery, I'll become more vocal about my journey on other platforms as well. It's certainly on the cards.

Thanks for your time!
No problem, thank you for your response. Whatever works is the only thing that matters in my experience. If what you’re doing works then great, if you feel you need some extra tools in your sobriety toolbox then you know where to find them. Also all the AA literature is available online for free so is always there to read. I found and find it very useful; Moreso now actually than I did early on. The chapter More about alcoholism and the dr’s opinion really resonated with me when I started my recovery.

All the best 🙏
Old 05-27-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The damage I did to my brain and body is deep and in part irreversible.

Things didn't seem to get better as much as I got used to them.

I still have many of the same issues as when i was a fat stinking drunk, I have adjusted how I handle them.

In some cases, I have decided to not even try. Folks know the old me and I can't expect them to suddenly give me a different level of respect.

I suffer in silence alot. But, talking about it here is my only real outlet. Folks that haven't admitted they have a drinking problem (I now believe even a few drinks a week is going to lead to problems) refuse to relate to me. When I was an active addict I made any and all excuses to drink.

If i was still drinking j would be sitting here drunk right now. I would probably weigh around 240 and my BP would be around 200/100.

Instead, I am fresh out of the shower after some nice cardio. I went to see an awesome rock show last night and enjoyed homemade chili mack all weekend.

Thank God for SR and all of you.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pippo, you never have to back. You are making the choice every day to live a sober life and it sounds like you're doing great.

We are always here for you.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I still have many of the same issues as when i was a fat stinking drunk, I have adjusted how I handle them.

In some cases, I have decided to not even try. Folks know the old me and I can't expect them to suddenly give me a different level of respect.

I suffer in silence alot. But, talking about it here is my only real outlet.
I could not agree more with this.

The issues in my life have also largely remained the same. Sober or otherwise.

There hasn't been much of a change in certain people's behaviors (in many cases, hostility) towards me. But I've accepted that I have no control over that.

There is little to no recognition that an effort (in the form of quitting a major addiction) has been made on my part in order to improve the relationship.

Said people have just picked up other sticks to try and bring me down now. Some sticks valid, some imaginary and superfluous.

Like you, I've given up seeking their approval anymore. As futile as milking a dead cow.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Pippo, you never have to back. You are making the choice every day to live a sober life and it sounds like you're doing great.

We are always here for you.
Thanks, Anna! Your kind words mean a lot to me.

Yes, it's true. I am doing great as far as my sobriety is concerned. It's one of the most significant aspects in my life, especially in these early stages which is definitely uncharted territory.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just keep doing the next right thing--you living well and thriving will not only feel good in the moment, but people will literally run out of "ammunition" over time and change their attitude as the sober days / weeks / months pass.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

some fears are healthy fears.
i remember a lot of my past. i put in a lot of footwork to get away from who and what i was and with one sip of alcohol my past WILL become my future-only worse.
thats a healthy fear-one that doesnt control me,though, because i have the power of choice of whether or not that happens.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GREAT NEWS!!!!

You don't have to go back in time....

There is no need, nor pressure....

You are FREE to Be - present and clear.... right now, right here.

In sobriety.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll make mistakes in my future, everyone will.

One mistake I won't make again, however, is have another sip. That chapter of my life is over.

Death before slavery to the bottle.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Just keep doing the next right thing--you living well and thriving will not only feel good in the moment, but people will literally run out of "ammunition" over time and change their attitude as the sober days / weeks / months pass.
Thanks for the encouragement, Hawkeye!

I know I've talked about other people quite a bit.

But obviously I am aware that this is my sobriety, my journey, my health and my sanity.

My end goal has never been to clear out the arsenal of my naysayers. In fact, that's not why I've quit drinking at all. I valued the pleasure of alcohol far more than others' opinions. Maybe I still would, if I had to choose between the two.

I got sober because I wanted me back. That's all.

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
GREAT NEWS!!!!

You don't have to go back in time....

There is no need, nor pressure....

You are FREE to Be - present and clear.... right now, right here.

In sobriety.

Thank you, FreeOwl.

Here's to good, sober times ahead!