Notices

Grilling

Old 05-25-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grilling

So here i am bbq for memorial weekend with nothing but a cigarette in my hand. The weather is awesome and i keep thinking about all the people sitting in their yards with a big full cooler of beers. But im enjoying this day with my daughter. I keep slipping but hoping this time sticks
Old 05-25-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It got easier and easier. At first every special day was a trigger.

These days, 3 day weekends are opportunities to see a great show, get some extra sleep, do something nice for my family and myself etc etc etc.

My addiction is for the rest of my life. Relapse looms like the Reaper in the corner. I had to change my lifestyle to a very proud born again non drinker.

I don't believe the hype that was started with my family as far back as I can remember. My Dad would laugh as I drank the suds off his beers. I ended up getting falling down wasted several times a year as a pre teen because of the lack of supervision and parental disregard. I thought drinking was cool.

Folks that didn't drink were missing out and that just meant more for me. I didn't get it.

I maintained this lifestyle until I was 50 years old. At that point, the only way I could get rid of a hangover was to drink again.

I am still recovering from my last hangover that was 4 years ago. The damage is insidious. Folks regret relapse after decades of sobriety. The damage is permanent.

Booze is not a celebratory liquid. It is a highly addictive CNS damaging neurotoxin.

I used to stay drunk over the weekend, drink several times a week (sometimes everyday), and definitely everyday while on any vacation.

I was constantly battling internal demons, that I tried to blame on my job etc., that were strengthened by the booze that temporarily suppressed them. Afterward I was always a red eyed weak pathetic craving mess.

Thank God for SR. This place educated me and saved my life.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Enjoy the BBQ and stay strong!
Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto!
Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

At first, I was very resentful. As D122 said, special days are difficult in the beginning. I felt like I was missing out, even though I knew it was never actually fun any more. Every time I tried to moderate, I thought I'd feel the old euphoria I once did - but it was gone forever. I knew I could never have one or two - it would always be too many. My personality would change - the day would be ruined - there'd be a hangover & remorse. Not worth it! I'm glad you posted.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried my first Arnold Palmer today! Did a lot of yard work and am spending time with the family. Amusement park tomorrow instead of being a hungover waste of a day. Life is better this way. It gets better tonis. Hang in there.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the long weekend!
Old 05-25-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe think about all the people sitting in their yards having fun who don't have a big full cooler of beer beside them?

They're out there

I hope you have a good weekend Toni

D
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets better every time you do it.

Then because your life does change and your friends will change, you will go to a bbq on holiday Monday afternoon, maybe your spouse has a beer and you are all home by 5pm. Make lunch for work the next day and get a decent sleep. The first few times it will be almost bewildering, and slowly you realize, this is how normal people live. They don't pretend they don't drink that often, then as soon as they are through the door at home, grab a bottle of wine and go "answer emails" in their office all night.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grilling and drinking literally went hand and hand for me. Thought grilling might be a trigger for me, with anything else time has a funny way of changing perceptions. An ice cold soda does the trick now.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I grilled last night. And went to the beach with a couple friends today. Last night my friend and I had a great time grilling asparagus and burgers, and I had super ice cold seltzer, and it was a perfect evening of laughing and talking and planning the beach day today. I cleaned the grill and the kitchen because I wasn’t drunk and letting things go. I woke up this morning happy to be awake. At the beach I had seltzer in my Yeti and the sun was warm. Laughing, talking, sometimes silence taking in the sounds of the beach. Holiday weekends are great sober.